Awning & belly band alert for 2nd Gen trailers - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #101

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
There is nothing wrong with discussing problems or even potential problems. Its all in the delivery of your message. Maybe read what your posting a second time before you post it and look at how other people might take your reply.

People post problems here all the time and this group is usually always willing to help. Not picking on Laura but look at how much help has been given to her over the last year. The thing is most of her posts are asking for help with real problems. Even though some of those problems are self inflicted (sorry Laura). People are always helping her. Maybe it's because she is positive most of the time.

There is a group on here that looks for potential problems that may never happen. They also have a very negative tone to almost every post they make.

Most of us are here for the same interest. Life is short, lighten up, be nice.

Come on Pat, the selfie thing was funny.

Reminds me of the dash poem. If you have not read it before it's very good. If you have read it maybe read it again.

The Dash Poem Copyright- Learn the Facts from the Author
Old 05-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #102

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Speculating on speculation is like having one mirror behind you and one in front of you.... fun though...
Reminds me of the guy who had too much to drink, put an empty pint whiskey bottle on each back pocket and proceeded to fall down the stairs. Broke both bottles. Got home and realized what had happened. Cleaned himself up and went to bed. Did not mention the accident to his wife. Later that day she said "how's your hind end feeling? He said "fine why" she said "must be cut up pretty good, there are band aids all over the mirror."
Now that's thinking outside of the box
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #103

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Why was it taken off ? Bullies always think they do no harm . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:22 PM   #104

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
There is nothing wrong with discussing problems or even potential problems. Its all in the delivery of your message. Maybe read what your posting a second time before you post it and look at how other people might take your reply.

People post problems here all the time and this group is usually always willing to help. Not picking on Laura but look at how much help has been given to her over the last year. The thing is most of her posts are asking for help with real problems. Even though some of those problems are self inflicted (sorry Laura). People are always helping her. Maybe it's because she is positive most of the time.

There is a group on here that looks for potential problems that may never happen. They also have a very negative tone to almost every post they make.

Most of us are here for the same interest. Life is short, lighten up, be nice.

Reminds me of the dash poem. If you have not read it before it's very good. If you have read it maybe read it again.

The Dash Poem Copyright- Learn the Facts from the Author
Nice read, Tom. Thanks.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #105

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Nice read, Tom. Thanks.
Agreed. Love the poem Tom, have it bookmarked .
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #106

Trailer: Escape
[QUOTE=Kountrykamper;196830]There is nothing wrong with discussing problems or even potential problems.

No, KK, it wasn't funny, it was mean. And because it was mean you thought it funny. Yuk, yuk, yuk.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #107

[QUOTE=Viajante;196871]
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with discussing problems or even potential problems.

No, KK, it wasn't funny, it was mean. And because it was mean you thought it funny. Yuk, yuk, yuk.
Like I said, lighten up. If you have been around Glenn for any time you would get his sense of humor and understand how it was meant. And obviously you don't know me.

Life is short, enjoy every day! The best part is we get to start over again tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #108

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Yeah, everything is fine and dandy as long as we see it the way you and a few others here do. Otherwise, go somewhere else. Have heard it before- reminds me of the folks in Berkley of late who when not liking what someone has to say just shouts them down and worse.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #109

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Kinda forgetting your own advice posted above, because you want to cover for ur buddy. Understandable, but you have to remember that more people read these comments who never join the forum and most everyone that reads these posts is never going to know Glenn. This is a great example of your advice you posted, which I agree with. He should have thought about his reply a second time before posting.

Only advice I have is that everyone, myself included, needs to go camping move forward...
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #110

No just don't assume that because I said something was funny was because it was mean. That in itself is a mean statement. I did try to lighten things up a little.

Sorry for the attempt.

And trust me, Glenn is not my buddy. Oh is that mean? Sorry but I don't even know the dude.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #111

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
And trust me, Glenn is not my buddy. Oh is that mean? Sorry but I don't even know the dude.
But, at least, you spell my name correctly, with two 'n's.

The second 'n' is silent.
Ooops, sorry, joke.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:25 AM   #112

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I think posting about problems is useful and discussing them and ideas to fix them is useful. I have gotten a great deal of assistance from this forum. I think some people glob on to problems with a trailer or a new build and speculate on all the bad things that can happen. If you buy a new build /model of trailer or car you take a risk some issues might not be thought out completely yet and need to be fixed. I'm buying the new 5.0 and there might be issues that need to be fixed but I trust the company and I'm sure they will make it right. Talking about the issue is fine and helpful- I will be really focused on this awning thing and I am thankful the issue was shared.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #113

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Since 2 of us that have looked at the awning have found loose Collet Clamp Screws, others may want to spot check them. 140 in-lb of torque.
Yep, this is the screw thingie that was loose on ours. In fact, it was quite loose. As in, really hanging down. We never noticed it, but then again the awning had never been deployed as the weather was crappy and there wasn't room to do so beforehand. Had some friends over, trailer was parked where it could be fully deployed. A good eye (not mine!) saw it and commented on it. Tape shoved up over it right away as Dirk wasn't able to get it tight.

Now I know why - he didn't have 140# of torque going with just his wrist and screwdriver.

I've been able to deploy the awning several times since Reace adjusted it and I'm now in the habit of stopping it just before it reaches the white ramp thingies (okay, guides) to double check it.

And learned that you don't want to stand just at the edge of the awning when it's going back in. Especially if there's been rain recently.

Nope, didn't get wet, but it was a near thing.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:15 AM   #114

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
But, at least, you spell my name correctly, with two 'n's.
The second 'n' is silent. Ooops, sorry, joke.
I thought the first 'n' was the silent one, like in gnome. Wait, that's a silent 'g'! Names can be so complicated....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #115

Trailer: 17
Collet Clamp Screws photo on post #58 for anyone else searching like me for it.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #116

Trailer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
....... There will be an email sent from ETI regarding this at some point soon (according to Nigel). I guess there were some problems with some of the rivets used and there's a possibility of a leak happening somewhere down the road. I don't remember exactly what Nigel said, but maybe something about bad rivets.
......:
Anyone know if an announcement oe email was sent out? I looked in the escape news forum here and http://escapetrailer.com/news/ with no luck, thanks.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #117

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Anyone know if an announcement oe email was sent out? I looked in the escape news forum here and News with no luck, thanks.
probably just a rumor, otherwise it would be on their website and you would have received something in the mail.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #118

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
probably just a rumor, otherwise it would be on their website and you would have received something in the mail.

There was a thread about this last year. Had a bunch of us pushing paperclips and Allen wrenches in the rivet holes and listening for thunks.
I had a couple that did not thunk and seem to get stuck so I broke out the tube of proflex and did the "little dab'll do ya" routine to each rivet in the belly band. Figured that way if one ever were to leak I just solved it. Changed the color of the belly band at the same time.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:28 PM   #119

Trailer: None now
And here is the thread, I jumped in where the original trailer that caused a few of us to test the rivets posted. Odds are theirs was the only one that had the issue but as a firm believer in over doing everything I went ahead and did a rivet mod.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post206360
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #120

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Okay, for the alerts:

On the work order they wrote down "belly band" and I found out later what all that meant. There will be an email sent from ETI regarding this at some point soon (according to Nigel). I guess there were some problems with some of the rivets used and there's a possibility of a leak happening somewhere down the road. I don't remember exactly what Nigel said, but maybe something about bad rivets.

Anyway, they pulled the belly band and then tapped a thin metal thingie into each rivet to see if it was fine. All of mine were. Yay! The email will probably give far more detail than I just did. And won't use the word "thingie".
I wanted to replace the vinyl in my belly band and while I had the vinyl off, I remembered your post so I checked them. I had 11 rivets that the "head" was not in the rivet. See pic - the "head" is that part that stays in the rivet when the post breaks off - it is supposed to seal the rivet (sortof). I could poke a small allen wrench into the hole in the center of the rivet and it went into the trailer. That would be where the leaks come from.

I took my caulk gun with proflex and filled all the rivets with missing heads and for good measure, gave all the rest of the rivets a cap of proflex to just make sure.

Thanks for the heads up about the rivets!
Attached Thumbnails
pop rivet.jpg