Traveling with a dog - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2024, 06:39 PM   #121

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I could not be bothered setting up and even having a fence. Where needed I use a long line with one end fixed to the trailer and the other off at a tree, table or something out there. I attach the regular lead to the dog and the loop to the line with a carabiner. Works great.
Me too, Jim.
Plus we don't have to let her out of her cage to do her business.
L

Old 03-08-2024, 07:17 PM   #122

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Great looking puppy, Lyle! She’s having a good hair day!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 06:19 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Great looking puppy, Lyle! She’s having a good hair day!
Haha. Thanks.

You should see her now. We let her fur grow out for the winter. She looks like a sheep.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:10 AM   #124

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Since Shoji was mauled while on leash by two off leash not well trained Pitbulls from an uncaring owner at a Missouri state park camping trip last year we have now purchased the 16 panel 24" high FXW fencing. It should be noted that Shoji was on leash with four 60+ year old humans on a walk around the quiet campground. Any one of us could have been significantly injured.

This fencing is not to keep our well trained dog from running away but to serve as a slowing deterrent from off leash dogs running over to our camp before we can react to the situation. Imagine if two off leash Pitbulls ran into your camp and attacked your 2 year old Grand Daughter while she was on the rug in front of your Escape playing with her toys.

Since the Pitbull incident I have now implemented a device at all times while camping that will immediately end any attack as instructed by a Missouri Park Ranger, County Sheriff and a Missouri Highway Patrolman. This fencing simply provides for additional reaction time to deploy the device while at camp.

By the way, the FXW fencing is very well made, sturdy and easy to set up. Thanks JNFROMBIGT for the photo of the fencing!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 08:17 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Since Shoji was mauled while on leash by two off leash not well trained Pitbulls from an uncaring owner at a Missouri state park camping trip last year we have now purchased the 16 panel 24" high FXW fencing. It should be noted that Shoji was on leash with four 60+ year old humans on a walk around the quiet campground. Any one of us could have been significantly injured.

This fencing is not to keep our well trained dog from running away but to serve as a slowing deterrent from off leash dogs running over to our camp before we can react to the situation. Imagine if two off leash Pitbulls ran into your camp and attacked your 2 year old Grand Daughter while she was on the rug in front of your Escape playing with her toys.

Since the Pitbull incident I have now implemented a device at all times while camping that will immediately end any attack as instructed by a Missouri Park Ranger, County Sheriff and a Missouri Highway Patrolman. This fencing simply provides for additional reaction time to deploy the device while at camp.

By the way, the FXW fencing is very well made, sturdy and easy to set up. Thanks JNFROMBIGT for the photo of the fencing!
Excellent point. We've had off-leash dogs run into our camp too. We've been lucky they haven't caused any harm.
Old 03-09-2024, 05:56 PM   #126
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:

Any medium-to-large dog can easily jump a 24" fence, so I don't imagine that would keep one from your dog, whether its aggressive or just wants to play.

What is this "device" that will "immediately end any attack"?
Old 03-09-2024, 06:44 PM   #127
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I could not be bothered setting up and even having a fence. Where needed I use a long line with one end fixed to the trailer and the other off at a tree, table or something out there. I attach the regular lead to the dog and the loop to the line with a carabiner. Works great.

All said, I am a firm believer that nothing beats good training to start with. My dogs have always been trained to stay by the trailer when told. Random camping in most cases, go for it.
Doesn't keep other animals at bay, so we do the fencing. Our dogs respect the lightweight IRIS panel fencing; also useful to be able to drape towels for shade over the critters when needed.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 07:52 PM   #128

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My Guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Any medium-to-large dog can easily jump a 24" fence, so I don't imagine that would keep one from your dog, whether its aggressive or just wants to play.

I’m guessing the trusty camp Tommy hawk.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-09-2024, 11:47 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post

I'll say this about the "device". It is none of your concern.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:30 AM   #130

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
I'll say this about the "device". It is none of your concern.

A pit attack will leave quite an impression when witnesses first hand.
I use these to keep my devices handy and hidden.

Also, I spent some time at a spot on a recent trip where dogs seemed everywhere, not pleasant. Bark collars for the untrained dogs would’ve been an easy fix.
Attached Thumbnails
9656EB69-4630-4AE3-BA0E-67BD2169D709.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 10:03 AM   #131

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
jnfrombigt, we have the same fencing for our two little barkers and love it. Keeps them contained but yet they have the freedom to go in and out of the trailer. Sturdy fencing as evidenced by the night I let the dogs out and one ran up to the fence, taking the 'warrior stance'. I stepped out in time to see a black bear ambling away and up the slope behind the trailer.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 11:40 AM   #132

Having personally witnessed three (3) unprovoked off leash dog attacks in my life, I know first hand how gentle and friendly the owners "thought" their dogs were before they violently attacked and what happens from these attacks.

The result of those violent attacks were:

**One (1) 11 year girl received a large rip from her tear duct to her mouth to her ear from a violent head shaking attack by the friendly neighborhood OFF LEASH Collie with all her friends watching on an Easter Sunday. (She was my friend)

**One (1) decapitated Poodle who was sitting on the owners lap on their front porch when an OFF LEASH Shepard ran over unprovoked from the street while being walked around the neighborhood. The 75 year old woman spent a week in the hospital as the result of multiple violent head shaking serious wounds while trying to save her dog. (She was my Mother)

**One (1) ON LEASH Shitzhu survived a violent head shaking attack by two Pitbulls because four (4) 60+ year olds were there to help. Fortunately no humans ended up experiencing any violent head shaking wounds. (My wife, my Dog, and my married life long friends)

Maybe that's why i'm a bit chippy about OFF LEASH DOGS?
Old 03-11-2024, 06:45 PM   #133
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Corgis are great dogs, but they are VERY vocal They bark, a lot.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:20 PM   #134

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Corgis are great dogs, but they are VERY vocal They bark, a lot.
This happens to me a little too often. (Thank you Sadie). Though to be fair Buzz hardly barks at all.
Attached Thumbnails
incoming-84E6E4B8-5CF0-4E97-BBFB-6F677C705530.PNG  
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:04 AM   #135

Quote:
Having personally witnessed three (3) unprovoked off leash dog attacks in my life, I know first hand how gentle and friendly the owners "thought" their dogs were before they violently attacked and what happens from these attacks.

The result of those violent attacks were:

**One (1) 11 year girl received a large rip from her tear duct to her mouth to her ear from a violent head shaking attack by the friendly neighborhood OFF LEASH Collie with all her friends watching on an Easter Sunday. (She was my friend)

**One (1) decapitated Poodle who was sitting on the owners lap on their front porch when an OFF LEASH Shepard ran over unprovoked from the street while being walked around the neighborhood. The 75 year old woman spent a week in the hospital as the result of multiple violent head shaking serious wounds while trying to save her dog. (She was my Mother)

**One (1) ON LEASH Shitzhu survived a violent head shaking attack by two Pitbulls because four (4) 60+ year olds were there to help. Fortunately no humans ended up experiencing any violent head shaking wounds. (My wife, my Dog, and my married life long friends)

Maybe that's why i'm a bit chippy about OFF LEASH DOGS?
Those are so terrible. No one should have to experience that, not even once. They are a good warning that we not be complacent with our dogs. Thanks.