Larger propane tanks - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2014, 11:30 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
One of the members on FiberglassRV has a 13' Scamp and boondocks most of the time. He and the wife are currently in New Mexico, running the furnace about 24 hours a day and he has said on his blog, he just ran out of propane. Seems pretty efficient to me. Three weeks running almost non-stop on the furnace and cooking inside on one full 20# tank. For what it's worth...
I'm not questioning the honesty of this member, but the blog post is not accurate, unless the furnace is tiny compared to the one in any Escape. With less than 500,000 BTU of energy in a 20-pound tank, hundreds of hours of operation of a 12,000 BTU furnace is clearly not physically possible. Cooking for an hour a day and the furnace being turned on all the time but running for only a couple of hours a day... sure.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:46 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
What can I say? It's not me, it's someone else. 13' Scamp... don't have a clue how warm they keep the trailer and under what outside temps. I don't know anyone that "cooks" running the stove top for an hour a day inside a 13' trailer either...

Whatever they're doing... it's working for them.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Keeping the furnace on 24 hrs a day, most definitely does not mean it runs all the time, not unless you are operating a sweat lodge. With the heat down at a moderate level, and without bothering to do the math to try to prove my point, I see no reason that 3 weeks would not be doable.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I actually went smaller with my propane tanks. I left the factory with twin 10lb. bottles. For me, the smaller size is easy to handle, reduces weight, and gives me extra storage space on my 5.0. I seldom use propane to cook or heat with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV Propane compartment 001.JPG (131.3 KB, 8 views)
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
What can I say? It's not me, it's someone else.
You could provide a link, so we know what they actually said...

Quote:
I don't know anyone that "cooks" running the stove top for an hour a day inside a 13' trailer either...
Donna, I think you missed my point. Even an hour a day of cooking would be a hundred times less propane than the furnace running for 24 hours. The point is that cooking and heating are very different demands.

Just as with electrical energy consumption, you need to discuss actual use (in amount of propane or burning time of appliances) to mean anything, just as you talk about amp-hours of battery charge use. I ran my motorhome on no gasoline at all last month; does it seem relevant that the engine was started for only one minute and that it never drove anywhere?

Quote:
Whatever they're doing... it's working for them.
That's the problem: we have no idea what they're doing, except that they're not running a furnace about 24 hours a day. If it is warm enough during the day that the thermostat wouldn't turn the furnace on, it really doesn't matter if the switch is on or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Keeping the furnace on 24 hrs a day, most definitely does not mean it runs all the time, not unless you are operating a sweat lodge. With the heat down at a moderate level, and without bothering to do the math to try to prove my point, I see no reason that 3 weeks would not be doable.
Sure, but the quote was "running the furnace about 24 hours a day". If that doesn't mean operating hours, then it is pointless. I can run my furnace all of July on zero fuel, but I that just meant the switch is on and it never fires that's pretty useless information about fuel consumption.

Doing the math very roughly, the furnace was burning (other than perhaps a pilot) no more than about an hour a day. Three weeks would be doable, but three days might not be and three months is entirely reasonable... since we don't know how it is being used.

A lot of people report that they go a very long time on a tank of propane, because they use it only (or almost only) for cooking and running the refrigerator. That's helpful experience to share, but no one should be led to believe that they can run a furnace any meaningful amount for so little propane.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
While I can't provide exact usage figures, this example might be useful...

Before I purchased my electric ceramic disk heater I ran my 17B with dual pane windows & extra insulation on propane only. Most of my cooking was done on an outdoor camp stove. The furnace was set at 65°F and only run when stopped. I left Chilliwack on April 25, drove the coast of Washington & Oregon, down 395 to the Bodie Ghost Town & Mono Lake, Death Valley, Zion, Page, AZ, Monument Valley, and arrived at the Grand Canyon on May 18th where I discovered both tanks were empty.

While I didn't keep track of the exact temperatures during the trip, it was cool to cold with the furnace running most nights. You can read more about the conditions at my journal of the trip.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Just did a few calculations to try to support my claim of using 1 tank per week during a 3 week span last summer. Had to make a few assumptions, but here are my results:

Some of the devices (like the furnace) were used for only 1 or 2 nights and others were used only once every couple of days. I tried to take that into account in my estimates of daily usage. Looks like with our estimated usage, about 1 tank per week was about right.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #28

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Am I reading it right where you used the fire bowl for 15 minute a day? I used mine more like an hour or so.
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Am I reading it right where you used the fire bowl for 15 minute a day? I used mine more like an hour or so.
We used it about every 3 days for about an hour, maybe a little more frequently. I have assumed that the full 58000 BTU was utilized. If we had the gas throttled back (and we likely did), then the consumption would have been a little less, which would have been more consistent with a slightly longer/more frequent usage.

Thinking about it, some of the other devices were also used at less than maximum capacities at times (stove and BBQ), and so the actual durations of use for those devices may have been slightly greater than those shown in the above spreadsheet.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I pulled up at WalMart about to exchange my empty 20 pounder for a full one when I read the fine print at their exchange cage. The exchange cost is $18.

But, then I saw their propane tanks are listed as 15 pounders. What is up with that? I always thought the next smallest standard propane tank is the kind you attach a lantern to.