RV Adventure gone very wrong - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2022, 01:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
RV Adventure gone very wrong

I do not know if anyone has been following the sad story of an Indiana couple on a RV vacation in NV, AZ region where it goes horribly wrong for them. They are lost due to bad GPS directions, get stuck in the mud and so on. The family does notify NV police but they are, allegedly, slow in mounting the search. The husband does not make it out of the situation alive. The wife is airlifted to some hospital.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/lo...b-49d9a21fd0bd
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
So very sad: Woman rescued from Nevada mountains released from hospital, tells family what happened https://www.wthr.com/amp/article/new...b3btRZTRNbZ930
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Yet another story of people making a string of incredibly bad decisions, with severe consequences.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 E19
This is a very sad, but repeating occurrence. When travelling from Tonopah, Nevada to Tucson, Arizona there's no reason to believe that a non-paved route is the correct one. In other words, take the GPS directions after using your own prudent judgement. As far as the authorities being slow to act, there's a lot more to the issue than calling up resources to look for folks who might have gone to Las Vegas instead of Tucson and forgotten to let family know. The area between the Silver Peak lithium mine and the California border is as uninhabited and remote as you're likely to find in the Southwest. Very Sad for all involved.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:57 PM   #5

Trailer: Past time to update- canceled my 5.0 ��
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yet another story of people making a string of incredibly bad decisions, with severe consequences.
While bad decisions are sad, especially with this kind of outcome, I think it would be worse if foul play had been involved. That’s initially what I thought when I first heard the story and before they found the RV. I’m sure details will come out as the wife tells her story.
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 19 - 2021
This made me think of James Kim, which happened around 15 years ago. Not camping, but took the wrong turn and got lost. This was during the age of cell phones, but they were so far in that they were not able to get a signal. I believe someone at the "phone company" was able to figure out the last tower to have contact with them and they got a rough idea of where to look for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Kim
alanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:14 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sad story.....
Old 04-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Woman rescued from Nevada mountains released from hospital, tells family what happened

Beverly Barker told her family what happened when she and her husband got stuck in the Nevada mountains last week.

INDIANAPOLIS — The Indianapolis woman who was found with her husband more than a week after the couple went missing in the Nevada mountains is sharing the story of their ordeal through her family.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 21NE
GPS is great, most of the time, but we also have a paper map in our TV.
I found it interesting that NV would not issue a Silver Alert because the couple were not residents. They finally did after much pressure from the family and news media.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 E19
So sad. There still are bad GPS places, cell service. I will ALWAYS carry a paper book of maps. I still don't do GPS. But not to take anything with them in the car
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:35 PM   #11

Trailer: Past time to update- canceled my 5.0 ��
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Trials View Post
So sad. There still are bad GPS places, cell service. I will ALWAYS carry a paper book of maps. I still don't do GPS. But not to take anything with them in the car
There are great swathes of the US where I have no cell coverage (AT&T) so I never rely on it. I carry a couple of atlases and try to premap my route. Also have a Garmin In Reach Mini in case of emergency. I have the cheapest membership which covers a small number of texts monthly, but more importantly has an SOS feature for health/life emergencies. Have never had to use it and I hope I never will, but it’s a good piece of safety equipment to have.
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post
There are great swathes of the US where I have no cell coverage (AT&T) so I never rely on it. I carry a couple of atlases and try to premap my route. Also have a Garmin In Reach Mini in case of emergency. I have the cheapest membership which covers a small number of texts monthly, but more importantly has an SOS feature for health/life emergencies. Have never had to use it and I hope I never will, but it’s a good piece of safety equipment to have.
I agree, a satellite-based emergency messaging device that sends GPS coordinates is a good piece of safety equipment. That's why I bought a Bivy Stick last year. I hope I never need to call for rescue, but it's cheap insurance.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:41 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
This terrible story is a wake up call for all us roadies exploring out in the wide open spaces. You just cannot assume because you have modern options that Murphy's Law can't get you.
Attached Thumbnails
MuleyPtC.jpg  
Old 04-08-2022, 09:56 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm sticking to toll roads, turnpikes and roads previously traveled....... stay safe
Old 04-08-2022, 10:07 AM   #15

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
The situations described in the OP and the linked James Kim tragedy are indeed sad and tragic. Most all that can be said in hindsight has been said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I agree, a satellite-based emergency messaging device that sends GPS coordinates is a good piece of safety equipment. That's why I bought a Bivy Stick last year. I hope I never need to call for rescue, but it's cheap insurance.
While satellite-based tracking / emergency messaging devices are great, and do provide an added degree of safety / reassurance in many if not most cases, I'm sure you recognize that technology is not infallible.

I know personally of two instances (and have read of others) where folks in genuine emergency situations were not able to notify others or be located by such devices when they were injured / incapacitated with the device not having a sufficiently clear view of the sky and therefore unable to establish the satellite links necessary for them to do their job even though they were triggered. Fortunately both of my friends were eventually found by 'traditional' search-and-rescue teams, but it took days in each case; both folks were well-enough prepared that they were able to survive until that occurred and both recovered fully from their injuries.

I'm certainly not nay-saying the value of those devices, IMO they're a great innovation for folks in many if not most emergency situations and more often than not aide in rapid rescue. But sometimes things conspire such that even the best technology can leave one in a bad spot longer than one might wish, so planning and preparation as if one doesn't have that device is probably still the prudent strategy for 'adventurers'.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:16 AM   #16

Trailer: 2023 E19
Stories like this remind me of a cardinal aviation rule that really should be observed with any mode of transportation when travelling in unfamiliar territory:

"Never let an airplane take you somewhere that your brain didn't get to five minutes earlier"

In other words, maintain situational awareness and know exactly where you are and where you’re going at all times....
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:14 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Don't openly depend on maps either. In June, 1972 AAA routed me on Colorado county route 12, a dirt road that goes over Mosquito Pass (13,185') for a drive between Alma & Leadville. When I mentioned the route to the friends I planned to visit in Leadville, they laughed, and mentioned that there would be at least 12' of snow on the road & I might think of a better route!

Here is a photo of the road on the Leadville side of the pass taken in August on a later trip:
Attached Thumbnails
All at Mosquito #1281409.jpg  
Old 04-08-2022, 11:59 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I was not really conscious of these devices beyond their presence in outdoor stores for the mountaineering set. There's a list of different ones on OutdoorGearLab with various capabilities and prices; they liked the Bivy Stick.

Yesterday's news included articles about the 5-click trick on an iPhone, which allows one to send an SOS, something I didn't even realize was there.

But, yeah, staying out of trouble in the first place, there's a lot to be said for that. I try to maintain situational awareness. So far, so good.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:03 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I do not know if anyone has been following the sad story of an Indiana couple on a RV vacation in NV, AZ region where it goes horribly wrong for them. They are lost due to bad GPS directions, get stuck in the mud and so on. The family does notify NV police but they are, allegedly, slow in mounting the search. The husband does not make it out of the situation alive. The wife is airlifted to some hospital.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/lo...b-49d9a21fd0bd
Everyone if you do any sort of boondocking or even camping and hiking in National Forests of Parks, please consider getting an inReach two way satellite text messenger.

The Safety Plan is under $15 dollars a month. It allows two way text messaging anywhere you have a view of the sky. You can receive incoming text messages as well as make out going ones. Even with the Safety Plan you can send unlimited number of 3 precanned messages. Ours precanned messages include 'outhiking', 'camped for the night', and a message to our daughter.

In addition to text messaging it has an SOS function, luckily we have never needed it.

We originally purchased ours for hiking on the Appalachian Trail. We initially did the 'Freedom Plan' where you can suspend service when and not pay a monthly fee. We then decided that it was worth the $15 a month to keep it always active.

We keep our in our tow vehicle and carry it whenever hiking.

The advantage of an inReach over simple personal locator beacon is multiple. The Air Force Rescue Coordination Center (AFRCC) will often delay dispatching help to an EPERB signal until they attempt to contact your emergency contacts on file. If your emergency contact says 'as far as I know he's fine'. They might not send any help (yes, it has happened). Additionally, even after they initiate search and rescue the don't know the nature of your emergency and therefor may not have the appropriate gear needed. With an inReach you are in two way contact and can describe exactly what your emergency involves. Another reason why a two way device is superior is if someone at home has an emergency you can be contacted. If one of your family members is seriously injured or even dies while you are camped in an area where you have no cell service you can be contacted rather than finding out a week or two later what happened at home when you return to an area with cell service.

The inReach can be used alone or paired with a cellphone.

Garmin inReach Mini 2, Lightweight and Compact Satellite Communicator, Hiking Handheld, Orange

inReach Subscription Plan Annual Safety Plan $11.95 USD
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 12:22 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Sad story.

I as a hunter now 70 I travel off road and off grid many times a year. I have been lost before there was gps. And I was stranded over night twice in the past 5 years. Once in my buddies truck which got stuck and once in my truck when a 30 amp fuse blew at the battery terminal.

Both times we had sparse cell service and were aided the next day.

After that my wife purchased me an InReach Mini, I have and still carry on every outing a Rhino gps.

The In Reach must have clear view of the sky to send sos or text messages. A basic plan for it is 14.00 per month. But I often suspend the service when not traveling.

A better feature that has got me out of some spots is the live mapping the In reach provides even if your service is suspended. I Bluetooth my InReach to a small iPad which gives me live real time mapping, shows my exact location on the screen.

Again it must have sky view. But if you turn it on and move around it will eventually lock on the satellites. I still always have a map with me. Depending on a cell phone is one of the worse things you can do in the wilds.

My Rhino also has chips for whatever state I am in and provides live map locations.

One of the most troublesome things you can do is travel with these devices off. If you go more than 100 miles it will take longer for the to find themselves and look on to the satellite.
I travel with them on or allow time for them to locate themselves once I get in the general location I intend to recreate.

Nothing is full proof. A layered security plan is the best option.

I also owned a Spot Locater which can also two way communicate now. The spot has a built in key board which is better than the InReach. If using the InReach mini for texting you need to pair it with a phone or IPad, otherwise typing on the mini is one letter at a time.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote