Covers - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-21-2015, 01:27 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Bend, Oregon
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 46
Covers

I covered my 17 ft Casita with a Calmark cover and found it costly but effective. Was wondering what others thought about covering my 19' Escape?
Thanks
Bobo
Bend
TV 2008 Toyota Sequoia
2016 19' Escape
__________________

Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:22 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,588
Here's a thread on the topic:

Escape 19 measurements for Calmark Cover
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:18 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
I covered my 17 ft Casita with a Calmark cover and found it costly but effective. Was wondering what others thought about covering my 19' Escape?
Thanks
Bobo
Bend
TV 2008 Toyota Sequoia
2016 19' Escape
We have one for our 19 . Just put it on a couple days ago after a wash and wax because she is going to sit for a couple months . We have to worry about sun .over the years for other rv's have just about had them all . This cover fits the best and we feel it was worth it . Pat
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,824
I've used them for the last 9 years, worked well till this past winter.

By mistake I bought the cheap ADCO cover (they changed the styles). Very windy cold winter, while the cover held up fairly well, when removing it this spring I found the trailer was dirty, which is a first. Combination of the dirt and the wind ground in the dirt. Washing did not take it all off, left kind a light brown haze at all the corners. I buffed all the corners to remove it. I'm taking it that it actually wore down the Gelcoat a bit and buffing restored the original sheen.

While I blame a cheap cover that allowed fine dirt to get through, I don't think I'm going to use one again, even a better one. I'm undecided on putting up an RV sized carport, they are pretty ugly.

On the plus side for Escape, the dirt may well have worn holes in the rubber roof of my old trailer, just light scratching to a fiberglass trailer.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,723
A good wax job is my choice.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I've used them for the last 9 years, worked well till this past winter.

By mistake I bought the cheap ADCO cover (they changed the styles). Very windy cold winter, while the cover held up fairly well, when removing it this spring I found the trailer was dirty, which is a first. Combination of the dirt and the wind ground in the dirt. Washing did not take it all off, left kind a light brown haze at all the corners. I buffed all the corners to remove it. I'm taking it that it actually wore down the Gelcoat a bit and buffing restored the original sheen.

While I blame a cheap cover that allowed fine dirt to get through, I don't think I'm going to use one again, even a better one. I'm undecided on putting up an RV sized carport, they are pretty ugly.

On the plus side for Escape, the dirt may well have worn holes in the rubber roof of my old trailer, just light scratching to a fiberglass trailer.
Hi Bob . I am not a sales person for CalMark. As said previously have used all kinds of covers . Because I can't put up a shelter where I live went with this CalMark cover . I have had my cover for about a year and half . This material is softer and because it is custom made for your trailer fits very nice . It keeps the dirt off and have not found any abrasion from dirt etc. I did however find the same problem you speak of on the previous covers Adco was one, on my other RV's .I was hesitant at first ,cost and worrying about causing more problems then just not covering . But so far I am happy . I also got them to make a separate cover for my box in front because that is a constant wash and wax due to it 's design . Water and dirt sit on it . Hope this helps but please do what makes you feel comfortable . Pat
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
.... I ... went with this CalMark cover . .. . Pat
Pat,
Did you happen to take your 19 to Calmark, since they're in Oxnard?

When I get our 17 home, that's what I was planning to do: take it to their shop, so they could verify my measurements, and see exactly where things like A/C and Solar stick out or stick up.
__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A: 2011 Honda Pilot
RLTW
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,824
Thanks Pat, while I believe a good cover like the Calmark would not have the same problem, a carport wouldn't either. I'll probably not do anything this season as we'll be out on the road for most of the rest of the year through March, will decide next spring. With the cost of the CalMark, a carport is not all that much more.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #9
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 6,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
...With the cost of the CalMark, a carport is not all that much more.
A well built carport adds to the asset of your home. When you go to sell, being able to say "Covered RV/boat storage" is a plus.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Pat,
Did you happen to take your 19 to Calmark, since they're in Oxnard?

When I get our 17 home, that's what I was planning to do: take it to their shop, so they could verify my measurements, and see exactly where things like A/C and Solar stick out or stick up.
Hi Don . Almost there ! Actually they came to the house . They had some kind of new measuring device . They wanted to keep my 19 on file for future use for other customers . talk to them maybe they would do the same for you or that sounds like a good idea to go there . I am getting excited for you too now . Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.