C-pap - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2019, 03:27 PM   #21

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
It’s what you do to function normally.
I don't think anyone is questioning a CPAP's benefits. After I was diagnosed with sleep apena I thought it was a cruel jock that I felt like absolute schit all the time and now I had to wear this contraption on my head and listen to Darth Vador sleeping beside me. In six weeks I realized that this CPAP machine was the single most significant thing in my physical well being in years. At 63 years old I looked forward to retirement so I could just sit in my recliner and wait for death. The CPAP machine changed all that.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
CPAP shelf

The shelf above the bed in our E21 was too narrow and the ResMed Airsense 10 would not sit there. Built a small shelf, held in place by velcro to hold the CPAP machine. The two small machine bolts hold the machine in place during the night. We have ETI install both 120v and 12v in the face of the overhead cabinet. I wanted to be able to reach the machine to turn it on and off while in bed and the shelf makes that possible. Putting the machine in an overhead cabinet at night when in use made it too high to reach comfortably to turn on/off.
Attached Thumbnails
email_CPAP shelf_E21.jpg  
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
I wanted to be able to reach the machine to turn it on and off while in bed and the shelf makes that possible. Putting the machine in an overhead cabinet at night when in use made it too high to reach comfortably to turn on/off.
You may not have autostart turned on. With the ResMed AirSense 10, there is an autostart feature that allows the machine to start & stop by itself when donning and doffing the facemask. Access the clinician's menu and you can toggle on the autostart feature.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:33 PM   #24

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post
I use the same one camping (with the 12 volt adapter) that I do at home, since they cost the better part of $1K down here in the states. I do Turn off the humidifier when camping as it can draw a bit more power. I am about 4 years into it now.

I have the same CPAP machine and have always used my humidifier with no problem. I believe using the humidifier is important when I go camping and see the ambient humidity sometimes as low as 15 or 20%.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:08 AM   #25

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I used an Airsense 10 for awhile, I stored it over the bed in our 21 and used my inverter and a plug ETI installed in the upper cabinet face. During the day, I simple stashed the mask and hose in the cabinet and closed the door. Easy.

Greg
Old 10-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17A
Maybe consider using one of these Digital sleep apnea device - D-SAD
No power outlet required. Perfect for your silent night.
ekhaya2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekhaya2 View Post
Maybe consider using one of these Digital sleep apnea device - D-SAD
No power outlet required. Perfect for your silent night.
Here's another. https://www.inspiresleep.com/
Old 01-10-2020, 11:43 PM   #28

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
I'm posting about my CPAP experience in the hope that it will be helpful to others.

Most importantly: If you use a CPAP machine, you can use it in your Escape, no question about it. Here are a few tips from my experience to help you be happy with your setup.

1. Use a machine that operates on 12 volts DC. It will be easiest to set up and will be the easiest on your battery. There’s a good chance your current machine is a 12 volt machine. I use a fairly new Philips Respironics Dreamstation CPAP. It runs on 12 volts and most of the other machines I've used do too.

Here's how to check for 12V. Read what's printed on the power supply, that brick located somewhere in the middle of the power cord you use to power your machine at home. The power supply will list its input specifications (probably 120-240 volts AC) and its output specification used to power the CPAP. If the power supply outputs 12 volts DC it's the exact match for your trailer battery. (All CPAP machines will also print their voltage on a bottom sticker, another place to look.)

There are some recent CPAP machines that run on 24 volts DC or only on 120V AC (shore power or inverter). If that's your machine, you can make it work but at greater expense and inefficiency. You’ll need an inverter to create 120V AC from your 12V DC battery when boondocking, losing 10-20% current efficiency depending on the quality of your inverter and how you use it.

2. After finding your machine runs on 12V DC, you need one more thing: a new 12V DC Power Cord to plug into your camper’s DC outlet and run directly to the 12V DC input on your machine. You can leave at home the AC power supply unless you’ll be stopping at a motel or a friend’s home while traveling. I strongly recommend getting the DC 12-Volt Power Cord that’s made specifically for your machine by the original manufacture. They’re overpriced at about $25 but are robust and have the correct electrical plug to match the input receptacle on your machine. There are multiple CPAP supply stores on the Internet who will have the cord you need.

3. You will be concerned about how much electricity your CPAP draws; you don’t want to run your battery down too far. Here’s how to evaluate your CPAP setup to get the information you need to be safe:

- Charge your camper battery fully before you use your CPAP the first time. Even if you have just a single battery, if it’s in good shape I promise your CPAP won’t hurt it in one night if you’re powering the machine directly from the battery on 12 V DC.

- The first night, if you’re still worried about hurting the battery, use the CPAP without the humidifier. The humidifier uses a heating plate to warm the water for humidity; this takes even more power than does the CPAP blower. Perhaps by the second night, if you’ve topped off your battery again, you’ll run the test again with the humidifier on.

- When you get up in the morning after the first nights use, check the status of your battery’s charge. Hopefully you have a battery monitor that measures battery state of charge by keeping track of amp-hours in and out of the battery. But even if you don’t, you’ll probably find the CPAP used somewhere between 1/4 and 2/3 of the amp-hours you normally use during a day for lighting, the refrigerator, the furnace, etc.

My battery monitor shows that my CPAP draws a bit of power (maybe 3-4 amp-hours) if I leave it plugged in even when not in use. That’s not a whole lot on energy but I unplug anyway during the day. At night, my machine averages about 2-3 amps per hour when running. That’s 14-21 amp-hours for 7 hours of use, a significant draw especially for a single-battery system that may only have a total useful capacity of 50 amp-hours. But my figure is with the humidifier turned on; without it, the average amp draw would be closer to 1 amp, using much less of the battery’s capacity.

- You’ll need to figure out how to replace all those amp-hours each day to keep your battery charged. Solar panels, generators and shore power are the typical solutions. Once you have a general understanding of how much electricity the CPAP uses, you’ll learn what it takes to restore power each day for the following night.

The benefits of a good night’s sleep with a CPAP certainly outweigh the moderate work and understanding needed to make it work. Good luck with your setup; post any questions you may have.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:36 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Very good review of using a CPAP off battery. It mirrors my experience. The only thing I could add is that some CPAP's will not operate the humidifier when running off 12 volt. There must be some sensor that determines if you are plugged into 120 or 12 volt?

The lack of humidifier can change your comfort level but does not mean you should not use the machine.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #30

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I quick question for other cpap users. Do you use a cleaner machine in your trailer that doesn't take a ton of power and perhaps runs off your camping battery pretty well?

I am thinking something like a SoClean or a Virtuclean machine. Any thoughts?
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #31

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote from most #28
"There are some recent CPAP machines that run on 24 volts DC or only on 120V AC (shore power or inverter). If that's your machine, you can make it work but at greater expense and inefficiency. You’ll need an inverter to create 120V AC from your 12V DC battery when boondocking, losing 10-20% current efficiency depending on the quality of your inverter and how you use it."

You do not need to use an inverter for a 24 volt CPAP. You can buy from ResMed for example a 12-24v converter which is what we use. Fortunately our new to us 5.0TA has a 12 volt outlet at base of bed on Beth's side so when boondocking we just switch the 120vAC-24vDC for the 12v-24vDC converter. We use the humidifier and never have had the battery below about 75% even using the furnace.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:14 PM   #32
DJW

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA/2019
We bought our Escape used....pretty sure they said all plugs could be used with solar charged batteries. Will the receptacle look different? labeled? Will it hurt to plug in C-pap to see if it will turn on?
DJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #33

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW View Post
We bought our Escape used....pretty sure they said all plugs could be used with solar charged batteries. Will the receptacle look different? labeled? Will it hurt to plug in C-pap to see if it will turn on?
It sounds like they were telling you that they had an inverter with the "all outlets" option. Assuming that is the case, you need to find the switch or button to turn on your inverter (when you are not plugged into shore power). It is probably a button labeled "AC" on your solar panel monitor, hold down for several seconds until a little "AC" icon appears on the display. Here's a photo of ours, yours may be different depending on the year of your trailer. After the inverter is turned on, it takes a bit for it to go through its starting process and power up the outlets - 30-45 seconds or so.

You should update your avatar to reflect the year and model of Escape you own, will make it easier for people to answer questions particular to your trailer and equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar controller.jpg  
Old 02-08-2021, 04:29 PM   #34
DJW

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA/2019
Thanks..will update soon.
DJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #35

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
My CPAP is a 12 vote machine and works just fine..... does not drain the battery much for a nice nights sleep. I bought the CPAP as a 120 volt.... yet it turned out that it was a 12 volt with a transformer to covert the 120 to 12 volt..... so all I had to do was buy a 12 volt cord. :-)

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:37 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Good machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
My CPAP is a 12 vote machine and works just fine..... does not drain the battery much for a nice nights sleep. I bought the CPAP as a 120 volt.... yet it turned out that it was a 12 volt with a transformer to covert the 120 to 12 volt..... so all I had to do was buy a 12 volt cord. :-)
Which political party has endorsed this machine? Popcorn
Iowa Dave
Old 02-08-2021, 05:45 PM   #37

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
The Medicare party.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
My son uses a CPAP in our Escape. It is preferred to operate the CPAP on 12 volt. The rationale is: It is a 12 machine, why convert it to 120 volt, run it through the inverter and then convert it back to 12 volt. So much overhead is incurred in making all those transitions.

We do boondocking about 80%, running at 12 volt the CPAP is a big draw during the night, all depending on how many hours it operates during sleep. It definitely requires dual six volt batteries, lots of sunshine and perhaps more than a single solar panel.

While plugged into shore power the CPAP will operate exactly as at home.

While running at 12 volt the water in the CPAP will not be preheated. It is still recommended to add water, however.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:03 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
I do have an inverter but I use a 12 volt cigarette socket with a ‘special’ cable to plug into the cpap.
Like someone else said my cpap has a power brick that is normal household A/C input and it outputs 12 volts DC to the cpap. So with an adapter cord it just plugs into a cigarette lighter socket.
It is a phillips dreamstation. And the 12 volt cable was listed in the manual as an optional thing I could order.
It is better to run a 12volt thing straight from the cigarette lighter, than to boost the 12 volts up to 120 a/c only to have a power brick convert it back to 12 volts again.
I think the Resmed brand is 24 volts so I would have to run that one from the inverter unless there is a 12 volt car type of adapter for that brand.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:11 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
The Medicare party.
I am a member and have been for some time. I used to belong to the beer party. And before that the birthday party.
Iowa Dave