Raising the bed off the floor of the 5.0 TA ?? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Perry and Ronn, I have a small tension rod threaded through a length of pipe insulation that is on the inside of the door frame just a little bit below the frame. It is very unobtrusive and kept my 6'4" son from bonking his head when he camped with me and his daughters. It wouldn't help from bumps coming in, but i think it is more likely to bump going out.

Alf and Ronn, guess your loft area is for noodling around.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:46 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Perry and Ronn, I have a small tension rod threaded through a length of pipe insulation that is on the inside of the door frame just a little bit below the frame. It is very unobtrusive and kept my 6'4" son from bonking his head when he camped with me and his daughters. It wouldn't help from bumps coming in, but i think it is more likely to bump going out.

Alf and Ronn, guess your loft area is for noodling around.
I think I saw a photo of this before. My problem isn't due to my height (5'10"), it seems I change my stooping stance too soon when I have something on my mind. I can't walk and chew gum at the same time either.

I will look into the pipe insulation solution.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #43

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Froli base

This is what the Froli base looks like in my 5.0 prior to wrestling the mattress back up there.

This is the "queen" Froli package but installed for the full/double mattress that ETI provided me. I may have ordered some extra pieces, too. I have the lighter-colored/softer units gathered to one side because it is just me - and the dog doesn't care. I have the pieces all the way to the sides, instead of all the way to the foot, because I store things on the sides and I wanted the air gap. The red stiffener pieces, really noticable on the left, are to the sides due to using that area for storage. Even with this base and the unused tabletop under the mattress I still have room above my head when sitting upright on the mattress.

As far as making the bed, my prior rv had the mattress sideways against the end wall with about 3' exposed in the middle of the other side for getting in/out. At one end was the bath wall, at the other was the kitchen counter (sink). I find making the 5.0 bed quite easy in comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
0907191456_HDR.jpg  
Old 06-18-2020, 08:07 AM   #44

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0 TA currently in "The Build Queue"
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
This is what the Froli base looks like in my 5.0 prior to wrestling the mattress back up there.

This is the "queen" Froli package but installed for the full/double mattress that ETI provided me. I may have ordered some extra pieces, too. I have the lighter-colored/softer units gathered to one side because it is just me - and the dog doesn't care. I have the pieces all the way to the sides, instead of all the way to the foot, because I store things on the sides and I wanted the air gap. The red stiffener pieces, really noticable on the left, are to the sides due to using that area for storage. Even with this base and the unused tabletop under the mattress I still have room above my head when sitting upright on the mattress.

As far as making the bed, my prior rv had the mattress sideways against the end wall with about 3' exposed in the middle of the other side for getting in/out. At one end was the bath wall, at the other was the kitchen counter (sink). I find making the 5.0 bed quite easy in comparison.
We have the Froli Travel system under our current RV's double bed and love it. It's good to know that it won't be much of a height issue in the 5.0 because we would like to use it again. Having the mattress 1 3/8 of an inch off the floor (in the case of the Travel Froli) and getting that "air gap" you mentioned, not only gives some spring to the mattress but also a little more peace of mind when it comes any moisture issues. Thanks StillCampin'
LaurieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:24 AM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post

Looks like a giant Tic/Tac/Toe game........
Old 03-16-2022, 10:32 PM   #46

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I installed a new bathroom fan in my attic and had quite a few bumps on my knoggen when i was done. I purchased a "Bump" cap from Ergodyne. It is for light industrial and looks like a baseball cap. https://www.ergodyne.com/skullerz-8950-bump-cap.html
Much lighter and more stylish than a hard hat.
I love this forum. Was just revisiting old posts and came across this. Although the bed making talk was helpful, what caught my attention was the head bumping and your solution. Since I am constantly bumping my head when packing up and hooking up the 5.0 (I have a big scab on my head now), I followed the link to the bump hat and am so happy. My sister had suggested that I wear my bike helmet, but I said that would look stupid. I hope this hat is less conspicuous.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:22 AM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
I love this forum. Was just revisiting old posts and came across this. Although the bed making talk was helpful, what caught my attention was the head bumping and your solution. Since I am constantly bumping my head when packing up and hooking up the 5.0 (I have a big scab on my head now), I followed the link to the bump hat and am so happy. My sister had suggested that I wear my bike helmet, but I said that would look stupid. I hope this hat is less conspicuous.
Hi: Carmel Clown... Welcome to the "Bump and grind". My scab was the big "C". I got scalped so its gone now!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:06 AM   #48

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Hi Alf. I too had a scab on my head that never healed. It turned out to be the big C, so I too have been scalped. Now I always wear a hat if I will be in the sun. ��
Old 03-17-2022, 08:19 PM   #49

Trailer: 5.0 escape
condensation around mattress in 5.0?

Hello

Soon to be new owners of a 5.0. We have really been appreciating all of the advice
offered through the forum and looking forward to hopefully meeting some folks on the road this winter.

Loved this mattress discussion (and the fact that it appears to be predominantly a female occupation bed making)))

We are curious if anyone has had an issue with condensation around the mattress in the 5.0? particularly around the head of the mattress which we suspect if fairly close to the exterior wall?

And if the answer is yes how have you dealt with it? We plan on doing a lot of shoulder season camping when the range in temperature between inside and outside will be fairly high.

Thanks so much!!!!

Mary & Ted
tedtucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:19 PM   #50

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
We’re planning to put in a Froli system after we bring our 21C home in early June. Has anyone used this before?
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 08:09 AM   #51

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
My Froli install and comments are posts 32-39 and post 67 in this thread:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...e-21759-2.html
Old 03-18-2022, 08:22 AM   #52

Trailer: 21
We have the Froli system installed in our 21 the difference was night n day. We sleep n wake up rested n relaxed $$$ well spent
Old 03-18-2022, 10:17 AM   #53

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Mattress Insider offered a 5% discount to forum members https://go.referralcandy.com/share/NNRVN3K
Old 03-18-2022, 11:08 AM   #54

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
I may have found one solution for those of us who are a bit challenged making a bed in any circumstances or restrictions.

Costly though it may be, this bedding may actually get my other half making the bed in our RV.

beddys.com

https://youtu.be/fIGA3jhnKjg
That's what we got in our 5.0 and my wife loves it.
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 11:34 AM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtucci View Post
Hello

Soon to be new owners of a 5.0. We have really been appreciating all of the advice
offered through the forum and looking forward to hopefully meeting some folks on the road this winter.

Loved this mattress discussion (and the fact that it appears to be predominantly a female occupation bed making)))

We are curious if anyone has had an issue with condensation around the mattress in the 5.0? particularly around the head of the mattress which we suspect if fairly close to the exterior wall?

And if the answer is yes how have you dealt with it? We plan on doing a lot of shoulder season camping when the range in temperature between inside and outside will be fairly high.

Thanks so much!!!!

Mary & Ted
Hi: tedtucci... Simple solution is... pull the mattress away from the nose and drop a pool noodle into the space. Worked for us. I do easy really well!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:33 PM   #56

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
no issues with condensation for me but in cold wet weather i use a dehumidifier
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 10:10 PM   #57

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Thank you, Randy and Rock - and to the folks who posted on the Froli back in 2020. All have given us confidence to proceed with our Froli plans. Thanks.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:08 PM   #58

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
5.0 ta 2014

We installed an Ikea bed slat system. It gives both a breathing space and a bit more spring to the mattress.
It is similar to the 'Luroy' (currently online at Ikea)

We haven't had any condensation problems. We always keep a few windwos cracked open, plus the skylight & vents opened a little.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 05:34 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtucci View Post
Hello

Thanks so much!!!!

Mary & Ted
We camped in central Texas in early to mid February 2 years ago and most nights temp was close to freezing point. Was similar camping in southern Ontario last fall. On cooler nights we would wake up with some humidity between the mattress and front wall, on the windows in the loft sleeping area and on the skylight above the bed. We would simply wipe off condensation with a microfiber cloth and by lunchtime everything was dry again. it was such a small inconvenience that we've never done anything about it other than keeping the mattress a bit away from the front wall. i used to regularly lift up the mattress to check for ay signs of humidity on the carpet and everything looks like brand new. The minute it takes to wipe things down is nothing.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 11:05 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: tedtucci... Simple solution is... pull the mattress away from the nose and drop a pool noodle into the space. Worked for us. I do easy really well!!! Alf
Ditto - We do the same, works for us.