5.O TA Winter Cover - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA
5.O TA Winter Cover

Hi
I was just wondering what type of winter covers are being used on the fifth wheels
Combat Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:37 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
How much do you want to spend?

Parked on the windier north side of the house, 6 or 7 months use per year.

Cheapest Adco fell apart after 2-3 years. $200+
Better Adco, Tyvek, lasted 6. $300+
Don't know how long the Calmark Sunbrella will last as yet, 3 years and counting, no noticeable wear. Hardest to Install. $700+ I guess you could call this one the best, it's by far the heaviest fabric.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look at the brands you recommended. I guess I'm also wondering about size as nothing I've seen is built for the Escape specifically.

Kim
Combat Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The Adco are a standard cover, they fit, but not well. The Calmark is custom made to your measurements. I know some of the folks have taken their trailer right to Calmarks plant and had them do the measuring with some sort of laser gizmo. I measured mine pretty well and the fit is still just so so. Doesn't fit very well under the loft, the rest is fine so I can live with it. I clip it up like the clothes designers do with their models.

The better the fit the less the wind will effect it. Wind and sharp corners destroy the covers. The better the cover, the better it will withstand rips and such. The weight of the Calmark helps keep it from billowing too much in the wind although I do still truss it up as much as practical. If you could get one to fit like ladies yoga pants it would be great in the wind.

You can also call Calmark if you decide to go with them and ask if they already have good measurements, hopefully not mine.

I could have returned it for modification, but shipping would have been on me, and this thing is pretty heavy.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #5

Trailer: Feb 2017 5.0TA "Cackleberry" - 2016 Chevy Silverado
*This is a note that I sent to a friend asking what I thought about our cover that we just received from Calmark...hope it's not too long-winded, but so far am liking it a lot. *
Sending along some pics of the trailer cover, which I'm very pleased with. When I ordered, the company (calmarkcovers.com) said they had another 2017 Escape 5th wheel coming down to their place and they were doing a laser measurement of that trailer & it would be a more accurate measurement than what we could do if we didn’t mind waiting for that to happen. So we did and I'm happy with the results-it fits well and snug-the part over the nose fits like a fitted bed sheet! There are other grommets around the bottom if we wanted to secure it more, but am fairly certain we won't need to.
We had a cover for our Scamp-altho they didn't seem to have covers for small rigs at that time, so it was pretty huge & required lots of tie-downs, but I thought that it was totally worth having - and when we sold it the trailer, the new owner was elated to have it no matter what condition it was in-he wanted whatever protection he could get.
We have quite a few trees in the neighborhood-esp the 2 fir trees behind us & the needles are all over the place! (those drive me crazy) And with the sap, bird poop and general pollens & dust/dirt, I feel that's a lot of crud to work on the trailer finish. It also helps with protecting with sunlight-UV rays that cause oxidation and degradation of the gelcoat. I like the part that if you cover it clean-the result when you uncover is so much better than if it wasn't covered.
I don't remember if you have solar, but I've been checking with the cover on that there is still power going to the batteries-so am planning to check & top off the batteries, but leave them in the trailer over the winter-see how that goes.
I took a pic this morning with the door flap up-easy access. When we didn't go out in the Scamp in the summer (working) we left the cover on and raised the flap..figured it helped with the sun & UV rays.
Anyhoo, I know we both wish we could have a garage or shelter for our rigs, but I feel that this is a good option for helping to care for our investment
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	28630

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	28631

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	28632
jensworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #6

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Yes, and as Judy pointed out to me (but snipped out of her above reply), my kitty decals might last longer!

We have one on order and it'll probably be here after the beginning of the year. They had measurements for the 2nd Gen 21 (which isn't what the OP has, but others might), but they still wanted photos of the front and the roof. Which I happily supplied and the gal I talked to on the phone just loved the kitty decals. she was right in the middle of a sentence when she opened up the photos. Subject quickly got changed midstream. Too funny.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i looked into ordering the Calmark but the 800 price with out tax/shipping was a lot. Also i couldn't cover it my self very heavy. But having one made that fits perfectly and will last longer then two seasons is tempting. I'm still thinking about it - might order next year...
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Kate,
I just put our Calmark back on our 17 (just in time to keep the Thomas Fire ashes off). I weighted it prior to install, and it was 26 lbs. I would guess yours would be 35 lbs. I usually do it solo (but with two people is much easier), according to the method that the Calmark owner showed me at purchase (We live 10 miles from their location). To take the cover off, we use two ladders (or keep moving one ladder from side to side). We roll the cover from front to middle (between Maxx fan and AC unit), and roll from the rear to middle. Then we slide the doubled "sausage" down one trailer side right into a trash bag or plastic trash can or cardboard box. Installation is the reverse. We tie a rope around one end of the sausage, and use the rope to pull the cover up and over the top middle of the trailer, then unroll to the front and to the rear.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Can someone tell me, please, the brand of cover that is listed on the build sheet from eti? thanks.
h2owmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Can someone tell me, please, the brand of cover that is listed on the build sheet from eti? thanks.
When did Escape start offering covers as an option? They don't sell covers as far as I know.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Did not know that Escape sells one. There are pros and cons to a cover depending on how severe the weather is in your area. I opted not to go with one but rather just do continuous outside maintenance.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
ETI did (or does) sell covers. It used to be right on the homepage, bottom left.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
ETI did (or does) sell covers. It used to be right on the homepage, bottom left.
Well I'll be. Sure enough, they have one for a 17 on their merchandise page. A Classic Accessories "Over Drive" PolyPro 3.

I see them on Amazon as well in various other sizes.