cabinet locks - theft deterrence - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA Jan. 2015, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
I just picked up a PA-108 FAT 50 calibre ammo box, on sale at Princess Auto, that will fit my MacBook, iPad, several hard drives and other small valuables. Hopefully I can find somewhere out-of-sight to secure it inside the 5.0TA once we get it home. In the meantime I intend to attach a means of locking it and a box-type cover for the lock so it can't be cut off. When I get around to this project I'll be sure to post what I do.

I've looked at lock boxes and fire safes for this purpose but each has more limitations for me than what I decided upon. The ammo box won't be fire-safe but that's a compromise I can live with.

For some camping situations we will likely just leave our electronics at home but for extended trips and other foreseeable uses we will want to have some means of communication &/or music along with us. You must anticipate needing/wanting your equipment along or you wouldn't be asking the question.

Hope this idea helped.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #12

Trailer: Former class c .. Deciding on 17B
Opportunistic thefts are just that!

Would you leave a "c note" on the dinette unattended?

One tends to not notice a missing item....until it's long gone. Personally I wouldn't leave anything out....that I would surely miss!

Kind of like jewelry in your home...sitting on the dresser! Ya never know....when the burglar will make a house call! If you want to keep your belongings...then secure them.

reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Great lively discussion guys. Thanks for all thoughts.

As OP, will take along a "tech box" and place in locked vehicle when it's visiting hours. Out of sight, out of mind. Will see if I run across a suitable lock in my travels.

I had not thought of a fire proof/resistant box but will try to remember that for future.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Great lively discussion guys. Thanks for all thoughts.

As OP, will take along a "tech box" and place in locked vehicle when it's visiting hours. Out of sight, out of mind. Will see if I run across a suitable lock in my travels.

I had not thought of a fire proof/resistant box but will try to remember that for future.
Don't know about drawers in the 21 but in the 19 if you take a drawer out and measure it's length and then measure the length of the space it fits into you'll find there's a very usable amount of space. We use it as a quick to access but totally out of sight storage area for small valuables. We've had the small safes/lock boxes in RVs' and they also offer peace of mind.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #15

Personally, I foresee some instances for me where the vehicle may be a less desireable place for my valuables than the relative safety of a campground, for example when leaving the truck parked in a city for the day or at a remote trailhead. Of course, everyones needs and styles are different so your mileage may vary on this.

Fire safes and lock boxes go on sale every few months at Canadian Tire. The fire safes are very secure but need to be strapped down rather than putting bolts or screws through them, obviously, or you would negate the fire and waterproofness. They are necessarily also quite heavy.

The lock boxes can be bolted down but the ones I saw had flimsy locks that can be easily opened with a potato when you know the trick- search it on YouTube for a demonstration. (As a consolation, if the thieves leave the potato behind at least you can make poutine while you are waiting for the Police.)
Old 12-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Don't know about drawers in the 21 but in the 19 if you take a drawer out and measure it's length and then measure the length of the space it fits into you'll find there's a very usable amount of space. We use it as a quick to access but totally out of sight storage area for small valuables.
Ron
Ooh, I like that idea a lot. Similar to something we do at home.