Electric Heater Install - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,312
Electric Heater Install

My first modification to my new 5.0TA was to install an electric heater, so I could use it this winter as I do my other mods, and not put a strain on the propane supply. I had planned to do it anyway. My trailer is on the drive in front of my attached garage so quite handy to my workshop.

After a lot of looking and researching for a built in electric heater install, I settled on a Myson Whispa E50 Kickspace Fan Convector.

I decided on some kind of kickspace heater due to their low profile. I did not want to put a large grate on the wall in a space I could better use for cabinet storage. I looked at offerings from many companies, basically every model out there. I settled on the Myson E50 as it had a quiet squirrel cage fan, and two heat settings. Most heaters that offer multiple heat outputs have to be rewired inside the housing to accommodate the change, or one could go to the trouble to wire in a selector switch. The Myson E50 offered dual switches right on the front of the unit for selecting either 800 or 1600 Watts.

The 5.0TA offers the perfect location for the heater, in the bottom step to the loft. I had to have Escape build it a bit wider to comfortably house the heater. The depth of the step is fine as it is. Here is a shot before I cut out the hole to install the heater in.



This is a shot of the installed heater from above. There is a grate on the rear, as well as the one on the top for return air, which comes in both sides of the front grille. You can see the two cleats front and back I put in, where I will cut and put a plywood shelf so I can still stow things above the heater. The shelf is up a bit to allow good air circulation around the heater. Instead of wiring in a line voltage thermostat, I installed an Aube 120V Relay With Built In 24V Transformer so I could use a regular low voltage thermostat.



I installed a Honeywell PRO 1000 Vertical Non-Programmable Thermostat right above the Escape installed one for the furnace and A/C. I had Escape run a pair of control wires up to it during the build.



This was an easy mod, which took about 2 hours to do. I do plan to put a piece of our vinyl flooring inside on the shelf above the heater for easy cleaning. Here is a shot of the final product. I am contemplating painting the grille black, but that will come at a later time. Too much other stuff to do for now.

__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Ian G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Posts: 446
Very nice Jim.
Where did you buy the heater?
__________________

__________________
Ian & Joan
2014 Escape 19' & 1974 Custom Boler "Buttercup"
Escape Key Chains at our Camping Treasures web store || www.Proud-Canadian.com blog
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Very nice Jim.
Where did you buy the heater?
Thanks for reminding me Ian, I should have included this. It is one of the pricier ones out there, but it fit the bill. This is the only place I could find that would ship to Canada, otherwise there are a few other places that carry it. Myson is big into hydronic heaters too.

Myson E50 Electric Kickspace Heater. Myson Whispa E50 Floor Toe Kick
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,951
I like it. Think there is much chance of inadvertently kicking the switches on the front, or is that a non problem?
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I like it. Think there is much chance of inadvertently kicking the switches on the front, or is that a non problem?
It is a possibility, but they could take it, and would just have to be switched back to where you wanted again. The same with the push button on/off switch. I wasn't keen on having it, but it came standard.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Front Range, Colorado
Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Posts: 526
Looks like a great location as some heat can go into the bathroom thru the gap in the lower part of the door.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
ReagentGrade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Posts: 507
Jim,

This is great! I was wondering about the width of the step, you answered that. I'm so glad I'll have a trailer built by the folks at ETI, who are willing to do things like that. The job would have been much bigger if you had to build a wider step and run the wires yourself. With their help, it became an easy task. And such an elegant solution: out of the way, quiet, and thermostatically controlled. A great addition to a wonderful trailer.

I also love the fabric and flooring you choose. Very nice!

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
The job would have been much bigger if you had to build a wider step and run the wires yourself. With their help, it became an easy task. And such an elegant solution: out of the way, quiet, and thermostatically controlled.
Rich, in my mind very much worth the $50 to run the wire. It takes them minutes, but would have taken me hours, with a few cuss words thrown in. And it is a great solution. One of the few 120V items we carried and used in campgrounds with hookups was a cube heater, and this will eliminate that and be right out of the way too.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:33 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 729
Very nice!
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
ReagentGrade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Posts: 507
$50 is a bargain! They could have gotten away with a larger charge and it still would be worthwhile.

I also have one of those come heaters. It's nice to be able to point them in any direction, but wherever to put them they always seem to be in the way.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:31 AM   #11
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,951
If I thought I could find material to rebuild the lower step I'd do this one. I've tried 3 different electric heaters and all have huge temp swings. If anyone knows where one can get a sheet of the wall board and some trim I'd appreciate it, without a 6000 drive.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If I thought I could find material to rebuild the lower step I'd do this one. I've tried 3 different electric heaters and all have huge temp swings. If anyone knows where one can get a sheet of the wall board and some trim I'd appreciate it, without a 6000 drive.
Do you know anyone in your neck of the woods heading to the rally in Osoyoos? Reace or someone from Escape could bring the enough panel and trims to redo the step for you. I would likely have enough left over too. Mind you, the company that supplies Escape with these products is right here in Calgary, though not certain if they sell to the public.

Home
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 4,207
When does the Bennett Traveling Escape Mod Ltd company start?
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:07 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
When does the Bennett Traveling Escape Mod Ltd company start?
I first have to figure out how to bring all the needed tools with me. Easy here in Alberta where a double tow is allowed, but not so much in BC and a lot of other provinces and states.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 4,207
Well, you'll just have to get this one all finished, sell it, get a 21, and tow it with a BIG truck!!
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Well, you'll just have to get this one all finished, sell it, get a 21, and tow it with a BIG truck!!
Or, I could just retire like I keep talking about!
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 4,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Or, I could just retire like I keep talking about!
Now THAT should move to the top of that too long To Do list!
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
gabeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Posts: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My first modification to my new 5.0TA was to install an electric heater, so I could use it this winter as I do my other mods, and not put a strain on the propane supply. I had planned to do it anyway. My trailer is on the drive in front of my attached garage so quite handy to my workshop.

After a lot of looking and researching for a built in electric heater install, I settled on a Myson Whispa E50 Kickspace Fan Convector.

I decided on some kind of kickspace heater due to their low profile. I did not want to put a large grate on the wall in a space I could better use for cabinet storage. I looked at offerings from many companies, basically every model out there. I settled on the Myson E50 as it had a quiet squirrel cage fan, and two heat settings. Most heaters that offer multiple heat outputs have to be rewired inside the housing to accommodate the change, or one could go to the trouble to wire in a selector switch. The Myson E50 offered dual switches right on the front of the unit for selecting either 800 or 1600 Watts.

The 5.0TA offers the perfect location for the heater, in the bottom step to the loft. I had to have Escape build it a bit wider to comfortably house the heater. The depth of the step is fine as it is. Here is a shot before I cut out the hole to install the heater in.



This is a shot of the installed heater from above. There is a grate on the rear, as well as the one on the top for return air, which comes in both sides of the front grille. You can see the two cleats front and back I put in, where I will cut and put a plywood shelf so I can still stow things above the heater. The shelf is up a bit to allow good air circulation around the heater. Instead of wiring in a line voltage thermostat, I installed an Aube 120V Relay With Built In 24V Transformer so I could use a regular low voltage thermostat.



I installed a Honeywell PRO 1000 Vertical Non-Programmable Thermostat right above the Escape installed one for the furnace and A/C. I had Escape run a pair of control wires up to it during the build.



This was an easy mod, which took about 2 hours to do. I do plan to put a piece of our vinyl flooring inside on the shelf above the heater for easy cleaning. Here is a shot of the final product. I am contemplating painting the grille black, but that will come at a later time. Too much other stuff to do for now.

__________________
All things in life are easier to swallow with a good cup of tea .....
gabeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:23 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,312
I might have lied a bit on the time to install. I just realized I am not done yet, as I only did a temporary connection with the power for the heater until I figure out what circuit I would like to put it on.

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:35 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Trailer: Mustang 2014
Posts: 1
Looks really nice. Congrats!
I have recently bought Marley QTS1504T electric kickspace heater. It installs under the cabinet lip and is out of side.
My drafty kitchen is a thing of the past. I also like the fact that it is unobtrusive, you really dont even know it's there!
__________________

mitpol16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×