old style vs new style Escape discussion - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
old style vs new style Escape discussion

Since this is the old body style what can you tell me is difference between this and the new? I've tried researching and really cant find anything.

Thanks,
Steve

stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Since this is the old body style what can you tell me is difference between this and the new? I've tried researching and really cant find anything.
There are three main differences between the original (or "first generation" or "classic") body style and the current (or "second generation", or "2017+") style:
  1. 1st generation sides slope slightly (inward toward the top and bottom), but 2nd generation sides are vertical
  2. 1st generation door is moulded fiberglass shaped to match the trailer side, but 2nd generation door is a common flat RV door with integrated screen door (and wider)
  3. 1st generation awning has arms reaching down the side of the trailer; 2nd generation awning arms fold horizontally into the awning housing
The vertical lower sides lead to the 2nd generation having its tires further apart (wider track) than the first generation, and moderately increased weight.

There were also some changes in smaller details of standard and optional equipment.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:

Thanks,
Steve
Not enough to matter in my opinion. This is a beautiful trailer...and the last available year of the classic mold. Plus you get the bulletproof Carefree Fiesta awning.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:

Thanks,
Steve
The classic is generally a more rounded trailer at the corners and elsewhere. Also the door. Many of us prefer the Classic for that and other reasons. The manufacturers have some advantages with the newer style in making the trailer easier for them to build and in being able to do certain things. It is not necessarily anything that you would need or want but it is a little different. The new ones do have a very different awning which I think many like but some do not.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not enough to matter in my opinion. This is a beautiful trailer...and the last available year of the classic mold. Plus you get the bulletproof Carefree Fiesta awning.
Yes the awning is the greatest ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
old style vs new style Escape discussion

moved from 4 sale thread
Old 04-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There are three main differences between the original (or "first generation" or "classic") body style and the current (or "second generation", or "2017+") style:
  1. 1st generation sides slope slightly (inward toward the top and bottom), but 2nd generation sides are vertical
  2. 1st generation door is moulded fiberglass shaped to match the trailer side, but 2nd generation door is a common flat RV door with integrated screen door (and wider)
  3. 1st generation awning has arms reaching down the side of the trailer; 2nd generation awning arms fold horizontally into the awning housing
The vertical lower sides lead to the 2nd generation having its tires further apart (wider track) than the first generation, and moderately increased weight.

There were also some changes in smaller details of standard and optional equipment.
I think its worth emphasizing that the wider entry door in the new generation allows for a larger refrigerator than possible in the former models.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I think its worth emphasizing that the wider entry door in the new generation allows for a larger refrigerator than possible in the former models.
Not necessarily larger, but a better type for hot weather operation.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Having owned both a Classic 17 and now new version 21, the new door seals much more tightly. While I did like the look of the Classic door, I much prefer the functionality of the new door and screen door. As for the new awning, I liked to old one and I like the new one - each has some advantages over the other. We use the new one much more often than we used the old one. We both greatly prefer the new windows for several reasons.

Everyone has their own preferences, so there is no "right" answer for everyone.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
For me my old style mold is much more attractive to the eye. I like curves that contradict (ever so slightly) the newer, boxy toaster look. But, that old style retractable screen door I got is sloppy, unfriendly, your basic terrible, because it always wants to crumple off its crummy track and makes you go nuts. The new style screen door looks to me like it's as clean and simple to open and close as your grandma's screened porch door. I hear the new door is also now wide enough for you to get a larger refrigerator choice in there should your Dometic make you unhappy. My old 4.3 used to make me unhappy but that feeling has gone away. No clue why.

On rare occasions when I open up the old style awning, because it is all manual all the time, I sometimes forget the correct sequence of steps you must take to not jam it up. Have come to accept this as the price you pay for being a senior.

That's all I got. Oh, I'm also just fine with the old style slider windows.