General Questions About Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 21 on Feb 28, 2017 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
General Questions About Escape

Thinking about joining the RV community when I retire. I like the looks of the Escape. I know nothing much about trailers in general. I know from reading other posts in this forum that the shell thickness is about 1/8 inch. How is the shell insulated? If you order the extra insulation option what exactly are you getting above and beyond the standard build?

In other RV forums I've read of people having problems with their water storage tanks for whatever reason and it seems the tanks are just suspended under the trailer via some metal straps. How are the storage tanks installed in an Escape or any other fiberglass RV?

One option I will definitely order will be the solar panel and charger along with the 6V batteries. I would like to add more solar in the form of a portable panel that could be positioned somewhat away from the trailer to take advantage of whatever sun there is. Is there an option for an external jack that I could plug the portable panel into in order to add the portable power to the onboard panel output?

stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Been a while since I looked into it but I think the normal insulation is just the upper half of the trailers being lined with what amounts to 3/8" Reflectix (foil bubblewrap). The extra means the whole trailer is lined, don't think the floor is part of the deal though.

Yes the storage tanks are held up by straps, have yet to hear of someone having an issue with it. I've been reading RV.net for 9 years, have only heard it mentioned a couple times. If anything the tanks sag down some after a while, on my brothers Jayco they sag so much the fresh water tank is resting on one of the axles.

I've heard of someone having ETI add an outside port for a portable panel, don't recall the particulars.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
What Bob said. I think with the extra insulation package you also get thermal double-paned windows. That's the really big deal. The floor is not insulated. Some opt for sprayed on sticky-foam on the undercarriage but I think adding a nice carpet is smarter. Have never never heard of any troubles with the way the water storage tanks are secured. I have a portable solar unit I put together. Its controller and connecting linkage to the batteries are inside my tongue box. Works fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sol-1B.jpg (170.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg SolContrlr.jpg (154.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Have you ever checked out gas tanks on some motor vehicles? Same thing, held on by straps. However, the freshwater tank in my Scamp is inside (under passenger side dinette seat). Those have different issues because if the hose inside leaks just a tad and you don't notice it, overtime the floor rots.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I think I will add the extra insulation and thermal windows but skip the spray foam and just go with a nice rug as Myron suggested. I'll have to check with ETI on the external solar jack.

My concern with the water tanks was simply one of accessibility. I was concerned they were buried in the belly of the beast and might need to tear up the floor to get at if a problem arose.

We still have a long time, well, a year anyway before decisions have to be made so there's time for consideration. I appreciate the help you folks give on the forums. So much to learn.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
No worries. The black tank and grey water tanks are closer to the front of the trailer and secured about the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tank1.jpg (114.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 11-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
No worries. The black tank and grey water tanks are closer to the front of the trailer and secured about the same.
Cool! Thanks for the photo Myron.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Actually, as Myron's photo shows, the Escape tanks are much better supported than the typical two strap method. The flange provides even support for the full width of the tank.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Actually, as Myron's photo shows, the Escape tanks are much better supported than the typical two strap method. The flange provides even support for the full width of the tank.

Ron
Depends on the trailer model I guess. Here's one from the 5.0TA before the foam was installed, basic 2 straps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.JPG (121.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 11-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
For an external solar panel Escape will install whatever socket/jack that you provide. They will not wire it however. Some models, the 19 and 17 have their batteries outside the camper shell so connecting an external solar panel is a bit easier.

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote