A/C not as cold as expected - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I discovered that I have a hard time telling which way the A/C's control knobs are pointing, which kept the unit from operating as desired. It sounds silly, I know, but Dometics subtle Euro design just goes right by me, so I marked the pointer part of the knobs with a marker. Like former president George W. Bush, I don't do nuance.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #42

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I discovered that I have a hard time telling which way the A/C's control knobs are pointing, which kept the unit from operating as desired. It sounds silly, I know, but Dometics subtle Euro design just goes right by me, so I marked the pointer part of the knobs with a marker. Like former president George W. Bush, I don't do nuance.
I was able to confirm the correct orientation of the knobs by the compressor kicking on and off so I believe I have that correct. I agree with you on the design. My wife and I discussed the differences when troubleshooting
bshbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Assuming the AC is wired and installed properly, it should get the interior quite cool, even in hot climates. Here in South Texas, with an outside air temp of 96-98F, and WAY more humidity than you would ever find in Utah, we can run ours on low speed and still keep the trailer around 75F.

Something doesn't sound right to me. As others have suggested, maybe have the system checked out.
Thanks for the confirmation. I thought it should be downright cold . We ran it on varying levels from low to high for hours and it never got cooler than 85 on the thermometer.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
I would agree. My 2009 has one of the earliest roof mounted ac units (sorry it is in storage and I don't recall the brand and it isn't a Dometic), but even in 100 degree+ weather, I have to turn it down as it gets really cold. I also have less area to cool as my Escape is a 17'.
Good luck in solving your problem soon.
Thank you. We hope to get this trailer cool soon.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Try the recommended Dometic test (as relayed to me by a local Dometic authorized repair dealer) when we first thought ours wasn't working. Their test is designed to eliminate some of the variables.

First find a thermometer that has an accurate digital probe. I used a meat thermometer that normally goes into meat for the oven. (Actually, any thermometer that you can place in the vent area would work as long as it won't shut off.) Place the probe in the vent of the AC (this is the inside exhaust vent) and run on FAN ONLY for 15 minutes to establish the ambient temperature.

Second, after 15 minutes turn the compressor on in high mode and run for about 5 minutes. Note the change on the thermometer. Any change above 15 degrees is considered by Dometic to be OK or working. I just did this again on ours. Outside temp is 94 F. Ambient in the trailer was 80 F after 15 minutes on fan. After 6 minutes with the compressor on I got 49 F or a change of 31 degrees. Optimum for the Penguin II.

The dealer cautioned me that you cannot go on feel in the trailer or a thermometer that is not placed in the vent. What you are checking is the ability of the AC to change its ambient intake air to a colder air at the exhaust. This process is similar to how I have seen my auto dealership test my car A/C.

I would be interested to know your results when testing as recommended by Dometic. As new as your A/C is, I suspect it is operating within parameters. When we first got ours and were in 110 F heat, we didn't think ours was working either, but it was. Good luck.
Thanks for the thorough explanation. I will try the test above and report the results as soon as I can.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshbros View Post
Thanks for the thorough explanation. I will try the test above and report the results as soon as I can.
This is the test a Dometic dealer would perform to confirm that you do have a problem with the A/C. Others have reported their luck but there are so many variables. Are you in the sun, do you have the shades drawn, do you have shade over the outside windows, how much are you going in and out, etc. we have improved hot weather performance with outside shades, for example. If you don't believe me, touch the inside frame of any window in the sun. The A/C is constantly trying to compensate for that influx of heat off the frame. We have also added insulated window curtains on the inside. Run the test and if the A/C is within parameters you may have to start looking at other ameliorating factors. Safe/cool travels.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #47

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Could added insulation account for the different experiences with the AC? ETI does provide an "extra insulation and thermal barrier glass option". Like to hear from those who adequate AC.
sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:32 PM   #48
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkman View Post
Could added insulation account for the different experiences with the AC? ETI does provide an "extra insulation and thermal barrier glass option". Like to hear from those who adequate AC.
We did the option in view of future SW travels in our 21. Past 2 days have been 95-98 degrees and we're quite comfy.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #49

Quote:
I have the insulation package. Currently I am in Mt. Vernon, just north of you, and as you know it has been unusually sunny and hot for this area. It was at least 90 F here today and my trailer's A/C had no problems driving the inside temp down to the low 60s in short order, and that's with the fan on "low". It's so good, in fact, that I'm sure the A/C would cool adequately without the insulation package.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
We have the insulation and window package. I don't know how much of a difference it makes with the AC, but I assume its significant. Our AC can freeze us out when its on high for an extended period.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #51

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I too have the extra insulation and thermal window package, but the underside was not being done in 2009. (I have a runner on the floor so I don't get cold feet on night bathroom runs.) The floor does not get hot, but that's probably because of the a/c.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #52

I just returned from a day trip to Seattle. When I came inside the trailer it was 88 degrees F inside, and within 25 minutes the A/C had cooled it off to 72 degrees, with the fan on "low". Outside temperature was in the mid-80s during this period.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:49 AM   #53

Thanks everyone for your input. I have cell service again and sent ETI a follow up email as I hadn't heard back from my previous email. As soon as I hear back I will follow up on the thread.