Dealing with difficult neighbors - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Old 10-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #11
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
If you live in a buggy area, I've always found one of the large bug zappers plugged in 24/7 and properly located can yield a lot of fun.

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #12
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I would comply with the law, but the next time she complains about something that is perfectly legal, tell her you are in compliance with all zoning requirements, and let her know that if she persists in her complaints, you will file a harassment suit. Typically, these people are all about exerting control, and once threatened with a lawsuit, shut their mouths forever.

2015 F150 2.7 EcoBoost (Big Spot)
2015 5.0TA (Little Elsie)
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:12 PM   #13
Commercial Member
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I had a difficult wealthy neighbor who decided to sue me over a property line issue (he purchased without a survey) as I controlled the high ground and his view over a huge valley, about 30 miles in width. 8 years later I won the court case, and my fencelines remain where they were.

However, in order to protect his garden area from chemical spray drift, I built a 200 ft long 6 foot tall galvanized metal junk yard fence (described as an "overspray drift barrier" on the construction permit) 4 ft from the affirmed property line with all the framework and support cabling in his view.

He can no longer see anything but rusty galvanized metal....and I get to see the pretty side!
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #14
Site Team
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
He is a "green" way to deal with neighbors....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6b9dc407093a1996681789286a5a49cf.jpg (89.2 KB, 41 views)
never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #15
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Now that's funny.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:21 PM   #16
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I believe the consensus that you've gained from the previous posters is spot on. It's not worth the hassle to fight these cretins especially if eventually the code is on their side. I have experienced similar neighbor situations and while I used to be both mean and devious, finally won when I moved away to a much nicer home and gave the old girl a final wave. Just comply and go camping. I always say there's a special place in Hell for those people. Now a resident of Benton county Iowa where we can have a campfire in the back yard, don't mow and call it a prairie restoration and shoot guns off the back porch.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #17
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Look on the bright side. I live in a college town, where multiple cars in the driveways, some on front lawns, and some even being lived in are not abnormal! While your neighbor may be a PITA, it sounds like your codes are at least reasonable, and meant to protect property values.
2009 Tacoma Crew Cab, TRD 4WD
2007 Tundra Double Cab TRD 4WD
2014 Escape 19
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #18
Trailer: Escape 21
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
I just got off the phone with code compliance and they sent me a link to the section of code addressing vehicle storage. Section 25-2-893 (B) (7):

"Up to two vehicles that are either antique or recreational vehicles may be stored on the premises, if the storage area is not a health hazard and is either in an enclosed building or screened from public view with a solid wood or masonry fence at least six feet high."

Those are the only requirements. I think I will just find a used fence panel on Craigslist and paint the American flag on it.
The fence has to be only 6ft tall? A 19ft Escape is 8 1/2 ft or so. Even when you're in compliance the top of the trailer will be visible. Wait until the neighbor finds that out. At least you're not putting a 6ft fence in front of a a 40ft fifth wheel where the whole top half of the trailer is taller than the fence.

On a side note, I once lived in a condo complex with all the overly onerous parking regulations about what you could park where, and written right into the rules was this exception exempting RVs from the parking regulations. All I can figure is the developer had a thing for RVs and built in the exception. Every time they didn't like my truck parked there, I threatened to trade it in for a Winnebago.
Bill and Ann-Marie

Think BIG from the start, its the same effort!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:03 PM   #19
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Now you know for certain, that is great. With tongue in cheek, I suggest you paint a hand with the finger pointing to the neighbour on the fence, with a tag line saying "I'm Next To Stupid".
Might make you feel a little better as long as you don't forget that "You can't fix stupid...".
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #20
Trailer: 2013 19' Escape (2017 5.0 TA on order)
Looking at your issue with a180 degree perspective. I'd let her complain to the authorities until they contacted you. I'd be real nice to them but throw out a comment about "selective enforcement" and see how they respond. If Austin is, as you say, well-populated with others in a similar situation, you'd have a pretty solid argument using the "reasonableness" standard to put your situation way down towards the bottom of the list (assuming there are other RV's featured more prominently in town). If that fails, just get a couple of sheets of plywood and lean them up against your trailer when you're not camping. They didn't say t had to be a pretty fence.

Rich & Mary
"Everything in moderation, including moderation."
- Oscar Wilde
Zardoz is online now   Reply With Quote