old style vs new style Escape discussion - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: alpharetta, Georgia
Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Posts: 377
old style vs new style Escape discussion

Since this is the old body style what can you tell me is difference between this and the new? I've tried researching and really cant find anything.

Thanks,
Steve
__________________

stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Since this is the old body style what can you tell me is difference between this and the new? I've tried researching and really cant find anything.
There are three main differences between the original (or "first generation" or "classic") body style and the current (or "second generation", or "2017+") style:
  1. 1st generation sides slope slightly (inward toward the top and bottom), but 2nd generation sides are vertical
  2. 1st generation door is moulded fiberglass shaped to match the trailer side, but 2nd generation door is a common flat RV door with integrated screen door (and wider)
  3. 1st generation awning has arms reaching down the side of the trailer; 2nd generation awning arms fold horizontally into the awning housing
The vertical lower sides lead to the 2nd generation having its tires further apart (wider track) than the first generation, and moderately increased weight.

There were also some changes in smaller details of standard and optional equipment.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Since this is the old body style what can you tell me is difference between this and the new? I've tried researching and really cant find anything.

Thanks,
Steve
Not enough to matter in my opinion. This is a beautiful trailer...and the last available year of the classic mold. Plus you get the bulletproof Carefree Fiesta awning.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:14 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Since this is the old body style what can you tell me is difference between this and the new? I've tried researching and really cant find anything.

Thanks,
Steve
The classic is generally a more rounded trailer at the corners and elsewhere. Also the door. Many of us prefer the Classic for that and other reasons. The manufacturers have some advantages with the newer style in making the trailer easier for them to build and in being able to do certain things. It is not necessarily anything that you would need or want but it is a little different. The new ones do have a very different awning which I think many like but some do not.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not enough to matter in my opinion. This is a beautiful trailer...and the last available year of the classic mold. Plus you get the bulletproof Carefree Fiesta awning.
Yes the awning is the greatest ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,676
old style vs new style Escape discussion

moved from 4 sale thread
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Notasulga, Alabama
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Posts: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There are three main differences between the original (or "first generation" or "classic") body style and the current (or "second generation", or "2017+") style:
  1. 1st generation sides slope slightly (inward toward the top and bottom), but 2nd generation sides are vertical
  2. 1st generation door is moulded fiberglass shaped to match the trailer side, but 2nd generation door is a common flat RV door with integrated screen door (and wider)
  3. 1st generation awning has arms reaching down the side of the trailer; 2nd generation awning arms fold horizontally into the awning housing
The vertical lower sides lead to the 2nd generation having its tires further apart (wider track) than the first generation, and moderately increased weight.

There were also some changes in smaller details of standard and optional equipment.
I think its worth emphasizing that the wider entry door in the new generation allows for a larger refrigerator than possible in the former models.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I think its worth emphasizing that the wider entry door in the new generation allows for a larger refrigerator than possible in the former models.
Not necessarily larger, but a better type for hot weather operation.
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 4,207
Having owned both a Classic 17 and now new version 21, the new door seals much more tightly. While I did like the look of the Classic door, I much prefer the functionality of the new door and screen door. As for the new awning, I liked to old one and I like the new one - each has some advantages over the other. We use the new one much more often than we used the old one. We both greatly prefer the new windows for several reasons.

Everyone has their own preferences, so there is no "right" answer for everyone.
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 2,906
For me my old style mold is much more attractive to the eye. I like curves that contradict (ever so slightly) the newer, boxy toaster look. But, that old style retractable screen door I got is sloppy, unfriendly, your basic terrible, because it always wants to crumple off its crummy track and makes you go nuts. The new style screen door looks to me like it's as clean and simple to open and close as your grandma's screened porch door. I hear the new door is also now wide enough for you to get a larger refrigerator choice in there should your Dometic make you unhappy. My old 4.3 used to make me unhappy but that feeling has gone away. No clue why.

On rare occasions when I open up the old style awning, because it is all manual all the time, I sometimes forget the correct sequence of steps you must take to not jam it up. Have come to accept this as the price you pay for being a senior.

That's all I got. Oh, I'm also just fine with the old style slider windows.
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: los angeles, California
Trailer: 2017-21' Escape, Casita 17' (sold)
Posts: 1,247
for us - the new style screen door, plus having the new style new fridge that supposedly works better in hot weather, plus the new style awning windows .... all equal awesome.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Mike Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Rosa County, Florida
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 2,158
Here is a side-by-side view of the new and old style Escape 21, shown from the rear. You can get an idea of the subtle changes in body shape and other features from this photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170726_escape_21s.jpg (331.5 KB, 127 views)
__________________
Mike Lewis
Photos and travelogues here: mikelewisimages.com
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
sclifrickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Posts: 1,508
One other difference between old and new is the insulation used in the “extra insulation” package. The new trailers use a closed cell foam with something like R5, I believe, whereas the older trailers used Reflectix with around R1 or somesuch. Not sure but some of the late model 1G trailers also might have gotten the foam. Please correct me if I’m off on any of this.
__________________
💩-p+☕️+n
sclifrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Mike Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Rosa County, Florida
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 2,158
The old-style Reflectix insulation that I have doesn't seem very effective to me; my furnace seems to run a lot. So the newer insulation is an improvement.

The new-style windows pivot out from the top instead of slide sideways. The rear window on the Escape 21 is fixed on my 2014 model, but it opens on the new-style trailers, which is another good thing imho.
__________________
Mike Lewis
Photos and travelogues here: mikelewisimages.com
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,220
For the first year that the new generation was out, I was still preferring the look of the first generation trailers, and now after owning my 2G trailer for over a year, I am liking it better as it seems/feels more modern/updated to me. Really all this shows is you love the one you have the most. Look wise I think it is a toss up between the two models, each having their good points.

Any model, whether first or second generation, will do a great job while you go out and make some wonderful memories.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
For me my old style mold is much more attractive to the eye. I like curves that contradict (ever so slightly) the newer, boxy toaster look. But, that old style retractable screen door I got is sloppy, unfriendly, your basic terrible, because it always wants to crumple off its crummy track and makes you go nuts. The new style screen door looks to me like it's as clean and simple to open and close as your grandma's screened porch door. I hear the new door is also now wide enough for you to get a larger refrigerator choice in there should your Dometic make you unhappy. My old 4.3 used to make me unhappy but that feeling has gone away. No clue why.

On rare occasions when I open up the old style awning, because it is all manual all the time, I sometimes forget the correct sequence of steps you must take to not jam it up. Have come to accept this as the price you pay for being a senior.

That's all I got. Oh, I'm also just fine with the old style slider windows.
I am with you Myron the the body styles . Really don't have a lot of trouble with sliding screen door . A little wipe once in awhile to keep track clean and that's all it takes for us. Have had the newer door and screen twice before and prefer the Classic . No complaints with our refrigerator either 4.3 . And if needed have found lots of choices out there now for replacements . The sliding windows we love . As for Windows opening in the 19 , at the bed , no, no . The rear of all RV's gets the dirtiest and would never open those in the bed area . The awning is the easiest , most reliable on the Classic. It can be tilted way down for water run off and stays up most of the time when we are camping . Very rare to put the awning away unless extreme winds , etc. have a screen room and you can strap the awning down . Not so with the troublesome electric model . Don't find the insulation , we did get the extra insulation a problem . Our heater works fine to keep us warm and if at a campground to save gas use a electric . We do have the foam underneath the trailer which I think makes a difference . Out of all the newer models the 5 th wheel design looks the best . Otherwise the Classic design is the most pleasing and makes it stand out from the rest. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County CA, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Here is a side-by-side view of the new and old style Escape 21, shown from the rear. You can get an idea of the subtle changes in body shape and other features from this photo.
Like the upper rear tail lights better on Gen2. In this photo you can see the Gen2 trailer still has the slider windows which I don't believe one can order anymore.
Never had a desire for the rear window to open and the split-screen effect of the frameless isn't as good as the old "picture window" IMO.
__________________
"We gotta get as far away as we can!"
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County CA, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
For the first year that the new generation was out, I was still preferring the look of the first generation trailers, and now after owning my 2G trailer for over a year, I am liking it better as it seems/feels more modern/updated to me. Really all this shows is you love the one you have the most. Look wise I think it is a toss up between the two models, each having their good points.

Any model, whether first or second generation, will do a great job while you go out and make some wonderful memories.
To me the Gen2 5.0TA looks the least different as it doesn't have the squared looking front the other trailers have.

Spending some time last summer in a Gen2 21 (with owners who had a Gen1 too) the interiors are almost identical.
__________________
"We gotta get as far away as we can!"
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 4,335
I’ve never seen an unattractive Escape. And it seems “beauty is in the eye of the titleholder.”
Iowa Dave
__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:18 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
To me the Gen2 5.0TA looks the least different as it doesn't have the squared looking front the other trailers have.

Spending some time last summer in a Gen2 21 (with owners who had a Gen1 too) the interiors are almost identical.
I was of the belief in talking to Reace that the front and back never changed other than to mould into the new shaped sides. Not positive, but a side by side viewing would tell. Maybe at the rally I will confirm this.

I do know the mould builder had quite the challenge fitting the loft seamlessly into the new shaped sides, but in the end he really did a great job.
__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×