Yet another Texan headed to Chilliwack! - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-07-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Red Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Retired from Dallas Full-Timing, Texas
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD (Sold) 2017 21' Escape on Jan. 16th
Posts: 657
Yet another Texan headed to Chilliwack!

My wife, Dora, and I started our trek today to Chilliwack, BC, for a January 16th orientation date on our 21' Escape travel trailer. Our first leg took us 573 miles and landed us in Las Cruces, NM. We saw a caravan of 4 hippie vans and a beautiful view of the Organ Mountains, near Las Cruces, as the last rays of sun shone on them. Tomorrow will bring new adventures!




Regards,
__________________

__________________
Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA (April '17)
Posts: 59
Hi Fred,

Did you try to register your trailer in Texas before you left? I'm interested since I'm going to try and do the same in April.

Have a great trip!

FYI (for everyone else), here are my previous posts on registering a new trailer in Texas: How to register a new trailer in Texas. See posts #1 and #51 for what I found out about this process.
__________________

__________________
Thomas G.
2017 5.0 TA
2017 F-150 5.0L SuperCrew 6.5' bed 4x2, B&W Turnover Ball, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Gooseneck, Fold-a-cover w/caddy
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Red Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Retired from Dallas Full-Timing, Texas
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD (Sold) 2017 21' Escape on Jan. 16th
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Hi Fred,



Did you try to register your trailer in Texas before you left? I'm interested since I'm going to try and do the same in April.



Have a great trip!



FYI (for everyone else), here are my previous posts on registering a new trailer in Texas: How to register a new trailer in Texas. See posts #1 and #51 for what I found out about this process.


Hi Thomas, I tried unsuccessfully to have a discussion with the Polk County Tax Office. They wouldn't budge. They did tell me I could submit the paperwork by mail, once I picked it up. But, I am skeptical about that too. Just to be clear, I called them instead of driving 5 hours to the tax office.

I wish I lived in Travis County so Maria could handle it.  Wah!!! 


Regards,
__________________
Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 4,653
Just for anyone's information, this is what happened to someone else. They wanted Livingston as their address and started using it, the Escapees address. Unfortunately, they were staying in another county when they went to do registrations. I can only guess that the clerk did not know what he or she was supposed to be doing and refused the Livingston address. The county then had them register in their county, not Livingston's, using an address where they were staying temporarily. These people then switched their address back to Livingston's county. But your vehicles are supposed to be registered in your county of residence as far as I know. So they now have a problem.

You really need to do this in the county you want for a residence. It may be worth the drive.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Red Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Retired from Dallas Full-Timing, Texas
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD (Sold) 2017 21' Escape on Jan. 16th
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Just for anyone's information, this is what happened to someone else. They wanted Livingston as their address and started using it, the Escapees address. Unfortunately, they were staying in another county when they went to do registrations. I can only guess that the clerk did not know what he or she was supposed to be doing and refused the Livingston address. The county then had them register in their county, not Livingston's. These people then switched their addresses back to Livingston's county. But your vehicles are supposed to be registered in your county of residence as far as I know. So they now have a problem.

You really need to do this in the county you want for a residence. It may be worth the drive.


Hi Float5,

Well, since we travel full time and need a mail forwarding service like Escapees, our official address is in Livingston. Once we have the trailer, it should not be a problem to get our plate. I was just trying to be proactive and wanted to have the plate in hand when we picked up our trailer. Oh well.


Regards,
__________________
Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 4,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Hi Float5,

Well, since we travel full time and need a mail forwarding service like Escapees, our official address is in Livingston. Once we have the trailer, it should not be a problem to get our plate. I was just trying to be proactive and wanted to have the plate in hand when we picked up our trailer. Oh well.


Regards,
Livingston clerks are very familiar with fulltimers and Escapees. Not the case necessarily in other counties. Escapees members can call Escapees if there is a problem registering.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
blhvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Myrnam, Alberta
Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Posts: 373
RedDog, I saw the pictures before I read your original oat and thought one of them was your tow vehicle. I was a little worried...����
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:06 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Red Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Retired from Dallas Full-Timing, Texas
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD (Sold) 2017 21' Escape on Jan. 16th
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
RedDog, I saw the pictures before I read your original oat and thought one of them was your tow vehicle. I was a little worried...����


LOL! Mine would have been the red van!


Regards,
__________________
Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Posts: 366
I tried to get 30 day plates in Chambers county and the clerk said that they would not issue one. Registration was out of the question until the trailer was in Chambers county and had completed VIN inspection. I tried to get the 30day plates online and it said to see your local office. I knew were that was going to go so no luck.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
My wife, Dora, and I started our trek today to Chilliwack, BC, for a January 16th orientation date on our 21' Escape travel trailer. Our first leg took us 573 miles and landed us in Las Cruces, NM. We saw a caravan of 4 hippie vans and a beautiful view of the Organ Mountains, near Las Cruces, as the last rays of sun shone on them. Tomorrow will bring new adventures!
Regards,
Fred and Dora, I hope you have great weather and a very fun adventure! You're surely going to love your new Escape.
__________________

__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

J2807 "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.