5.0 TA landing gear control modification - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA Classic (Old School)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Go sit with those party pooper women, and leave us men folk to build things bigger and better things .

Well, at least do some theoretical thinking.
Nah, that's cool. I had wireless happijacs on my truck camper, never again. I'm devolving to the KISS (Keep it simple ......) method as I get older. (However, I did look into the feasability of a auto leveling system). Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!

Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
(However, I did look into the feasability of a auto leveling system). Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
Ahhhh! A closet schemer, eh?

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA Classic (Old School)
Quote:
Ahhhh! A closet schemer, eh?
Was looking at the Bigfoot auto leveling system, one of the motor homes that we looked at prior to deciding on the 5.0 TA had one, (sure is nice). Big $$$ and a bit overkill for our wee trailers. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #44

Quote:
Was looking at the Bigfoot auto leveling system, one of the motor homes that we looked at prior to deciding on the 5.0 TA had one, (sure is nice). Big $$$ and a bit overkill for our wee trailers. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
Definitely. I have a friend with a 25' Class A motorhome that has the 4 corner automatic levelling system. It is really cool when used on relatively flat ground, as the levelling is all automatic, but we often drag them to off the beaten path places and it does not do so well on undulating sites, as there is not enough length to the feet to raise the low corners, so he spends a lot of time figuring out how much to block under them. Definitely overkill in money and weight for a light trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
A good auto-leveling system would be really nice, but most of them are not very good, and I agree that any are heavy and complex for a lightweight travel trailer.

Quote:
Definitely. I have a friend with a 25' Class A motorhome that has the 4 corner automatic levelling system. It is really cool when used on relatively flat ground, as the levelling is all automatic, but we often drag them to off the beaten path places and it does not do so well on undulating sites, as there is not enough length to the feet to raise the low corners, so he spends a lot of time figuring out how much to block under them.
We have a typical hydraulic 4-jack automatic leveling system in our motorhome; it was standard equipment, as is typical with large motorhomes. Uneven ground is not a huge issue because the jacks have significant travel, but also I carry four wooden pads which both spread the load (handy on grass) and provide some extra height - some manual unpacking and hauling of the pads is required, but no big deal figuring anything. I have needed the extra height more for highly sloped prepared sites (where the drop over the 20-foot wheelbase is excessive) than on rough locations.

The bigger issues with my system (which is typical) are two other (related) problems entirely:
  1. The valve systems only allow the the jacks to be retracted as a group, not independently. This is done to save two electrically-controlled valves in the system. If you don't get it right, you fully retract and start again.
  2. The automatic controls are not responsive enough, and routinely overshoot slightly. This leads to additional corrective actions, and because it can only adjust upward, the whole RV ends up higher on the jacks than required. I now only use the system with manual control (pushing the buttons manually - the jacks are always powered).
If you choose or make a leveling system, watch for these issues. The easiest solution is to use jacks with individual electric motors, rather than a hydraulic system. These are commercially available, but as a whole package they usually have excessively large jacks for an Escape-sized trailer... that's why Escape uses the jacks they do for the 5.0TA landing gear, rather than the heavier jacks intended for that application.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA/03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
I must have freakishly long arms. Until I saw this thread, I never gave it a thought on the difficulty of seeing the landing gear. Peace, Apeman Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!

I'm a normal size guy (5'9") who also never thought it was difficult to see both jacks.

Cliff
JMTHKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:17 AM   #47

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Thanks to Barry for the idea.
I completed my own version of the mod, I had to do something on the weekend. To see what I did, scroll down to "Landing gear control" here https://escape440.wordpress.com/2016/04/11/still-to-do/
Old 04-27-2016, 07:28 AM   #48

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Very nice job Chris, makes me think about doing the same.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:34 AM   #49

Another well thought out and executed job, Chris. I love when we feed you ideas and let you do all the hard thinking for us.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
I love it Chris, way to tool man it.

strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote