Framed vs frameless windows - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2023, 07:07 AM   #1

Trailer: Purchasing the 5.0
Question Framed vs frameless windows

Hi folks,

My husband and I have been planning our Escape 5.0 build and we are debating on the framed vs frameless windows. Functionality is most important, so for now our choice is framed windows except the rear window frameless with the split opening and a framed window in the bathroom.
Looking forward to hearing about pros and cons.
Thanks
Nancy
Toddna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 07:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 2022 E19
Nancy, I think a quick search of the forum will provide you with lots of information as this topic has been well debated!
It is my opinion that the Lippert windows used by Escape and a lot of other trailer manufacturers are not of robust quality and I understand that Escape may be looking at alternatives.
That said, I have the exact configuration that you are considering and am generally happy with it.
Whichever way you go I'm sure that you'll love your Escape!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 08:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
The Escape 23 is offered with double pane acrylic windows. I wonder if they will start to offer them on other models. I sure hope so. It's worth asking.
Old 11-30-2023, 08:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddna View Post
... My husband and I have been planning our Escape 5.0 build and we are debating on the framed vs frameless windows. Functionality is most important, so for now our choice is framed windows except the rear window frameless with the split opening and a framed window in the bathroom. ...
FWIW that's the configuration that's keeping me happy with my 5.0.

My list of pros:
  • I like not having a frameless awning window under my manual awning arm (and I love my manual awning).
  • IMO the frameless mechanism is perhaps a bit more troublesome over the long-haul (e.g. some have mentioned delamination of the mechanism from the glass)
  • I've been happy with framed sliders on many previous trailers, they've proven robust and functional for me.

My list of cons:
  • I only have the rear window to open in certain blowing rain situations.

It's a 'hot-button' topic, you'll doubtless get many folks rabidly advocating other choices, no worries!.

Congrats on your impending 5.0 order, It's a wonderful trailer with whatever windows!

Old 11-30-2023, 09:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, May 2014
Quote:
Hi folks,

My husband and I have been planning our Escape 5.0 build and we are debating on the framed vs frameless windows. Functionality is most important, so for now our choice is framed windows except the rear window frameless with the split opening and a framed window in the bathroom.
Thanks
Nancy
I'm curious about the frameless window option too. We have sliders and like them, and I have never seen the frameless windows up close. Are there images of the frameless windows anywhere on the forum? I would like to see what they look like full open... From the descriptions I have read, it seems like sliders offer more open space for air flow, but it would be nice to see the frameless in order to have an idea about that.
Old 11-30-2023, 10:17 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch Dobbs View Post
Are there images of the frameless windows anywhere on the forum? I would like to see what they look like full open... From the descriptions I have read, it seems like sliders offer more open space for air flow, but it would be nice to see the frameless in order to have an idea about that.
Here is a pic of one open after some delamination was fixed by a forum member.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2023, 10:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2023 E19
My trailer is configured with the standard sliding framed windows combined with the optional split frameless venting rear window....the same configuration that the OP is considering. I personally think this offers the best of both worlds. The sliders provide ample ventilation and do not interfere with the manual awning. The rear windows can be left open in the rain, with decent ventilation still provided in conjunction with the roof vent fan.

I found some of the slider sashes were difficult to operate when they were brand new. However, they do get easier to open/close over time. Strategic application of silicon dry lube helps. Also, some of the sliding window sashes have a very tall aspect ratio....meaning they can become crooked in the opening when operated. I don't find it overly annoying, but it is something to be aware of. Again, silicon dry lube helps with this.

If ETI decides to offer acrylic windows as an option across all trailer models, I would definitely give it serious consideration. IMHO, the weight savings alone would be worth it.
Selkirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Hi folks,

Thanks
Nancy
What you have in mind is what I would do as I would never have the power awning again and would want to be able to open the windows behind the bars when it was closed…as others have said.
I would definitely get the opening rear window and you can see a post I did on how to do a simple modification to open the window 60% more.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post384356
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7881.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 11:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
.... and you can see a post I did on how to do a simple modification to open the window 60% more.
Just FYI it's been reported somewhere on this forum that later (sometime after late 2021) model year flush mount windows do not lend to this nifty 'wider opening' mod. The manufacturer implemented some alteration to the track on the window that precludes the mod, IIRC.

Old 11-30-2023, 11:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post

I think a quick search of the forum will provide you with lots of information as this topic has been well debated!
Too bad there's not an AI program that could go all through the forum posts and compile all the threads about this topic. The result would be an enormous amount of information. No question would ever have to asked again.

Funny thing tho, those that love framed, me included, would still love them and the frameless crowd would still be convinced that they're the way to go.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 03:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Count me as another fan of the hybrid choice - framed side and frameless rear windows.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Hi folks,

Thanks
Nancy
Nancy, We had the same decision to make before we placed our order last month, but ultimately decided on the frameless windows all around. We also opted for the manual awning, so I know we'll have a conflict with the rear passenger side window when the awning is closed. However I like the idea of not worrying about having to close the windows when it rains. We haven't taken delivery yet, so who knows if we made the "right" decision.....I guess time will tell. I think we (and you) will love the new Escape either way. Congratulations on your pending purchase!
Jim
jjdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:07 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The Escape 23 is offered with double pane acrylic windows. I wonder if they will start to offer them on other models. I sure hope so. It's worth asking.
I would be concerned that acrylic windows are prone to scratching, and I wonder how they hold up to 10+ years of sunlight exposure.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:19 PM   #14

Trailer: ‘Tranquility Base’. 2023 5.0.
We went frameless on our new 5.0

2 main reasons; a) read reports that the framed windows have a drainage track that can get clogged up, needs cleaning, b) you can open the frameless in the rain, not sure you’d want to do that with framed.

Plus I think they just look nicer, but that’s just me :-)
Old 11-30-2023, 04:27 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
We had acrylic windows for 10 years on our cheap Forest River, and they held up better than the rest of the trailer. They were one of our favorite things about that trailer.
Old 11-30-2023, 04:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritCanuck View Post
We went frameless on our new 5.0

2 main reasons; a) read reports that the framed windows have a drainage track that can get clogged up, needs cleaning, b) you can open the frameless in the rain, not sure you’d want to do that with framed.

Plus I think they just look nicer, but that’s just me :-)
Well, different experiences for different folks. In 9 years I've never cleaned out a window track and never had a problem. I've never had to rush to close a window either if it starts to rain. The windows are screened and unless it's really blowing water isn't going to come inside, or at least, it never has for me.

When I first commented to wife about the windows of a passing RV that the frameless windows were the type ETI was moving to she gagged and said something not nice.

Like I said, positions on types of windows are pretty entrenched.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:55 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Our 5.0 has the framed windows and the split rear and framed bathroom window.

The windows are tinted so when we open the framed windows a little more light is let in. On the con side if the sun is beating down the awning windows can be opened with out letting in the sun.

I think the bathroom window is a good option and glade we have it, but.. the window is narrow so the half that opens is very narrow and can cock/tilt when opening and be a little finicky , after operating it the first time you learn how to open it without issue.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:06 AM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Toddna, like you we agonized over the decision on framed vs frameless. Wasted lots of time reading website posts abouts experience with either type. Our final decision point was that I didn't want post purchase problems with windows and the framed windows appeared the choice less likely to cause us problems. They have been trouble free in our 4 years of use.
Chama

Quote:
Hi folks,

Thanks
Nancy
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:51 AM   #19

Trailer: 2022 E19
I have an E19 with framed sliders and the frameless rear combo. I did swap out the little kitchen window with a frameless on my own as the little E19 slider kitchen window with the vertical bar really restricted the view out. That shouldn't be as much of a deal on a 5.0 with a larger kitchen window though. I'm considering swapping out the framed bath window to a frameless as well as that side has no awning for rain protection and I think the obscured glass frameless will have a bit more privacy when open (too close neighbors in many RV "parks"!)

I think the ventilation is better with the larger side sliders, and I have the manual awning which I prefer for adjustability.

Also consider that your DS dinette side emergency exit window is basically useless for ventilation without some "rigging / modifications".

That said, if I ordered a new trailer today, I would get all frameless just for "the look". as 80% of the time the air conditioner will be in use in Texas anyways.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:55 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have the Awning windows in my 5.0TA and love them. All previous trailers have had the sliders.

For me, the awning windows provide great ventilation, work good in the rain, seal well and look better. Not having a frame piece in the middle is nice too. As a renovation contractor I replace thousands of windows, many being sliders. I have never installed a slider where it was not needed as in basement windows in window wells. Customers all loved the easier operation and better weather seal. There are reasons that these windows, like many things we own and buy, have evolved to the awning style.

We all have our window preferences for different reasons, and both do the job. You will be able to enjoy your camping experience and make lots of great memories despite the window style in your trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote