Atwood Furnace sail switch part number - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2020, 06:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 & 2014 RAM EcoDiesel
OK so I got my new sail switch and still same problem. Fan runs for exactly 30 seconds and stops. Error is "Air Flow / Limit Fault"

Tested new switch and it is good. Voltage at battery is 12.6, tried on mains power same error. Air flow feels strong. Is there any way that past fluff (there has been a lot) could be stuck in the furnace somewhere and if so any way to "blow" is out. The opening for the sail switch is kinda awkward to say the least. To say I am getting frustrated would be an understatement.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:36 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
pull off the inside grille and try running the furnace, may be the restriction of the flex duct
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181214_142146612.jpg   IMG_20181214_142049390.jpg  
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Just an update on the sail switch that I installed a few weeks back. We completed a 2.5 week trip during which the furnace was started multiple times every day. Every furnace startup was perfect.

So, if you need a switch, particularly in Canada, I highly recommend the Suburban switch that I installed. Easily available, and it works perfectly. I also recommend having at least one spare in your kit. These switches are vulnerable to contamination by dust and debris, and have to be considered a maintenance item.

See my earlier post in this thread for details and a link to Amazon.ca.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thanks for the follow up report.........
Old 10-04-2020, 05:40 PM   #25

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
Just an update on the sail switch that I installed a few weeks back. We completed a 2.5 week trip during which the furnace was started multiple times every day. Every furnace startup was perfect.

So, if you need a switch, particularly in Canada, I highly recommend the Suburban switch that I installed. Easily available, and it works perfectly. I also recommend having at least one spare in your kit. These switches are vulnerable to contamination by dust and debris, and have to be considered a maintenance item.

See my earlier post in this thread for details and a link to Amazon.ca.
Thanks for the update. I like the looks of that switch much better, and at $12.44 US plus tax I ordered one and will now have three backups. This one will go in first though.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-04-2020, 07:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Thanks for the update. I like the looks of that switch much better, and at $12.44 US plus tax I ordered one and will now have three backups. This one will go in first though.

Enjoy,

Perry

Glad to hear that you are now supplied. The price of the Suburban switches is nice - I forgot to mention that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Thanks for the follow up report.........
You are welcome fellow escaper. Travel safe.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:56 AM   #27

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
I received the sail switches I mentioned earlier, and they work perfectly in the Dometic furnace in our 2018 E21 (Dometic DFSAD12131). They install easily, maybe even a bit easier than the original because the paddle is a hair shorter, and started the furnace perfectly three times in a row. They are more easily available than the "new" Dometic sail switch kits, especially in Canada. This is the switch on Amazon.ca. It is also available on Amazon.com, and may even be available locally at a Suburban dealer/service outfit.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We now have a new switch in the furnace, plus the functional original and a spare in our kit.

The part number on the plastic envelope the switch came in was SB233100, and the name was microswitch assembly. The bar code is 65053 87989 7.

Having a spare or two of this thing is a good idea. Once the microswitch contacts get contaminated inside the switch, which they eventually will, the switch is not repairable. Putting a new one in is about a ten minute job.
Hi, AllanEdie. I’m trying to track down the proper sail switch replacement for our Dometic Atwood furnace. We have the same model furnace as yours (Dometic DFSAD12131), and I stumbled upon your posts on the subject from a couple of years ago.

It seems you found a replacement part you were happy with at the time. Is it still working for you?

Also, I was a little confused because the part you found is for a Suburban furnace vs Dometic so I wanted to check with you to see how that panned out. I had been leaning toward the 33081 sail switch, but sounds like you might have found a better part?

Thanks in advance for your help. Your previous posts on this subject are very informative.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 04:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
Hi, AllanEdie. I’m trying to track down the proper sail switch replacement for our Dometic Atwood furnace. We have the same model furnace as yours (Dometic DFSAD12131), and I stumbled upon your posts on the subject from a couple of years ago.

It seems you found a replacement part you were happy with at the time. Is it still working for you?

Also, I was a little confused because the part you found is for a Suburban furnace vs Dometic so I wanted to check with you to see how that panned out. I had been leaning toward the 33081 sail switch, but sounds like you might have found a better part?

Thanks in advance for your help. Your previous posts on this subject are very informative.
Hi. The switch that I installed as mentioned above is still working perfectly. I would buy them again in a heartbeat, but I still have my spare. Whatever model you buy, get an extra or two.

Bottom line on these things is that they are pretty much a disposable maintenance item. The switch mechanism is simply a standard micro switch used for a million or two applications. The only difference between most or all of the different sail switch models is the paddle size, shape, and orientation. The problem with all of them for sail switch purposes is that they spend hundreds of hours in a strong flow of unfiltered air, and because the switch itself is not a sealed unit (air can get inside it), it collects dust and contamination until the switch contacts don't make contact. They also collect crud on the sail arm, but in my opinion that is not the killer. Once the contacts inside the switch body are contaminated, the switch is done, and must be replaced.

Good luck with it, once you do it once, it will be an easy and quick repair the next time.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:28 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I made this post in another thread, but it might be worth noting it here.

For those considering adding an outside "hatch" to access the sail switch on some Atwood furnaces - it won't work for the Atwood AFSAD12, Serial #72088178, Item 32838 installed in my August 2017 21. The correct sail switch is a Hydro Flame Corp 31093 Sail Switch Kit Sm

I just replaced the sail switch & control card (I had to pull the furnace & remove the outside exhaust fitting due to the "lip" problem Reace mentions). While a hatch would work for the control card, the sail switch is in the burner side of the furnace behind a screwed on large bakelite cover. Quite different from the newer furnaces...
Old 11-04-2022, 05:54 PM   #30

Trailer: 5.0 deposit in
Hi, last winter I had the same sail switch problem. After trying 2 new sail switches I still had the same problem with no contact. So I simply removed the inside flexible duct leading to the furnace. This allows more airflow to reach the switch. This has continued to let the furnace run as designed. Also in an emergency the sail switch can be forced to make contact by using a twist tie. Obviously the furnace will continue to run until the twist tie is removed
. This would only be used to keep from a very cold situation.
Patrickinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 06:39 PM   #31

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Hi. The switch that I installed as mentioned above is still working perfectly. I would buy them again in a heartbeat, but I still have my spare. Whatever model you buy, get an extra or two.
……….

Good luck with it, once you do it once, it will be an easy and quick repair the next time.
Thank you very, very much for following up with me on your two year old posts! Wow, this forum really comes through time and time again. We’re so grateful to be part of the Escape community!

I’ll be sure to get a couple of the sail switches you recommended (and hope the spare stays in the tool kit, haha). And, yes, I’ve taken our sail switch out twice now, and it’s not a hard job at all (first time I cleared debris and got it working, and this second time no debris was found so I’m just going to replace it).

I also want to thank you for the level of detail in your posts on this subject. Knowing that you have the same model furnace, and seeing the make and model number of the new sail switch is a tremendous help! It’s very much appreciated. Happy camping!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
Thank you very, very much for following up with me on your two year old posts! Wow, this forum really comes through time and time again. We’re so grateful to be part of the Escape community!

I’ll be sure to get a couple of the sail switches you recommended (and hope the spare stays in the tool kit, haha). And, yes, I’ve taken our sail switch out twice now, and it’s not a hard job at all (first time I cleared debris and got it working, and this second time no debris was found so I’m just going to replace it).

I also want to thank you for the level of detail in your posts on this subject. Knowing that you have the same model furnace, and seeing the make and model number of the new sail switch is a tremendous help! It’s very much appreciated. Happy camping!
Thanks for your kind thoughts. Being able to help out others is one of the main reasons I participate in a couple forums like this. Good luck with the switch replacement, and safe and happy travels.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:31 AM   #33

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Thanks for your kind thoughts. Being able to help out others is one of the main reasons I participate in a couple forums like this. Good luck with the switch replacement, and safe and happy travels.
Thanks for the part number. Couldn’t tell from the photo, but is the screw hole in the same place as in the original?

Also, a search on the Suburban part number on Google will reveal both the product that you cited as well as one with a beige body and what appears to be a spinnaker sized sail. I suggest avoiding that one.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 06:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Thanks for the part number. Couldn’t tell from the photo, but is the screw hole in the same place as in the original?

Also, a search on the Suburban part number on Google will reveal both the product that you cited as well as one with a beige body and what appears to be a spinnaker sized sail. I suggest avoiding that one.
I put mine in about two years ago so . As I recall, screw holes were identical. At any rate, the switch went in without modifying anything, and has not failed to operate since.

Any difference in sail size or orientation is likely a no go. Online part numbers seem to get screwed up regularly with this stuff.

When I tried to slightly bend the sail, thinking a slightly more aggressive angle might help trip the switch, the sail contacted the fan rotor. I would not accept any switch that does not look exactly like the one that comes out of the furnace. The part that I used is identical except that the sail is a hair shorter which does not affect function.