broken frame and sorta peeved! - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #81

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
I am not sure where that information came from but we have never used T1 steel for the chassis. I am not sure that tubing is even available in T1.

The chassis are all manufactured using certified structural steel and there is nothing special regarding welding to it.

Reace
Thanks Reace!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #82

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
So the T1 rumor turned out to be a factoid. Just looked up the definition the other day; something repeated so often that it is accepted as fact.

Good reason to go to the source for facts.

Thanks for clarifying that, I haven't welded anything on my frame but it's good to know if I want to add something.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #83

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
And that is why it only took my welder a cursory look and tap and he knew what he was welding to when he started. Yes, some people are that good. And they get that good by being serious, conscientious and educated.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #84

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
Is that an extra plate welded on to reinforce the inside of the A-frame joint?
I only see a reinforcing plate on the inside of the joint. This is the original design of the mitred joint and has served apparently without any problems on all of the trailers with 4" tall frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
If so, any weakness introduced by the bolt holes should be covered.
The reinforcing plates (on the inside of all mitred joints, plus retrofitted on the outside of the joint to 3" frames) are for the joint. The cracks in Steve's (and Richard's) trailers are further back, beyond these plates... and only in 3" frames, unlike the 4" frame of the 21'.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #85

Quote:
I am not sure where that information came from but we have never used T1 steel for the chassis. I am not sure that tubing is even available in T1.

The chassis are all manufactured using certified structural steel and there is nothing special regarding welding to it.

Reace
It came from earlier discussion of the earlier frame failure provided by a forum member. It was not corrected, and it made sense... we were and still are seeing what appear to be brittle failures of the frame tubing.

Thanks for the correction, Reace.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:45 PM   #86

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Just because it hasnt been reported on this forum doesnt mean others havent had problems. Heard of a 19 owner in Texas who had the A-frame separate under tow and only the chains kept it attached.
Yeah, not every owner comes to this forum. And if they do, not all the time. Which needs to be remembered more often.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #87

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I thought I'd better take a look at my 21' for any frame problems after following this thread.

Most of the frame looks good with support tabs welded on the frame rail sides with one glaring exception. The front stabilizers are bolted to the frame using holes drilled into the bottom of the frame rail.

This weakens the frame right at a stress point and I will be keeping an eye on it for any cracking.
That is not a bolt, but is a self tapping metal screw. The hole it creates is no where near the size of the larger thru the frame bolts, in fact it only goes thru one side of the frame. If you remove it you will see the difference.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #88

Steve (flatpick) - Please check your PM inbox; I sent you a couple of PMs with additional information (because you don't have e-mail available).
Old 04-03-2018, 01:56 PM   #89

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is not a bolt, but is a self tapping metal screw. The hole it creates is no where near the size of the larger thru the frame bolts, in fact it only goes thru one side of the frame. If you remove it you will see the difference.
Yep, knew it was a self tapping screw but it's still in a bad place to make a penetration. A tab welded to the side of the frame member would have been better - also, it would have moved the jack connection out a little. I'm not getting younger and that bendover to find the jack socket is getting harder each day.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:32 PM   #90

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Most of the frame looks good with support tabs welded on the frame rail sides with one glaring exception. The front stabilizers are bolted to the frame using holes drilled into the bottom of the frame rail. This weakens the frame right at a stress point and I will be keeping an eye on it for any cracking.
Quote:
A tab welded to the side of the frame member would have been better - also, it would have moved the jack connection out a little. I'm not getting younger and that bendover to find the jack socket is getting harder each day.
Tom: ETI is installing the jacks as BAL instructs with it aligned right under the main frame member. Option for self-tapping screws or welding. I know this isn’t supposed to be done, but I see there being a potential to bend a tab if the jacks were installed this way and are cranked hard to the point that the jack is taking significant weight. They are rated for 4,000-5,000#...and you know how people are. On the bright side you can easily remove one if you have a problem. Those of us with weld on will have a much harder time.

Also just brainstorming but with regards to reaching the jack socket maybe it is possible to weld on extension pieces of 3/4” Hex bar to the existing hex piece at the length you want?
http://www.grainger.com/product/GRAI...ex-Stock-4YNG4

Or get real fancy and add the BAL 12V PowerPak units. Even if you use them manually it does move the socket out a few inches but it may be harder to raise/lower if you are fighting the gearing. But if you had them why would you do it manually?!
http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/af...og/Add-Ons.pdf
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #91

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Tom: ETI is installing the jacks as BAL instructs with it aligned right under the main frame member. Option for self-tapping screws or welding. I know this isn’t supposed to be done, but I see there being a potential to bend a tab if the jacks were installed this way and are cranked hard to the point that the jack is taking significant weight. They are rated for 4,000-5,000#...and you know how people are. On the bright side you can easily remove one if you have a problem. Those of us with weld on will have a much harder time.

Also just brainstorming but with regards to reaching the jack socket maybe it is possible to weld on extension pieces of 3/4” Hex bar to the existing hex piece at the length you want?
http://www.grainger.com/product/GRAI...ex-Stock-4YNG4

Or get real fancy and add the BAL 12V PowerPak units. Even if you use them manually it does move the socket out a few inches but it may be harder to raise/lower if you are fighting the gearing. But if you had them why would you do it manually?!
http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/af...og/Add-Ons.pdf
Thanks, I didn't know that was the recommended way to install the jacks. I was trying to come up with ways to eliminate holes in the frame rail.

Steve's broken frame is something I never expected to see and has me second guessing other scenarios that might happen. The likelihood is small that this will happen to a 21 but I will probably keep looking under my trailer for a while anyway. I'm really interested in what Rease comes up with as a resolution.

Oh, I already use a battery power drill with a socket and extension to run up/down the Bal stabilizers. Losing a few pounds would probably help on the bending over to line up the socket.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:10 AM   #92

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Let us old geezers know how u loose those few pounds so we can too my issue is that I have a serious illness it’s called seefoodandeatit
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #93

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, a lot of people I know are on the same seefood diet.....
Old 04-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #94
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Quote:

Reace
I stand corrected...the information on the website states that the frames were manufactured with T1 steel. I have corrected this information and apologize for the misunderstanding.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #95

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Reace, does that apply to all versions and all models, or just the 19 version being discussed here?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #96

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
P4071465.jpg
P4071466.jpg
P4071470.jpg

Hurray, we got our trailer all healed up! We had to take it 25 miles back to Barstow CA from Newberry Springs, all while limping along at 35mph with a cracked, separated frame. No telling how long we drove that way before we discovered it.
The welding shop, Sentry Welding, did a stellar job, tho not exactly what Rease asked for. They had a 200,000 lb (I think) hydraulic press and Chuck (owner) was able to bend a sleeve that fit perfectly over the fractures. He then doubled and tripled the steel around the A frame. He also welded heavy duty gussets over the joints. I really don't think it's ever going to be a problem again. ETI picked up the repair bill and we are back on the road again. Chuck met us at 0830 and finished at 1800. A FULL day and a GREAT job! We hooked him up with a nice tip to boot! well worth it to have it fixed right!

btw- obviously he had to remove the jacks and re-install.

steve
Attached Thumbnails
P4071465.jpg   P4071466.jpg   P4071470.jpg  
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #97

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Looks like a really good belt and braces repair. Don't think that you'll ever have a problem with it again.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:55 PM   #98

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
P4071465.jpg
P4071466.jpg
P4071470.jpg

Hurray, we got our trailer all healed up! We had to take it 25 miles back to Barstow CA from Newberry Springs, all while limping along at 35mph with a cracked, separated frame. No telling how long we drove that way before we discovered it.
The welding shop, Sentry Welding, did a stellar job, tho not exactly what Rease asked for. They had a 200,000 lb (I think) hydraulic press and Chuck (owner) was able to bend a sleeve that fit perfectly over the fractures. He then doubled and tripled the steel around the A frame. He also welded heavy duty gussets over the joints. I really don't think it's ever going to be a problem again. ETI picked up the repair bill and we are back on the road again. Chuck met us at 0830 and finished at 1800. A FULL day and a GREAT job! We hooked him up with a nice tip to boot! well worth it to have it fixed right!

steve
Glad you are back on the road. With work that good I would have considered having both sides done.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:28 AM   #99

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
P4071465.jpg
P4071466.jpg
P4071470.jpg

steve
Looks like nice work ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:01 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
With work that good I would have considered having both sides done.
Surely both sides were done (with photos of just one side because both look the same), because both sides were broken... right?