Will a 5.0 fit under a 9' or 10' garage door? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Brian the wheels I purchased from ETI are common and can be purchased at most RV supply businesses. Mine fit loose and did not exhibit the strength and stability that I was comfortable with. Once again...for those interested in hand moving your 5.0, do not discount the risk. This is real world advice.

daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
David, your wheels apparently don't pin on. I had never seen a jack wheel offered for sale which didn't attach with a pin, so I'm not familiar with this style... but I don't buy jack wheels (when I move my conventional trailer by hand I use a dolly). Searching today, I did find that Atwood has some of these, and advises that they are only for light-duty use - obviously not the best choice for the purpose we're discussing, but the wheels needs to work with the jacks if they are attached there. This is why I was asking if common - and obviously more secure - wheels were an option with the jacks used on the Escape; in the ETI website photo, it looks like the wheels are attached with pins, so if the jack model is the same then a caster wheel could be pinned, too.

In the current Coast Distribution catalog, the Atwood light-duty wheel (and corresponding foot) are shown at the bottom of page 538; normal pinned wheels and feet are shown on following two pages for other brands. Coast is one of the biggest wholesale distributors of RV equipment in North America; their catalog corresponds to what is commonly found in RV stores.

Any 5.0 owners willing to open the access door to one of their jacks and tell use the make and model, so we can see if good caster wheels are available for it?

Shared experience is always appreciated!

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Brian my landing gear is Atwood Mobile. The motor is MPD 71119 12vdc.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #34

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Brian my landing gear is Atwood Mobile. The motor is MPD 71119 12vdc.
Thanks.

This explains the use of the Atwood style caster wheel by Escape. Specifications and specific equipment changes during production, of course, which might explain why I'm seeing what looks like a different brand (or at least a different model) in the website photo... I don't remember what was on the one I saw at the factory.

I can't find the jack by the motor assembly number, but I see Atwood jacks in their catalog for which the only feet and wheels offered are the twist-locks... for 1-7/8" diameter legs. For the 2" legs, both twist-lock and pinned are offered. For other models from Atwood, there are only pinned feet and caster wheels.

Usability of the landing gear jacks for hand-moving will obviously depend on the specific jack model.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote