GMC Canyon Diesel? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Las vegas, Nevada
Trailer: NA
Posts: 83
GMC Canyon Diesel?

Anyone towing with a GMC Canyon Diesel?

If so... which Escape are you towing and how is it going?
__________________

Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
sturski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jamestown, Colorado
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Posts: 232
Works well with my 2015 Escape 19. 27 mpg w/o the trailer, 16 or so with it. No issues towing at altitude.

My 2009 Tacoma struggled a bit towing the 19 at altitude, my 2017 diesel Canyon can maintain the speed limit without trying very hard. I live at 8600', every time we take the trailer out, it requires crossing a pass at 11-12,000'.
__________________

sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: White Bird, Idaho
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Posts: 154
I tow our 2018 19' with its twin, a 2017 Chevy Colorado. It tows the 19 beautifully, and the length of the truck relative to the length of the trailer seems to be ideal in terms of backing efficiency and lack of any sway, even with strong cross winds. I do have ETI's weight distributing hitch, but no additional sway control. In addition to remarkable fuel efficiency (30+ mpg not towing, 16 - 20 towing), I think the best thing about these trucks is the exhaust brake, which works extremely well if you tow over mountain passes and up and down steep grades. I live in central Idaho, and there isn't much flat country where I go. I think this truck can pull anything Escape makes, and there are several on this forum who tow a 21 and 5.0 TA with one. With the 5.0 TA, you would have to watch your payload, but other than that I think it would work great. I have a Leer canopy on mine, and the combination of the 19' trailer with storage in the bed of the pickup is the ideal combination for us. I haven't weighed the trailer but am estimating it's around 4,200 lbs fully loaded for travel.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Las vegas, Nevada
Trailer: NA
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
Works well with my 2015 Escape 19. 27 mpg w/o the trailer, 16 or so with it. No issues towing at altitude.

My 2009 Tacoma struggled a bit towing the 19 at altitude, my 2017 diesel Canyon can maintain the speed limit without trying very hard. I live at 8600', every time we take the trailer out, it requires crossing a pass at 11-12,000'.
Thank you thank you. Is this with a 2WD or 4WD. Do the diesels come in 2WD?
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Las vegas, Nevada
Trailer: NA
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I tow our 2018 19' with its twin, a 2017 Chevy Colorado. It tows the 19 beautifully, and the length of the truck relative to the length of the trailer seems to be ideal in terms of backing efficiency and lack of any sway, even with strong cross winds. I do have ETI's weight distributing hitch, but no additional sway control. In addition to remarkable fuel efficiency (30+ mpg not towing, 16 - 20 towing), I think the best thing about these trucks is the exhaust brake, which works extremely well if you tow over mountain passes and up and down steep grades. I live in central Idaho, and there isn't much flat country where I go. I think this truck can pull anything Escape makes, and there are several on this forum who tow a 21 and 5.0 TA with one. With the 5.0 TA, you would have to watch your payload, but other than that I think it would work great. I have a Leer canopy on mine, and the combination of the 19' trailer with storage in the bed of the pickup is the ideal combination for us. I haven't weighed the trailer but am estimating it's around 4,200 lbs fully loaded for travel.
Very helpful, thank you. Is this with a 2WD or 4WD. Do the diesels come in 2WD? We're looking to order a 21' Escape.
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 6,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gori View Post
Very helpful, thank you. Is this with a 2WD or 4WD. Do the diesels come in 2WD? We're looking to order a 21' Escape.
Hi: Gori... Sorry I'm not towing with a GMC Canyon diesel. I would have been but I stumbled on a 2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel w/ 35,000 miles on the clock. It's a 4X4 crew cab 5'7" shortbox 3 Ltr. V6 w/ tow pkg. Pulls like a trouper and rides like a Cowboy Caddy. Fuel is more expensive as are oil changes but I get up to 25mpg's Imperial while towing around S.W. Ont. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040904.jpg (403.5 KB, 25 views)
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
Member
 
Bobnjudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: 78748, Texas
Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
Posts: 95
recent diesel purchase

2019 Canyon SLT, short bed, 2WD, diesel towing 2017 5.0TA with Andersen Ultimate hitch.
The previous 2015, 6 speed, gas, SLT had the HP but couldn't go against even a slight headwind or grade without dropping down 2 or 3 gears at highway speed (60-70). This diesel has none of that problem because of the far better torque converter in the same trans and +100 ft# torque.
I ordered it from the factory bc after searching on various sites for 9 months and going out 500 miles I couldn't find anything but 4WD (no snow or off roading use here) or Denalis which have a silly price.
On order, I was given factory invoice minus whatever incentives GM was offering at time of delivery. ~ 2 months later I picked it up for $3000 off invoice= $38400 + TTL. Bose, Nav, tow pckg, etc. The initial + cost of a diesel SLT vs gas I expect will be fully offset at it's resale. It has an integrated electric brake controller and exhaust brake. Both work wonderfully.
On regular towing the TA with the gas I could get up to 16 mpg; with the diesel I get 21+ and no downshifting all the time. The price/gal difference mid grade gas (towing) vs diesel is fully offset by the fuel economy.
GVWR is 6000# and 1600# payload so there's room for on board people and parcels.
Happy camping
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Las vegas, Nevada
Trailer: NA
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Gori... Sorry I'm not towing with a GMC Canyon diesel. I would have been but I stumbled on a 2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel w/ 35,000 miles on the clock. It's a 4X4 crew cab 5'7" shortbox 3 Ltr. V6 w/ tow pkg. Pulls like a trouper and rides like a Cowboy Caddy. Fuel is more expensive as are oil changes but I get up to 25mpg's Imperial while towing around S.W. Ont. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Were you considering the 4WD then, not the 2WD? Nice looking rig you scored btw.
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Las vegas, Nevada
Trailer: NA
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnjudy View Post
2019 Canyon SLT, short bed, 2WD, diesel towing 2017 5.0TA with Andersen Ultimate hitch.
The previous 2015, 6 speed, gas, SLT had the HP but couldn't go against even a slight headwind or grade without dropping down 2 or 3 gears at highway speed (60-70). This diesel has none of that problem because of the far better torque converter in the same trans and +100 ft# torque.
I ordered it from the factory bc after searching on various sites for 9 months and going out 500 miles I couldn't find anything but 4WD (no snow or off roading use here) or Denalis which have a silly price.
On order, I was given factory invoice minus whatever incentives GM was offering at time of delivery. ~ 2 months later I picked it up for $3000 off invoice= $38400 + TTL. Bose, Nav, tow pckg, etc. The initial + cost of a diesel SLT vs gas I expect will be fully offset at it's resale. It has an integrated electric brake controller and exhaust brake. Both work wonderfully.
On regular towing the TA with the gas I gould get up to 16 mpg; with the diesel I get 21+ and no downshifting all the time. The price/gal difference mid grade gas (towing) vs diesel is fully offset by the fuel economy.
GVWR is 6000# and 1600# payload so there's room for on board people and parcels.
Happy camping
Nice to know they are out there. I was thinking about a 2018, used. Still not sure about 2WD vs 4WD. I don't do snow, but perhaps BLM parking.
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 6,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gori View Post
Were you considering the 4WD then, not the 2WD? Nice looking rig you scored btw.
Hi: Gori... Thanks...Yes!!! A 4X4 is much easier to find on a lot. My previous tug was an end of year 2010 Nissan Fronty 4X4 4Ltr. V6 gas crew cab. When I traded it had 110,000 miles on it and I got over $10,000 for it. A GMC Canyon would have cost me a lot more than the Ram. The diff. in mileage is about 1 mpg between 2 wh. and 4X4. This spring I had to use 4 low to pull out of our campsite. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190525_100045.jpg (328.3 KB, 24 views)
__________________

__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.