Will a 5.0 fit under a 9' or 10' garage door? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
Great thought...and I already have some for my snow machines. I need to remeasure the garage door and visit with Tammy again once the TA goes into production.

lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Bart here's a picture of my jack wheels. They were for a bumper hitch trailer but I modified them because I didn't like their shallow insertion into my legs. If you were to bend or damage your front jacks while moving your trailer that could end up costing you some time & money. Just be careful with putting stress on the front jacks while moving. There just not strong enough to take quick travel and sudden stops. This advice comes from someone who actually owns a 5.0 and hand moves it often. Search for "5.0 Parking Experts" for more discussion on this topic.

I was surprised to learn about the water fill. I would want a locking door also to keep someone from monkeying around with my water supply. I think that is a step backwards for ETI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jack Wheel 038.JPG (100.0 KB, 4 views)

daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I was surprised to learn about the water fill. I would want a locking door also to keep someone from monkeying around with my water supply. I think that is a step backwards for ETI.

Have never heard of water thievery, except maybe in California during the drought.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
The locking door on the water inlet on my 17B could be pried open with a toothpick.
If for some reason somebody wanted to harm me by messing with the water supply, the door would be no obstacle.
And, they would fail since the water is mainly for washing dishes and showers.
My beer is kept safely inside.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Locked safely inside.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Locked safely inside.
Sort of safe.
Again, if somebody wants in, locks used in the RV world are not much of an obstacle.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I believe Reace said some time ago that the locking water fill was discontinued by the manufacturer.
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
I was more worried about foreign substances being put into the water tank. Agree the locks are more cosmetic than anything else.

Now to start on a build list. Should be much easier the second time around. Curious when the first 5.0 TA will be delivered? Wonder if there are still any blackberries along the roads in Chilliwack in October? Just hate to pull the trigger on a new one until I'm sure I have inside storage for the 5.0. The 19 fits just beautifully and I love having it out of the weather.

And thanks for all of the collective wisdom...
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't think the idea is to put wheels on permanently - it looks (and now have confirmation from a current owner) like the 5.0 comes with removable jack feet that can be interchanged with wheels, and the plain feet would be put on as soon as it came out of the garage. I agree that wheels would likely be undesirable while camping, even chocked, assuming that 5.0 owners don't hand-place their trailers after unhitching.

I would be more than a little nervous about the rectangular flat steel feet sitting well in dollies like that, and I (personally) would be much more confident about a properly fastened wheel, which would also be a much larger wheel than the little casters on those dollies. The vehicle dollies are intended to hold a tire; for flat feet, I noticed snowmobile dollies in Princess Auto last week which I think would work better... but I would still rather use jack wheels.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I assume that the people who put contaminants are the same ones who uncouple trailers, pull out ball mount pins, turn on switches that owners don't want left on, and do all the other things that don't actually happen to trailers... except when their owners accidentally do them and need someone to blame later.

Although a locking water fill makes sense, it it might be worth the hassle of yet another key needed to setup and take down camp, unlocked water fill ports - and city water ports - are pretty common. Even vehicle fuel filler doors are mostly not lockable, which astonished me when I recently went car shopping; my Toyotas have had locking filler doors for three decades.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote