Shower Tips ?! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2022, 05:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 E19
Shower Tips ?!

This is likely a dumb question but never having used a "wet bath" (previous RV's all had separate showers) I'm wondering if there are any tricks or tips on how best to use the shower.
I sense that some people use campground showers but I've always preferred using my own facilities and hope to do the same with our E19.
So, do you stand or sit? Door open or closed? Quick rinse or full blown hose down? Do you wipe down the shower after to get rid of moisture?
Maybe you use the outdoor shower instead?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We have a Bamboo slat that we remove before using shower. Then use a small 8 inch squeegie to wipe the walls. Finally some white towels from Costco to wipe down the rest. A bit of a hassle, which is why whenever possible prefer to outdoor shower.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
We have a Bamboo slat that we remove before using shower. Then use a small 8 inch squeegie to wipe the walls. Finally some white towels from Costco to wipe down the rest. A bit of a hassle, which is why whenever possible prefer to outdoor shower.
Excuse me if this might be getting too personal but when showering outdoors do you go commando? If so, do you have a portable shelter of some sort?
Old 05-20-2022, 05:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you shower outside, pull an all-weather floor mat from the tow vehicle to stand on. Suction hooks are handy for towels and shower head.
Attached Thumbnails
exterior shower.jpg  
Old 05-20-2022, 07:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Excuse me if this might be getting too personal but when showering outdoors do you go commando? If so, do you have a portable shelter of some sort?
We have various means when privacy is a concern. Sometimes we'll pull the SUV close and open the doors, other times pull up a tall camp chair and put a towel across it or a pair of them. Using a Coleman folding camp stool it keeps you close to the ground. But those warm weather boondock for sure sites are the best.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:32 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Back to using the "wet" bath, we always put down a bamboo mat that covers the floor area and is easily cleaned.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:09 PM   #7
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
For the shower floor in our E19, we use a mat like:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096RWNPBT

It drys quickly and is soft on the feet. The shower head on the E19 is poor (in our opinion) in terms of shutoff valve quality and spray. I changed it out with:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OAG63G

The water flow rate is only ~10% higher than the original equipment shower head, but the shutoff valve is better (this saves water) and the spray is easier to shower with.

2 cents.

p.s. - door closed, standing, shower curtain firmly against sides of shower, use a squeegee on walls and floor
MVA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't think the shower head is supposed to shut off entirely. Keeps the pump at the ready, or something.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Yes Glenn, it dribbles, like a lot of us.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-20-2022, 10:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Teak floor mat. Squeegee and packtowel when done. Door and curtain closed. Oxygenics shower head. We shower there all the time. Squeegee gets almost all of the water. Very little left to wipe off for us.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Shower Tips ?!

Personally I love having a wet bath and feel a separate shower is a waste of precious space. We also remove our teak mat when showering and squeegee the walls when done. Then replace the teak mat so you always have a dry floor.

The bonus with the wet bath is that you can direct water into the toilet when you are running low on space in your gray tank. And if you are really conserving water you can use the sink as a wash basin to soap and scrub then just do a quick rinse with the wand.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Well I too enjoy the wet bath. I like a cool shower before bed.

I sit sometimes but not always
I rinse, soap up, than rinse.
We have a hard tile mat with holes in it.
We have a shower curtain.
We close the door.
Turn on shower fan

When I can I take the mat out and hose off.
When we get home I clean the outside of trailer.
Wife cleans the inside.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:00 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We have a hard rubber floor thing, it's not really a mat, rather a pair of interlocking squares that fill most of the floor space. We leave it in when we shower just rinse it off once in awhile. I'm not at all of fanatic about squeegeeing out the shower, but I live out west where it's usually pretty dry, the humidity is low, if you leave the fan on and the window cracked things dry out really quickly.

I start by making sure the bathroom sink is clean, close the drain, turn on the hot water to fill the bowl until the water is hot, then shut it off. I use the face cloth as a sponge bath, and only turn the shower head on to rinse. I can usually get away with just a couple gallons of water if I'm not really dirty. When I'm camping, I usually get away with only shampooing once a week.

Next month, my mobile RV repair guy is installing an outdoor shower street side, next to the water heater...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:24 AM   #14

Trailer: 2021 21C
We prefer the shower in our 21c to the campground facilities. As to the OPs questions-
1. We stand
2. Door is closed with the shower curtain pulled across.
We are looking for a better shower curtain now. One supplied from ETI is super cheap.
3. Our method is to rinse, wash, rinse turning the water off in between.
We have upgraded the shower head to the Oxygenics which we had in our previous RV.
4. I wipe down the shower after we are done. I always go last so my wife does not get stuck
wiping it down although it really is easy. I use a synthetic shammy which is stored on
the bottom shelf of the medicine cabinet. After I shower and before drying off I wipe
down everything. The great thing about it is the bathroom is always clean. I made a teak
mat for the floor and it stays in the shower while showering then wipe it down as well.
Of course like others have said vent open and fan on.

You will of course find your own method that will be best for you.
Attached Thumbnails
20220521_065708.jpg   20220521_065529.jpg  
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:53 AM   #15

This is great info, thanks all!

There seems to be a number of different Oxygenics shower heads. Is there one preferred? This one seems like it might have a fairly focused stream which could be helpful.

https://www.amazon.ca/ETL-26488-BODY...1&rps=1&sr=8-1
Old 05-21-2022, 08:12 AM   #16

Trailer: 2021 21C
That is the one we use although ours is white. We picked it up at a lowes on sale (it was much cheaper) It provides a nice bit of pressure without using a ton of water. I have not used any of the other shower heads they produce.

Ryan
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:20 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
This is great info, thanks all!

There seems to be a number of different Oxygenics shower heads. Is there one preferred? This one seems like it might have a fairly focused stream which could be helpful.

https://www.amazon.ca/ETL-26488-BODY...1&rps=1&sr=8-1

We use that one too and are very pleased. We had trouble with it shaking out of the wall holder so wrapping it and setting it on the floor or in the sink was considered. I tried wrapping a rubber band around the head where it fits into the holder and the added grip and tighter fit made it work great, has not come out one time since this expensive and time consuming mod.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:21 AM   #18

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
When we are boondocking or otherwise making an attempt to conserve our freshwater supply, I just take a sponge bath using the bathroom sink. Uses less water than a shower and does not require any bathroom wipe down or drying.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:32 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I found a package of interlocking cushion and cut it to size just so I wouldn't slip on a wet floor. But must also admit I have never taken a shower in there, even though it is a personal rule of mine to always shower every thirty days, whether I need it or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Bath.jpg  
Old 05-21-2022, 11:58 AM   #20

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb-72 View Post
I made a teak mat for the floor and it stays in the shower while showering then wipe it down as well.
Very nice shower mat. What are the dimensions? Just the length and width will do. We’re picking up our 21C next month, and we like the looks and functionality of those teak mats. Thank you!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote