Poutine . . . again! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #11

Trailer: None
Can you get poutine made with Canadian bacon ? . When I was a kid we only had Canadian bacon on special occasions and it is one of my fondest childhood memories.

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I think you can only get Canadian bacon in the US.

From Wiki:
"Canadian bacon" is American usage for a form of roughly cylindrical fully cooked back bacon, usually smoked, trimmed into medallions, and thickly sliced.[3] The term "Canadian bacon" is not actually used in Canada, where the product is generally known simply as "back bacon", while "bacon" alone refers to the same streaky pork belly bacon as in the United States.[3] "Canadian" bacon is made only from the lean eye of the loin and is ready to eat; this preparation is closer to ham than standard bacon.[3]

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
When I worked in the packing house we turned out some fantastic Canadian bacon. I made friends with " Harley the Smoker" and he'd slide me a hot out of the smoker 10 lb loin. We'd cut it up and open a couple boxes of Ritz crackers and eat it on the spot off of a paper towel. Wowser, very good. Better than temple meat with BBQ sauce or pork pancreatic glands with real horseradish. An army can't march on an empty stomach was our mantra.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think you can only get Canadian bacon in the US.

From Wiki:
"Canadian bacon" is American usage for a form of roughly cylindrical fully cooked back bacon, usually smoked, trimmed into medallions, and thickly sliced.[3] The term "Canadian bacon" is not actually used in Canada, where the product is generally known simply as "back bacon", while "bacon" alone refers to the same streaky pork belly bacon as in the United States.[3] "Canadian" bacon is made only from the lean eye of the loin and is ready to eat; this preparation is closer to ham than standard bacon.[3]
Next your going to try and tell me that Justin Bieber is not Canadian !
Old 03-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #15

You have not had bacon until you've had jowl bacon, makes sow belly hide in the corner in shame. 6 years on the kill, 4,000 a night running 642 an hour. 5 % credit for packers, 97 man gang. Sunshine bonus, 32 hour guarantee, Baglo, if you'll judge the tin box oven cookin contest at Osoyoos I'll bring you a headin' knife made for a man with a steel wrist.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-02-2016, 09:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
You have not had bacon until you've had jowl bacon, makes sow belly hide in the corner in shame. 6 years on the kill, 4,000 a night running 642 an hour. 5 % credit for packers, 97 man gang. Sunshine bonus, 32 hour guarantee, Baglo, if you'll judge the tin box oven cookin contest at Osoyoos I'll bring you a headin' knife made for a man with a steel wrist.
Iowa Dave
We used the jowl meat when we make head cheese .If you want to try a real treat try walleye cheeks .We fry up a batch when we go fishing in Canada. Takes a lot of walleyes cheeks to make a dinner so we have them as an appetizer.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #17

Down in our country we slice out the cheek meat on catfish if you get a good one. When my son and I hunted bear near Horne Payne, Ontario in 2010, the guys in the next cabin had us over for a fish fry. They had a whole frying pan of walleye cheeks. Might have been slightly over the limit, did not ask. Tasty. Fried spuds and onions, better than pouting to me.
Dave
Old 03-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Down in our country we slice out the cheek meat on catfish if you get a good one. When my son and I hunted bear near Horne Payne, Ontario in 2010, the guys in the next cabin had us over for a fish fry. They had a whole frying pan of walleye cheeks. Might have been slightly over the limit, did not ask. Tasty. Fried spuds and onions, better than pouting to me.
Dave
I hope the potatoes and onions were fried in bacon fat . Fish , bacon , eggs and fried potatoes with onions is one of my favorite breakfasts whether deer hunting or fishing
Old 03-02-2016, 10:53 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Next your going to try and tell me that Justin Bieber is not Canadian !
No, they just don't call him "Canadian",
but I can't repeat what he is called, here!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:10 AM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Just give me some Spam and scrapple, the rest of this sounds too gourmet for my tastes......