It is cold...... - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Another challenge in the southern states is lack of experience. There is a skill and procedure for clearing roads. If you have to plow 4 - 5 days a week, you get pretty good at it. When you have to plow 2 - 3 times per winter, you end up with a learning curve! Also, I've found that in the south, most days go above freezing. That allows the snow and ice to melt and flow across the roads. When that refreezes at night, we end up with black ice. Except for using studded snow tires, black ice is always a challenge.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:16 AM   #42

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
Jack, I like where your head is at with Retire as earlier as possible. I have 14 months left at the Fire Department and I'm grabbing my pension and running. I'll be 55 and ready to experience the next adventure while I'm healthy. Some people say it's too young, but I disagree. Have Fun while it's still fun !!
Mark

Weldingmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #43

Trailer: None
Since my wife and I retired ,we finally have the time to travel South in the winter . We spend about 2 weeks in the South and that's long enough for us . We love living in the Midwest where there are 4 distinct seasons . We have -8 deg F this morning with bright sunshine and I have spent the last hour outdoors shoveling snow and enjoying every minute of it!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #44

[QUOTE=kstock11; Except for using studded snow tires, black ice is always a challenge.[/QUOTE]

Funny you should say that. Up to last weekend I thought that too. I gave my niece 4 studded snow tires for winter driving in the BC interior. I've used 4 studded snow tires previously and considered myself invincible with them. Just drive on by all those folks spinning their wheels.

Well my niece headed for the Interior last weekend with a big snow dump starting. Made it over the worst moutain pass, hit black ice and spun off onto the median. But I have to say, those studs do bite into the ice. When the car went sideways the bead was partly pulled off the rim. Oh well, she's a new driver, part of the learning curve. But I still swear by studded snow tires.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Any Jamie Davis cameras around?
Old 01-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #46

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
While I didn't get to see this last winter, Lake Ontario, with the combination of cold temperatures (4F) and high winds has created 10' high ice mounds on the shore. Might not be a good day to take out the kayak!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JON_1153.jpg (158.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Funny you should say that. Up to last weekend I thought that too. I gave my niece 4 studded snow tires for winter driving in the BC interior. I've used 4 studded snow tires previously and considered myself invincible with them. Just drive on by all those folks spinning their wheels.

Well my niece headed for the Interior last weekend with a big snow dump starting. Made it over the worst moutain pass, hit black ice and spun off onto the median. But I have to say, those studs do bite into the ice. When the car went sideways the bead was partly pulled off the rim. Oh well, she's a new driver, part of the learning curve. But I still swear by studded snow tires.

Ron
You might be interested in this report

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/research/rep...orts/551.1.pdf
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #48

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Spent a couple hours snowshoeing on Big lake after work yesterday, watched the sun set over the lake and wished I had brought my camera. Was -28 C without the windchill. Was a bit chilly after the sun went down but was a beautiful evening.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #49
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While I didn't get to see this last winter, Lake Ontario, with the combination of cold temperatures (4F) and high winds has created 10' high ice mounds on the shore. Might not be a good day to take out the kayak!
Could have been worse Jon,
Old 01-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
You might be interested in this report

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/research/rep...orts/551.1.pdf
Interesting. As a former ice racer who raced on studded tires, non-studded and tractionized tires I find them really good. But part of that is likely my experience as my inexperienced niece so aptly pointed out

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote