Outlets, plus, switches... What modification? The Build - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2017, 08:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Outlets, plus, switches... What modification? The Build

What additional outlets, plugs, and switches..... locations... et. al. and why?

Thank you.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All depends on your camping style, if you have hookups all the time then you may want more electrical for appliances, heat blankets and so on. If not hooked up then you may want more 12v for boon docking with solar. You are in a better position to answer this. You can always addd more of both to cover both styles of camping. You can get a schematic with the stock locations and then go from there.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
I added a switch at the front door (next to the outside light switch) to control the central ceiling light between the kitchen and the sink. This makes it convenient to turn the light on/off as you are entering/leaving the trailer.

I also added 2 x 12v outlets in the bedroom next to the existing AC outlets. These are convenient for charging a phone or tablet after some late night reading. Each 12v outlet come with 2 USB sockets.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You can get a schematic with the stock locations and then go from there.
Where can I see the 5.0TA stock locations?

Thank you.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Not knowing what is standard now I added 2 additional 12v outlets, both would be USB these days as I've converted them to such.

1. Mid point of the back dinette bench of the U. Use it all the time while at the table, dual port USB.

2. Outside next to the 120vac outlet. Use it occasionally for the fan, and once in a while for charging something, mostly the fan.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Honair,

I asked ETI to add "2-Exterior 12V Outlets; 1) P/S beside standard exterior 120V outlet; 2) D/S between wheel wells"

This makes it very convenient for me to plug in my 12V portable air compressor
------------------
The trailer comes with two standard exterior LED lights. One on the driver side and one on the passenger side, but I asked for two more.
I asked ETI to add "2-additional exterior LED lights; 1) Rear, centered above belly band 2) Front, centered above belly band"

------------------
We already have one switch to turn on/off the passenger side light. So, I asked for an additional switch to turn on/off the other 3 from the inside.
I asked ETI to add "1 - additional switch - Rear, Front & D/S exterior lights"

P/S: Passenger Side
D/S: Driver Side

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Red Dog

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
I added a switch at the front door (next to the outside light switch) to control the central ceiling light between the kitchen and the sink. This makes it convenient to turn the light on/off as you are entering/leaving the trailer.

Honair,

I think this is a great option and I missed adding it to our build sheet.

Red Dog

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
What additional outlets, plugs, and switches..... locations... et. al. and why?
I added a 110v outlet under the bench seat so I could charge tools and power the wifi router and other items that didn't need to be in the living space.

Additional 110v outlet near the bed would have been nice to power the electric blankets - much more pleasant than using the propane furnace.

Additional 12v outlet near the driver side wheels to power an air compressor and my water transfer pump would also have been nice.

Too many outlets That would be like having too much money.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19'
We added one exterior 12V on passenger side by the door, thinking it might be handy for compressor and such. So far haven't used it.. I still think it's a good idea to have one outside tho (I think otherwise you dont have 12V socket outside). We also added an additional 12V above the bed on driver side.. this turns out to be the only outlet we ever used so far, we plugged in a USB hub and turn the overhead cubbie into a "charging station" for electronic devices... We haven't had the need to use any other outlets yet..

Ask ETI for a map of where the outlets will be... then you can see if you want more and where.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
Where can I see the 5.0TA stock locations?

Thank you.
ETI sent us a diagram when we ordered our trailer. I think it came with the info on choosing our exterior graphics colors. If they didn't send you one, you should contact them and ask for it. (I'm sure they'll happily oblige.)

We basically added a 12v plug next to each (stock location) 120. In our case, it's primarily so we can plug in a 12v "Endless Breeze" fan when we are camping without electric hookup. (We didn't get the inverter option...which is another topic that gets discussed fairly regularly.)
Old 10-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Put a 120V on the cut corner of the 21 bed for sitting on the bed while using a hair dryer and the mirror on the bathroom door.

Added Pass side 12V exterior outlet next to the lower awning mount and had the 120V moved back alongside. Now wifey can run any kind of awning lights she desires....

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
We added a lot of additional 120v and 12v/5v outlets.

A 120v to the driver's side dinette bench. This is opposite the 120 volt outlet on the passenger side bench so we each can plug in our computer where we sit.

120v to the cut corner at the foot of the bed, for a hair dryer.

120v just above the fold-down shelf at the foot of the bed. (we have the closet above the drawer stack). We plug in our Dyson vacuum cleaner for recharging.

12v/5v outlet on the front of the kitchen counter (next to the 120 volt outlet), for plugging in cell phones.

12v/5v outlet to center of the back bench of our U-shape dinette, for plugging in a small inverter for computer use when boondocking.

12v/5v outlet to the passenger side of the cabinet above the bed for a fan my wife likes at night.

In addition we added external 12v outlets between the wheels on both sides. As Red Dog stated we use it for our electric tire pump.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have 120 and 12V outlets under a counter extension at the foot of the bed and they were standard.

We added 120/12V to door side of the bed at the foot. We use that one and the standard one under counter extension near the bed window for a compressor for the tires.

Also added second 120/12V/at the dinette to the standard ones. Have USBs with those, both sides.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote