Awning Deflapper - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #11

Donna D.

If Escape is still using Carefree Awnings. These attach directly to the awing arm, and seem to work just fine.

Amazon.com: Carefree (902801W) White Canopy Clamp, (Pack of 2): Automotive

2012 Nissan Frontier
jlgrillot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgrillot View Post
Donna D.

If Escape is still using Carefree Awnings. These attach directly to the awing arm, and seem to work just fine.

Amazon.com: Carefree (902801W) White Canopy Clamp, (Pack of 2): Automotive
The nice thing about these is they are designed for the awnings we have on Escapes. Also, they attach permanently to the awning arms so you are not looking for them.

techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thank you ALL for your comments and replys. All are valuable.

What most don't realize is the edge of awnings stretch in the wind. The idea of an awning deflapper is to contain that stretch. I've seen awning edges that are kinda "scalloped" after a number of uses in wind.

This won't be a major concern, because the Escape awning is a roller-shade type. The awning on my current trailer must fit inside a case. I've seen where folks can't fit the awning inside the case due to stretch.

However, the awning on my soon-to-be 5er is seveal feet larger than the one on my Scamp... and more $$ to replace the awning fabric! I am willing to spend money ahead of time to prevent damage...

THANKS everyone for your help. It's very much appreciated, truly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I bought the carefree version. When I tried to install it I found the locking lever covers the holes in the front rail. That is on the 5.0. YMMV.

Dick
Old 01-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
I have and sell the de-flapper at Fiberglass Travel Trailers RV. I always bring parts with me to our NOG's in the PNW.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
I bought the carefree version. When I tried to install it I found the locking lever covers the holes in the front rail. That is on the 5.0. YMMV.

Dick
Dog gone it!! I bought them too and now that I checked since Dick's post, I find that the locking levers cover the bottom hole on the 15B also! Who installed the locking levers? I find it hard to believe that Carefree would have done that. Did Escape install the locking levers and cover up the holes for the accessory? One inch lower and we would have been ok or 5 inches higher. I will still be able to mount mine, but will have to drill a new hole and thread it for the knurled knob. Shoot! Don't know how I missed that.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Wind is of great concern to me. We had serious gusts here yesterday --bad enough to get me running out to buy rebar and braided cable and turnbuckles. My lightweight backyard canopy seemed in eminent danger of blowing away.

I was able to anchor it down more better than it was, that seemed to save the day. The issue, however, is... just how windy was it? This need to know has got me looking at buying a wind gauge. Anyone have one they can report on? I see on eBay some hand-held models in the fifteen to twenty-bucks range, and of course, there is the seventy to two-hundred dollar ones, which I doubt I would break wind over.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Wind is of great concern to me. We had serious gusts here yesterday --bad enough to get me running out to buy rebar and braided cable and turnbuckles. My lightweight backyard canopy seemed in eminent danger of blowing away.

I was able to anchor it down more better than it was, that seemed to save the day. The issue, however, is... just how windy was it? This need to know has got me looking at buying a wind gauge. Anyone have one they can report on? I see on eBay some hand-held models in the fifteen to twenty-bucks range, and of course, there is the seventy to two-hundred dollar ones, which I doubt I would break wind over.
The news last night said there had been gusts up to 48mph in Edgewood. Our wind gauge broke down years ago but we've had up to 60mph here at our house. Any awning or canopy in our area must REALLY be secured.....
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Anyone have one they can report on?

I've got one like this, at least this is the closest I could find (indoor/outdoor temp and humidity). Seems they changed the styles of them at some point since I bought it. Found the wind gauge wears out after a few years but they sell replacement parts. Works well if you want to spend the $. The wind gauge is only as accurate as the sampling rate, more often is better.

AcuRite Pro Digital Weather Station with Forecast / Temperature / Humidity / Wind / Rain 01506
Old 01-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
The Carefree website has a note for their deflapper: 'Does not work on curved arm applications' so I guess we'll get the standard ones. Make sure you have them if you're ever in Wyoming!

Kathie

PS Cool weather station Bob - thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wyoming_windsock_acer.jpg (26.9 KB, 26 views)

Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote