Battery disconnect in storage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2017, 07:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Battery disconnect in storage

Picked up 2017 19 ft in July. Very happy with trailer. Thought I could store the trailer with the battery disconnect in the off position and the 150 watt solar panel on the roof would keep the battery topped off. Went by today to check on trailer and meter for battery read 1/3 charged and voltage read 11.6 volts. Hope I have not damaged the battery. Will the panel charge with the battery disconnect in the off position? I am a newbie so any advice is appreciated. Thanks,
mquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquirk View Post
Picked up 2017 19 ft in July. Very happy with trailer. Thought I could store the trailer with the battery disconnect in the off position and the 150 watt solar panel on the roof would keep the battery topped off. Went by today to check on trailer and meter for battery read 1/3 charged and voltage read 11.6 volts. Hope I have not damaged the battery. Will the panel charge with the battery disconnect in the off position? I am a newbie so any advice is appreciated. Thanks,
I would have thought that the solar charging would not be disconnected. I installed my own solar, and know that the charge is not affected by the disconnect switch. That said, if you store the trailer outside with solar installed, I would not worry a lot about the small amount of drain that might happen when stored and leave the disconnect on.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:48 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The way I understand it that the battery disconnect turns off any parasitic drain from on board sensors but allows solar to charge. Turn the switch back on and see what happens. BTW, I have never turned any of my switches off, the parasitic drain is minimal and I'm at 100% daily.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I've been storing my '21 with the battery disconnect in the off position for over 2 years with no problems. I wonder if your solar charging system is working. At the voltage you indicated - 11.6 - you should look at the solar controller and see a minimum of 5 amps being delivered on a sunny day. If possible, use a portable voltmeter you trust to measure the voltage right at the battery terminals. Anything under 12 v means the battery(s) can accept all the amps the panel can make. ( Do this test with no 110v connection, and with no tow vehicle connection, which is likely the situation you have when in storage.) If you get the impression that the solar is not contributing a charge then a call to Escape is indicated.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I concur with checking the readout on the solar input. Twice when we had the 19'we got home from being on an outing and the controller indicated no voltage going to the batteries. I called the controller people
And he told me to check the dip switches. The stack of red solo cups had hopped around and bumped
Switch #1 to off. Second time I did not have to call, just reset the switches. Told Nigel the story, he smiled and said " Those red solo cups can cause trouble"
Dave
Old 08-29-2017, 08:13 PM   #6

No luck

Turned battery shutoff to on position, battery continued to lower in voltage. I did notice that there was current flowing into the battery from the solar panel. Turned back off and disconnected battery. Because the only thing that is connected to the battery in the off position is the solar panel, I am wondering if the blocking diode in the controller is not working properly. My thinking is at night and when then panel,is in the shade, current is flowing out of the battery. Has anyone else had a problem with the blocking diode with the factory supplied solar panel? Thanks for the above suggestions and any other thoughts.
mquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquirk View Post
Turned battery shutoff to on position, battery continued to lower in voltage. I did notice that there was current flowing into the battery from the solar panel. Turned back off and disconnected battery. Because the only thing that is connected to the battery in the off position is the solar panel, I am wondering if the blocking diode in the controller is not working properly. My thinking is at night and when then panel,is in the shade, current is flowing out of the battery. Has anyone else had a problem with the blocking diode with the factory supplied solar panel? Thanks for the above suggestions and any other thoughts.
2 things - the blocking takes place in the controller, not the panel (unless you install a blocking diode yourself). The controller does use some battery power when the panels are no longer producing, but it is minimal, and should not pull your battery down.

Also, you should not allow sun to hit the solar panel without a battery connected to the controller (unless you add a switch between the panel & the controller); it can damage the controller - check the GoPower installation manual.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
mquirk,
You didn't mention weather your trailer is stored under cover ... roof over head. As I understand it, when you turn off the battery switch, everything is turned off except the propane detector and it alone can drag your batteries down. I store my trailer in an steel building with roof but no side walls however I have two humongous sun blockers on each side giving me an effective three sided garage. Great weather protection but errant photons have no chance of reaching my panel.

Ist storage session was for 3 months battery switch off.... maximum time I could stay away from my single axel girlfriend ... battery was very low upon my return but batteries came right up after plugging in to the storage electrical outlet.

Second storage session was for 6 months over a winter. Battery switch off and battery cables were disconnected ( and labled). Finding were that my new to me Tacoma had a totally dead battery. Cost in excess $100. Seems my head had bumped the light switch for my canopy and had drained the battery. Trailer battery happy after hooking up to storage 110v outlet for a brief charge.

Current absence, trailer switch off and batteries unhooked. I didn't expect to be gone for another 6 months. Effects ... yet to be discovered.

Next absence: Switch on, batteries hooked up and charged by Battery Tender. Easier ... we'll see ....?

Tom
Old 08-30-2017, 07:31 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
... I understand it, when you turn off the battery switch, everything is turned off except the propane detector and it alone can drag your batteries down. ...
Tom, In our 2017 21', the storage switch turns off the propane detector, as well. The only thing I can think of that continues to get on-board battery power while the storage switch is turned off is the power jack. Seems like there was something else, but I can't recall right now.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:41 AM   #10

I believe the battery disconnect switch isolates/turns off everything inside the trailer, except the solar will continue to charge the battery. All detectors are off. The power jack, being outside is wired direct to the battery and does not go through the interior electrical system and not impacted by the interior disconnect switch.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
mquirk,
Trailer battery happy after hooking up to storage 110v outlet for a brief charge.
Tom
Our 19 is in a storage building but at this point I don't have a 30 amp feed wired up to make the shore power connection. Might be a dumb question, but is there any way to connect up to a standard 15 amp receptacle with an extension cord?
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
Our 19 is in a storage building but at this point I don't have a 30 amp feed wired up to make the shore power connection. Might be a dumb question, but is there any way to connect up to a standard 15 amp receptacle with an extension cord?
Sure. We just use this adapter and a heavy-duty extension cord.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Wiring/M...-1530DAVP.html
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09349.jpg  
Old 08-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #13

Yes, you can use adapters available to feed 15 or 20 amp service to your trailer. Mine is plugged in 24/7 to a 15 amp garage circuit. It keeps the batteries and cools down the refrigerator before leaving and in winter operates a 400 watt heater inside. I'm using one of these which I also take with me camping for those times that 30 amps are not needed and I leave the bulkier 30 amp cord in the front box https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Femal...+to+15+adapter
Attached Thumbnails
71ECK5BTmxL._SL1500_.jpg  
Old 08-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
I thought that ETI gave everyone one of these adaptors

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Epicord/277-000136.html
Old 08-30-2017, 01:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, you can use adapters available to feed 15 or 20 amp service to your trailer. Mine is plugged in 24/7 to a 15 amp garage circuit. It keeps the batteries and cools down the refrigerator before leaving and in winter operates a 400 watt heater inside. I'm using one of these which I also take with me camping for those times that 30 amps are not needed and I leave the bulkier 30 amp cord in the front box https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Femal...+to+15+adapter
Do you plug the 400Watt heater directly to one of the trailers plugs or do you plug it to one of the garage's electrical outlets?
Miguezc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post

They do, but you have to use your 30 amp cord set with the one you mention, with the adapter I mention you can use a 15 amp extension, your choice.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguezc View Post
Do you plug the 400Watt heater directly to one of the trailers plugs or do you plug it to one of the garage's electrical outlets?
I plug it inside the trailer, no issue.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Tom, In our 2017 21', the storage switch turns off the propane detector, as well. The only thing I can think of that continues to get on-board battery power while the storage switch is turned off is the power jack. Seems like there was something else, but I can't recall right now.
Thank you Dale,
Perhaps I have a misunderstanding about my battery switch. I thought I read in my owners manual that with the battery switch off, the propane detector would continue to function as a safety feature. My manual is onboard my trailer which is stored some distance away .... I'll check when I can as I want to be sure ... another day .... another lesson ...

Aaaaah thanks Dale for adding another item to my already too long "To Do" list.

Tom
Old 08-30-2017, 07:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
As Jim noted, when our camper is in storage, I'd rather run a common extension cord from the house to an adapter located at the camper, exposing it to the daily elements, than run our nice 30 amp cord from the camper to an adapter located at the house, exposing it to the daily elements. But it's a personal choice....
Old 08-30-2017, 07:58 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
I think as with lead acid batteries only have X amount of usable Led and zinc .so do solar panels . Maybe it's best to rest them while in storage by covering them and give them a rest.
I don't think they run at100% for ever ? Unless there built by NASSA .