Considering a change from a Casita to a Escape 19 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #11

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21
casita 17 or ?

We used a Casita 17 for several years, a 19 escape for almost 3 years and a 21 escape now for just over a year and lots of miles and nights. We could not go back to either the 19 or the Casita.
Jack

azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
One point that I have not seen come up yet is trailer width. All Casitas are the same classic small-trailer width (80 inches or 2 metres) as the single-axle Escapes (13', 15', 17' original 5.0); the Escape 19' is 4 inches (or 10 cm) wider. The extra width is part of what makes the interior space more liveable; it is also a contributor to some more air drag, more difficulty seeing around the trailer, and a bit more difficulty getting into tight spots (although a Escape 19' is still much narrower than most travel trailers).

The Escape 21' is another 4 inches (or 10 cm) wider than the Escape 19'.

My current trailer (not an Escape yet) is about the width of an Escape 19'; I would prefer narrower, but for enough space I should actually have wider. Life: a series of compromises.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I jumped in with a 21 from the get go primarily because of all the two footitis posts that crop up.

I liked the layout too.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
We used a Casita 17 for several years, a 19 escape for almost 3 years and a 21 escape now for just over a year and lots of miles and nights. We could not go back to either the 19 or the Casita.
Jack
It is extremely comforting to read a post like this especially when we ended up ordering the 21 after very serious consideration to both the Casita and the Escape 19. Without actually camping in them, you just aren't sure. And it took a trip to Chilliwack to make up our minds between the 19 and 21. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
It is extremely comforting to read a post like this especially when we ended up ordering the 21 after very serious consideration to both the Casita and the Escape 19. Without actually camping in them, you just aren't sure. And it took a trip to Chilliwack to make up our minds between the 19 and 21. Loren
We had a 17LD Casita (for the king bed lengthwise in the Casita) but the added width of the 21 and the permanent no-crawl over bed made the difference for us vs a 19. Although the 21 bed is only 54 inches wide compared to a true queen bed, we flopped on one at a rally and decided it would work fine instead of a full width queen - and it has. Also had ETI put us in direct contact with their mattress vendor and ordered the firmest one they could make as we found the ETI version a bit too soft. I can still use the Tacoma mirrors without extensions with the 21 width fine while driving, although I did add a rear view camera for backing into my storage building that I also find useful when on the road and at camp sites.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
I jumped in with a 21 from the get go primarily because of all the two footitis posts that crop up.

I liked the layout too.
We got the two footitis out of our system by going with the 19. We just didn't care for the layout of the 21. How convenient then that ETI makes a model for every taste!
Old 11-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Jack
On the 19', is that the oft-mentioned bed climb-over or some other things? Someone just told me they are getting another 19' because of bed size and location. It is very particular to each buyer but there may be other considerations that have not been mentioned.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
I like the permanent bed in the back of the 19'. The climb over bothers my wife a bit more than myself, as she is the one having to climb over. Of course, I tend to make more night time trips than she does and also rise first in the mornings, so the sleeping positions do make sense for us. I could not ever see moving up to the 21' but the 5TA does have a real appeal to me. Maybe in a couple years when I am ready to switch my daily driver to a truck, it could be time to upsize the trailer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Our first Escape was a 17B and loved it. Wanted something larger though as we were going to be out longer post retirement. Checked out a 19 and thought it was just a slightly larger version of the 17. The 21 definitely has more elbow room where you don't have to say "excuse me" going by in the aisle. For anyone with a full-size truck the 5.0 TA may make good sense.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:04 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Jimboweeks,
We had a Casita for 8 years and had a great time with it. Now that we are retired and able to camp for longer times we wanted something a little bigger and with possibly enough room for the grandkids. I think you would like the 19 or the 21. The bunk option in the 19 is nice but the climb over bed and smaller bathroom led us to the 21. You should look at both models - call Escape and they can tell you where to find some models to look at, or go to a rally. Once you've decided you could look for used but they are hard to find. New is great too.
Good luck, its all good!
Kathie
PS The grandkids had a great time camping with us this summer - here they are with the dinette turned into a big bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1011.JPG (144.2 KB, 21 views)

Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote