Poutine . . . again! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: none, Washington, D.C.
Trailer: None
Posts: 1,071
Can you get poutine made with Canadian bacon ? . When I was a kid we only had Canadian bacon on special occasions and it is one of my fondest childhood memories.
__________________

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,729
I think you can only get Canadian bacon in the US.

From Wiki:
"Canadian bacon" is American usage for a form of roughly cylindrical fully cooked back bacon, usually smoked, trimmed into medallions, and thickly sliced.[3] The term "Canadian bacon" is not actually used in Canada, where the product is generally known simply as "back bacon", while "bacon" alone refers to the same streaky pork belly bacon as in the United States.[3] "Canadian" bacon is made only from the lean eye of the loin and is ready to eat; this preparation is closer to ham than standard bacon.[3]
__________________

__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Eastern Iowa, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Posts: 2,382
When I worked in the packing house we turned out some fantastic Canadian bacon. I made friends with " Harley the Smoker" and he'd slide me a hot out of the smoker 10 lb loin. We'd cut it up and open a couple boxes of Ritz crackers and eat it on the spot off of a paper towel. Wowser, very good. Better than temple meat with BBQ sauce or pork pancreatic glands with real horseradish. An army can't march on an empty stomach was our mantra.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: none, Washington, D.C.
Trailer: None
Posts: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think you can only get Canadian bacon in the US.

From Wiki:
"Canadian bacon" is American usage for a form of roughly cylindrical fully cooked back bacon, usually smoked, trimmed into medallions, and thickly sliced.[3] The term "Canadian bacon" is not actually used in Canada, where the product is generally known simply as "back bacon", while "bacon" alone refers to the same streaky pork belly bacon as in the United States.[3] "Canadian" bacon is made only from the lean eye of the loin and is ready to eat; this preparation is closer to ham than standard bacon.[3]
Next your going to try and tell me that Justin Bieber is not Canadian !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Eastern Iowa, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Posts: 2,382
You have not had bacon until you've had jowl bacon, makes sow belly hide in the corner in shame. 6 years on the kill, 4,000 a night running 642 an hour. 5 % credit for packers, 97 man gang. Sunshine bonus, 32 hour guarantee, Baglo, if you'll judge the tin box oven cookin contest at Osoyoos I'll bring you a headin' knife made for a man with a steel wrist.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:16 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: none, Washington, D.C.
Trailer: None
Posts: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
You have not had bacon until you've had jowl bacon, makes sow belly hide in the corner in shame. 6 years on the kill, 4,000 a night running 642 an hour. 5 % credit for packers, 97 man gang. Sunshine bonus, 32 hour guarantee, Baglo, if you'll judge the tin box oven cookin contest at Osoyoos I'll bring you a headin' knife made for a man with a steel wrist.
Iowa Dave
We used the jowl meat when we make head cheese .If you want to try a real treat try walleye cheeks .We fry up a batch when we go fishing in Canada. Takes a lot of walleyes cheeks to make a dinner so we have them as an appetizer.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Eastern Iowa, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Posts: 2,382
Down in our country we slice out the cheek meat on catfish if you get a good one. When my son and I hunted bear near Horne Payne, Ontario in 2010, the guys in the next cabin had us over for a fish fry. They had a whole frying pan of walleye cheeks. Might have been slightly over the limit, did not ask. Tasty. Fried spuds and onions, better than pouting to me.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: none, Washington, D.C.
Trailer: None
Posts: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Down in our country we slice out the cheek meat on catfish if you get a good one. When my son and I hunted bear near Horne Payne, Ontario in 2010, the guys in the next cabin had us over for a fish fry. They had a whole frying pan of walleye cheeks. Might have been slightly over the limit, did not ask. Tasty. Fried spuds and onions, better than pouting to me.
Dave
I hope the potatoes and onions were fried in bacon fat . Fish , bacon , eggs and fried potatoes with onions is one of my favorite breakfasts whether deer hunting or fishing
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:53 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Next your going to try and tell me that Justin Bieber is not Canadian !
No, they just don't call him "Canadian",
but I can't repeat what he is called, here!
__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A: 2011 Honda Pilot
RLTW
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:10 AM   #20
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,669
Just give me some Spam and scrapple, the rest of this sounds too gourmet for my tastes......
__________________

__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.