Traveling with a dog - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Traveling with a dog

Due to personal family caregiving issue our 21 Escape has never been more than 30 miles from home. We are soon to have the opportunity to get away. I have always taken my dogs when we use to go with our Casita and we stayed in campgrounds and did the beach and stuff. My question is in traveling where we want to stop at a tourist place where you'll be there for a few hours at least away from the camper - how do you handle the pet thing?

bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
In simple terms, you take turns, one leaves and the other stays. Several states have outlawed leaving pets in automobiles, you may be okay with one in your trailer with the fan on, but we find taking turns works the best for our 2 dogs.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Got that - what we have done in the past for small stops like lunch - dinner etc
when it is hot was build a little DYI swamp cooler for the camper, basically ice in a Styrofoam cooler with vents and a 12 volt fan, now my dogs are alot smaller than yours. I am wondering if the touristy places are starting to make it convenient for folks travelling with pets, probably not but I was curious how other folks do it.
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
It's not really practical to "take turns" when visiting a "tourist" area for a few hours. That's kind of the point of stopping - to enjoy it together.

Many places do allow leashed pets. For those that don't, what we do is try to limit spontaneous tourist stops, and plan to camp there instead. Once we are set up, our Coco does very well waiting for us for a few hours in the trailer while we go out and do our thing.

Yes, I know some rv parks and campgrounds don't allow you to leave your pet alone in the trailer. I suppose if Coco was a barker it might be an issue, but we've done this many times with no issues.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19
We have traveled for months and thousands of miles in both our old Casita '17 and the last two years in our Escape '19 in weather than ranged from near 90 degrees to the mid-30s with a dog and a cat. No problem.

If the weather is under, say, 85 degrees we leave all the windows open and probably leave the exhaust fan running. Of course there's plenty of water. (Not food. Dogs love cat food.) Under normal circumstances I'd say 3 hours is our limit, although 4 or 5 would probably be fine if necessary.

Our biggest concern is the dog barking. Our previous dog tended to bark a lot upon occasion. If that is the case, I'd turn on the air conditioning which would dull outside sounds that might set the dog off. Even just running the overhead fan on high exhaust would probably mask the outside sounds even for sensitive canine ears.

The fan and a.c. of course assume we have auxiliary power.
Rutterslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Our dog never barked while we were away from the trailer.
That's what we thought, until we were informed by our neighbour that she barked and cried the whole time we were away. She just waited until she heard the car leave.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:15 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
We leave a radio on talk shows (mostly NPR) at home while we're away, so the dogs are used to different voices all the time. We do the same when we leave them alone in the camper, and with the roof fan on the noises are pretty much masked. Additionally, we raise the dinette seat cushions against the table and place a barrier in the aisle so they can't get to any windows to see outside.

They're pretty happy snoozing in their "cave" under the table while we're gone - we've done many tests by penning them inside and taking walks around the campground to check that they remained quiet.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:02 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19
Talking Dog sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Our dog never barked while we were away from the trailer.
That's what we thought, until we were informed by our neighbour that she barked and cried the whole time we were away. She just waited until she heard the car leave.
So before you leave you just have to say: "Don't back, okay."
Rutterslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
We tell our dogs when leaving the house that we are going to the store, that way they know we will not be gone too long and since they can not tell time, wait patiently until we return. Seems like to them we are always "going to the store" several times a day!
Old 09-18-2017, 07:48 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We have asked our neighbors in the CG to listen to see if our dogs were barking- they said
"We didn't hear a peep" - people will be honest with you.
We always taught our dogs not to bark, and got them used to being alone when they were very young. The 3-4 hour timeframe is our usual guide.

'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote