Anyone pull a 5.0TA with a Toyota Tundra? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #41

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Never understood the logic of buying a $50,000 truck based on someone else’s non objective opinion . If 1400 lbs of payload capacity is marginal for the trailer you wish to tow
there are readily available 1/2 ton trucks with much higher payload capacities ( Ford ,GM)
Our 2019 Ram has a payload capacity of 1650 lbs which works for our Escape 21 but if we were to tow an Escape 5.0 TA it would not be our truck of choice .
Buying a new vehicle based more on intended use then on brand loyalty makes more sense to me !
Forcing something to do what it was not designed or built to do and pushing it to its limits has never worked well for me
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #42

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I did buy the truck.

The payload is between 1,440 to 1,660 lbs for this truck. I think that should be okay. It is a Heavy 1/2 ton. Full towing package including factory electric brakes.

I could not find it on the sticker on the driver's door.

Both Escape and the Hitch company said this would be just fine.
It's fine in the sense it can be done within the limits, but I would not call it fine in the sense you don't have to monitor your weight closely. We have a 2018 5.0 TA, and have measured the pin as high at 970 lbs. This was with two bikes on the back but no fresh water. Usually we travel with some water which lightens the pin. Typically for shorter trips 1 week or less our pin is ~800 lbs. to 830 lbs.

You need to review the sticker on the door jam to know the actual numbers you have to work with.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
😳 Can’t fix stupid....
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Tough to get a good nights sleep in that baby.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Gonna buy one tomorrow (I think).

Want to put the Anderson Hitch in it. The bed is 5 1/2 feet long. The guys at Trademasters are like, no problem. Everything will work fine.

Any thoughts on the truck or the hitch?

Specs - Toyota Tundra

Vehicle Trim: Limited Pickup 4D 5 1/2 ft

Drive Train: Four Wheel Drive

Engine: V8 5.7 Liter

Transmission: Automatic 6-Spd W/sequential Mode

Exterior: gray

Interior: gray leather

Thank you!!!
I have a 2012 Tundra double cab, 4x4, 4.6 l, 6.5 ft bed w/a rail mounted Anderson and it works great. As always you have to balance how you load the trailer and watch your payloads.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #46

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Gonna buy one tomorrow (I think).

Want to put the Anderson Hitch in it. The bed is 5 1/2 feet long. The guys at Trademasters are like, no problem. Everything will work fine.

Any thoughts on the truck or the hitch?

Specs - Toyota Tundra

Vehicle Trim: Limited Pickup 4D 5 1/2 ft

Drive Train: Four Wheel Drive

Engine: V8 5.7 Liter

Transmission: Automatic 6-Spd W/sequential Mode

Exterior: gray

Interior: gray leather

Thank you!!!
Hi Tim,

I have a 2017 Tundra Platinum which is one trim level up from the truck you are considering. It has the CrewMax cab and the 5.5 ft bed. I have the B&W Turnover ball with the Andersen hitch. I also added the Roadmasters Active Suspension and a Toyota TRD anti sway bar to the rear. I'll post picts.

We picked up our 5.0 TA end of April and already have nearly 10,000 miles on it. It has been a wonderful combo. It is just the wife and I and our little dog. We carry some stuff in the bed like chairs etc but are well within the payload limits.

With my suspension mods, and raising the pin box on the tailer to the upper position, the entire rig tows dead flat and is like a dream on the road. It does not get as good mileage as the ford eco boosts but with the best reliability rating of any 1/2 ton truck on the market (per Consumer reports) that was my main criteria. I average 11.5 MPG.
Attached Thumbnails
11084723-997F-45BE-B395-42275F17C1E0.jpg   EE41656C-3A90-48F4-8FBC-0FF058A2EBE2.jpg   75EADD14-491D-4199-A72A-C9261264A495.jpg   D778AE94-17D2-4E36-8409-4D1312B2592B.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:46 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I like the Tundra reliability but not their 5 speed auto with o/d. My 2009 Ram Hemi had a 5 sp w/od and got 12 mpg , towing or not. The 2014 Ram, same motor, 8 sp transmission gets 19-20 empty and 13-15 towing. With all the 10 speed automatics I'm surprised that Toyota has not improved this small weak spot.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I like the Tundra reliability but not their 5 speed auto with o/d. My 2009 Ram Hemi had a 5 sp w/od and got 12 mpg , towing or not. The 2014 Ram, same motor, 8 sp transmission gets 19-20 empty and 13-15 towing. With all the 10 speed automatics I'm surprised that Toyota has not improved this small weak spot.
By "5 speed auto with o/d" I assume that you mean 6-speed; the transmission in the Tundra has a direct-drive 4th, and overdrive 5th and 6th gears. In case you're curious, the 545RFE in a 2009 Ram 1500 Hemi direct-drive 3rd and overdrive 4th and 5th gears. The ZF HP8 used in the Ram trucks has a direct-drive 6th, and overdrive 7th and 8th gears. The Ford/GM 10-speed has a direct-drive 7th, and overdrive 8th, 9th, and 10th gears. Overdrive doesn't matter anyway, since all that matters is the overall product of transmission and final drive gearing: a taller final drive and shorter transmission gearing has the same end result.

The continued use of the AB60 6-speed in the Tundra is not a great feature, and it's a bit surprising, especially given that Toyota had the first 8-speed automatic in production (in a Lexus model, but it's the same company). On the other hand, Ford only moved the F-150 from a 6-speed to the new 10-speed in the 2018 model year, and I haven't noticed any complaints or criticism about that 6-speed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:32 PM   #49

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C03899D-F0D2-4411-B893-44298C606B2B.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	43961 or this last month at ACE campground in Waco Texas. 3 slides. Towed by that Tundra. He said it handled fine, got 7 mpg. Going to take it to Yellowstone and glacier next summer. I suggested he needed a bigger truck, he just rolled his eyes and walked off. I wish him luck.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #50

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Hi Tim,

I have a 2017 Tundra Platinum which is one trim level up from the truck you are considering. It has the CrewMax cab and the 5.5 ft bed. I have the B&W Turnover ball with the Andersen hitch. I also added the Roadmasters Active Suspension and a Toyota TRD anti sway bar to the rear. I'll post picts.

We picked up our 5.0 TA end of April and already have nearly 10,000 miles on it. It has been a wonderful combo.

Thanks for that, it really helps. My Tundra, they say, is a Heavy 1/2 ton, apparently meaning it is closer to a 3/4 ton. Not sure if that matters. I know Payload is the main concern.

Do you have air bags installed? I am scheduled to get them at the same time Trademasters puts in the 5th wheel.

$900 to make micro adjustments. I think it is a good investment if it keeps things balanced. Now I wonder what you guys and ladies think.

Please let me have it!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #51

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I have never been a fan of buying a new vehicle and then making mechanical changes / modifications
I would have purchased a Ford F150 that comes from the factory with the capabilities you need to tow an Escape 5.0TA
Secondly having such a low payload capacity limits the number of passengers and cargo you can carry . It’s just one more problem / concern I rather not deal with
I ran the numbers with my truck towing an Escape 5.0 TA and they didn’t work for me
Good luck !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
What ? What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Hi Tim,

We picked up our 5.0 TA end of April and already have nearly 10,000 miles on it. It has been a wonderful combo. It is just the wife and I and our little dog. We carry some stuff in the bed like chairs etc but are well within the payload limits.

With my suspension mods, and raising the pin box on the tailer to the upper position, the entire rig tows dead flat and is like a dream on the road. It does not get as good mileage as the ford eco boosts but with the best reliability rating of any 1/2 ton truck on the market (per Consumer reports) that was my main criteria. I average 11.5 MPG.

Hi Arnie
I’m crushed, Iowa is bordered by 6 states, your map indicates you’ve been in 4 of these states. What’s the deal with that? Czechs have a greeting that is universal. Vitame’ Vas
We Welcome You!
Iowa Dave
Old 12-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: UncleTim... I've never been balanced, nor a "Stable genius" either. I just tow where my wife wants me to!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:32 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I would have purchased a Ford F150 that comes from the factory with the capabilities you need to tow an Escape 5.0TA
Good luck !!
And now a little experience. I admit I have never owned a Ford Truck. Only Explorers, or Exploders, as a friend of mine likes to say.

From my experience (377,000) miles. I would never, ever, trust a Ford again. Everything, and I mean everything breaks. I had two doors fail to open. My neighbor had two. My seat quit locking in place and I had to put a 5 gallon jug behind the seat to drive. Windows quit, my wife's seat warmer quit (eventually this worked in my favor), the defrosters fell off, all the gaskets shrink and eventually start pooping out, the tailgate opens randomly. Finally the truck would not go into gear, the linkage was stuck. I gave it to NPR. They have no resale value!

I am a data guy! I checked with lots of other Ford owners, they have the same experience. You pay for the truck twice. The second time is full price and labor is extra.

I have seen the engineering and I am not going back.

I think I made a great decision. Now it will either prove itself out or not. I was told I probably do not need these airbags as the Anderson hitch has the ability to lock in at different heights. Other experienced owners agree. The main thing I want to ensure is the rig has no sag. And I can get the balance and level close to perfect.

I freely admit I do not have experience with actual trucks. Just Exploders. They suck!

Everyone that matters, Escape, Trademasters, and other Tundra owners say this is going to be great. I think it is too. I will tell you if I am wrong too.Cause I will sell the tuck and be extremely conservative with it at first. I hold no ego. Unless it sneaks in and I do not see it. It does from time to time.

I often travel remote sections, really remote. I know lots of secret places. I need a truck you only pay for once. I believe the engineering is solid.

BTW, I love the truck! Thank you for your opinion. All thoughts are welcome.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #55

BTW, did you guys make your reservations at NK'MIP Campground yet? I made my Yesterday. They are open and ready. A little scattered, but opened. They are very nice.

https://campingosoyoos.com/

I can't tell you where we are because we are staying less than two weeks. That means no assignments.

I hope to see you all there, with an intact Tundra and 5.0TA.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
And now a little experience. I admit I have never owned a Ford Truck. Only Explorers, or Exploders, as a friend of mine likes to say.

From my experience (377,000) miles. I would never, ever, trust a Ford again. Everything, and I mean everything breaks. I had two doors fail to open. My neighbor had two. My seat quit locking in place and I had to put a 5 gallon jug behind the seat to drive. Windows quit, my wife's seat warmer quit (eventually this worked in my favor), the defrosters fell off, all the gaskets shrink and eventually start pooping out, the tailgate opens randomly. Finally the truck would not go into gear, the linkage was stuck. I gave it to NPR. They have no resale value!

I am a data guy! I checked with lots of other Ford owners, they have the same experience. You pay for the truck twice. The second time is full price and labor is extra.

I have seen the engineering and I am not going back.

I think I made a great decision. Now it will either prove itself out or not. I was told I probably do not need these airbags as the Anderson hitch has the ability to lock in at different heights. Other experienced owners agree. The main thing I want to ensure is the rig has no sag. And I can get the balance and level close to perfect.

I freely admit I do not have experience with actual trucks. Just Exploders. They suck!

Everyone that matters, Escape, Trademasters, and other Tundra owners say this is going to be great. I think it is too. I will tell you if I am wrong too.Cause I will sell the tuck and be extremely conservative with it at first. I hold no ego. Unless it sneaks in and I do not see it. It does from time to time.

I often travel remote sections, really remote. I know lots of secret places. I need a truck you only pay for once. I believe the engineering is solid.

BTW, I love the truck! Thank you for your opinion. All thoughts are welcome.
My F150 is my 3rd Ford. Owned an Explorer for 10 years, in that time the only repair I needed was an intake manifold gasket that was replaced 4 years into ownership. Ford covered it under a recall. I had to replace the battery about 3 months before I sold it. The guy who bought it drove it another 3 years before having to replace the clutch. Had a Ranger for 11 years and the only thing that broke on that was a shifter fork in year 10. Drove it another year as a 4 speed and when I sold it got pretty good $$ for it. My current vehicle, 2016 F150 has a little better than 30k with 10k towing so far has been trouble free. 🤔 Maybe I’m just lucky? The F150 has been the best selling pickup in America for 41 years, the best selling vehicle for 36. Imagine that🤔
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #57

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Know a lot of Ford owners and NO ONE has had even remotely your problems. I probably have easily over 500,000 miles on three Ford trucks. I also have easily another 400,000 miles on Chevy trucks and have had nothing happen, except my 89 went through 3-4 starters and then we used locktite to the threads and the problem stopped. For some reason many had the same problem and they also used locktite and their starters lasted. The 89 Chevy tranny went out at 210,000 miles, but I was farming at the time and it spent half it's life pulling 350 and 500 bushel wagons. I've been happy with both Ford and Chevy trucks and my 2015 F150 is the first I've ever traded before 200,000 miles.

OK, there was one: our POS 2003 Chevy 250 diesel DuraMax had poor power and got HS fuel mileage (2003 was not a good year for the DuraMax). In 2006 the 03 was exchanged for a used 03 Honda Odyssey that last month went to the graveyard at 277,000 miles, also donated to NPR. It pulled our Scamp and Casita, for 100,000 miles pulling, with no problems either.

It makes me wonder. . . . . . . . . . . .

Perry
Old 12-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #58

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I bought a 1994 Ford Explorer in 1998. I wanted a "truck" that had power nothing, not windows, not seats, nothing. My buddy in Ford leasing at the time kept an eye out for a good clean vehicle. Took four months to find and it was a clean Eddie Bauer edition, with power everything.
Ran it for ten years. Only thing that broke was air conditioning. Got a belt for a vehicle without air and bypassed the AC. Just kept going.
Gave it to my daughter and within weeks it blew the head gasket. Not bad for an 14 year old vehicle.

She sold it for $800.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #59

It makes me wonder how much money NPR makes?
Old 12-20-2019, 08:05 PM   #60
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Love my F150. Have loved each and every F150 I've owned, and every F150 owner I've ever met, from Jim to Donna to Reace along with many local friends, love their F150 too. There is a reason it's been the best selling truck in America for more than 4 decades. But feel free to contradict with anecdotes.