Buying a Ford F-150 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2018, 01:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Buying a Ford F-150

Well I can't swear on the forum and you can't hear me yelling but trying to decide what options to order on a F-150 is making me crazy.

I could live with the most basic truck without any bells and whistles. To me, a truck is something that I throw stuff in the back and generally don't expect it to be car like in anyway. But I do want the 2.7 and the 10 speed. OK, no problem adding that.

But my wife loves the idea of the memory power seats. She thinks that'll make it easier to pry my out of the driver's seat so she can share the driving. Whoa, now we're getting into bells and whistles and have gone from base to a Lariet. I'm pretty much resigned to that's where we're at.

But so many packages and options, my head is spinning.

So, we seem have lot's of members with F-150's. The first issue is the mirror options. I'm leaning towards believing that with my Classic 19 I don't really need the extending mirrors. Anyone with Classic and non-extending mirrors have a comment?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
No comment on the mirrors, but if you are ordering it, don't count on the "30 day" delivery. Day 48, and the rumor is the truck is in Ohio...
Old 07-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have the manual extending mirrors, all the way in works just fine for the 5.0TA, I would think the regular mirrors would work for the 19, unless you want to change to the 21 or 5.0TA someday.

As your bride has already said she want the memory seats, debate on that is a moot point.

If one has the extra $, get the decked out more comfortable truck, your worth it aren't you?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
My new Escape is the same width as my stick trailer we went across Canada with and I had/have no problems with the normal mirrors on either trailer with my 2017 f150.
One option I really like is the opening rear window. Countless times on this truck and my last ecoboost I opened the rear window to carry very long lumber...if you need to use it like a truck.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
I have a Lariat, 2.7, 4wd, crew cab, 5.5' bed with regular mirrors. I tow a 21' without any problems. I haven't found any reason to pay $500-$600 for tow mirrors.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well I can't swear on the forum and you can't hear me yelling but trying to decide what options to order on a F-150 is making me crazy.

I could live with the most basic truck without any bells and whistles. To me, a truck is something that I throw stuff in the back and generally don't expect it to be car like in anyway. But I do want the 2.7 and the 10 speed. OK, no problem adding that.

But my wife loves the idea of the memory power seats. She thinks that'll make it easier to pry my out of the driver's seat so she can share the driving. Whoa, now we're getting into bells and whistles and have gone from base to a Lariet. I'm pretty much resigned to that's where we're at.

So, we seem have lot's of members with F-150's. The first issue is the mirror options. I'm leaning towards believing that with my Classic 19 I don't really need the extending mirrors. Anyone with Classic and non-extending mirrors have a comment?

Ron
Hi Ron , don't know if this helps but with our 19 and full size f-250 with a 8 ft bed , don't need mirror extensions . Also don't need a sway or any weight hitches . We do have air bags on truck from the camper days though . Filled 5-10 lbs . Our trailers are only 7 ft and the truck I think is 6 ft about in widths . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:

Ron

Ron, we had a Ram with their fold out mirrors, and they were a PITA, big blind spots, too small. Then, we went to the F150 with extra payload/towing packages which included the manual tow mirrors. Best rear view I have ever had. Top 2/3 is a bog flat mirror and the bottom is curved mirror, same on drivers and passengers side. Real easy to see vehicles coming up on the right side few if any blind spots. I am able to see the trailer tires in both mirrors. Good value for money. I have yet to extend them.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:58 PM   #8

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Ron, we had a Ram with their fold out mirrors, and they were a PITA, big blind spots, too small. Then, we went to the F150 with extra payload/towing packages which included the manual tow mirrors. Best rear view I have ever had. Top 2/3 is a bog flat mirror and the bottom is curved mirror, same on drivers and passengers side. Real easy to see vehicles coming up on the right side few if any blind spots. I am able to see the trailer tires in both mirrors. Good value for money. I have yet to extend them.

Chris, checked out your blog and the beautiful modifications you've made to your trailer! Maybe ETI could hire you as interior designer?
Old 07-16-2018, 04:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
There are a lot of features on my truck that I don’t absolutely need but I sure like and would miss if they were gone . My Ram truck rides better than my wife’s car and since we travel long distances with the truck and go on short shopping trips with her car it kinda makes sense . Ford makes a great truck so I don’t think you can make a bad choice.

I agree with your wife the memory seats and mirrors are really nice !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
No comment on the mirrors, but if you are ordering it, don't count on the "30 day" delivery. Day 48, and the rumor is the truck is in Ohio...

We are expecting that if we custom order that there'll be about a 3 month wait and the truck will come from either Dearborn or Kansas City. That's partly caused because we want a Supercab 4 x 2 and despite huge inventories of Crewcabs and 4 x 4's there's not much available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I have the manual extending mirrors, all the way in works just fine for the 5.0TA, I would think the regular mirrors would work for the 19, unless you want to change to the 21 or 5.0TA someday.

As your bride has already said she want the memory seats, debate on that is a moot point.

If one has the extra $, get the decked out more comfortable truck, your worth it aren't you?
Absolutely, if she wants memory seats, she gets them.
Goodbye base truck.

Even the color, "Lightening Blue" which she likes much better than "Denim Blue".
OK, I have trouble with that one. I mean really, $1900 more. But I guess Lightening Blue it is.

I guess it's back to the dealer, my very favorite place to hang out, and ask more question to sort out all the options and groups. One problem is that some sales folks don't really know the ins and outs of the different packages. My old Ranger is looking better and better.

Ron
Old 07-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I bought off the lot at year end with substantial savings, nearly $20k off list. The next year models were coming out in less than a month. I lucked out and found a Lariat here in Calgary and got every option I wanted, other than the tailgate step (though installed and aftermarket one that works great). I also got a few more options than I wanted, but for the price didn't complain. Only 3 more months until the 2009s come out, and this years stock will be discounted.

Personally, I would never buy a pickup without trailering mirrors. It is far more than the extra width they extend to, and if fact I mostly use them only on the highway or when manoeuvring in a rearward direction. You would not need them to extend with the 19, but when you get a 21 you might find this feature nice in lots of situations. The field of veiw is fantastic. As mentioned above not only do you have a large field of view in the top part, the bottom convex is one that is very usable. I drove an F-150 without them a while back, and really did not like the view the car style mirrors give.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21'
I have a 2.7, 4wd, crew cab, 5.5' bed with regular mirrors. I tow a 21' without any problems and am glad I didn't get the bigger mirrors. FWIW.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #13
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Once you try them, you will never go back! with or with out the trailer.
Tin.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I bought off the lot at year end with substantial savings, nearly $20k off list. The next year models were coming out in less than a month. I lucked out and found a Lariat here in Calgary and got every option I wanted, other than the tailgate step (though installed and aftermarket one that works great). I also got a few more options than I wanted, but for the price didn't complain. Only 3 more months until the 2009s come out, and this years stock will be discounted.

Personally, I would never buy a pickup without trailering mirrors. It is far more than the extra width they extend to, and if fact I mostly use them only on the highway or when manoeuvring in a rearward direction. You would not need them to extend with the 19, but when you get a 21 you might find this feature nice in lots of situations. The field of veiw is fantastic. As mentioned above not only do you have a large field of view in the top part, the bottom convex is one that is very usable. I drove an F-150 without them a while back, and really did not like the view the car style mirrors give.

What month did you buy in, Jim?
Old 07-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #15

Quote:
, but when you get a 21 you might find this feature nice in lots of situations. .
Oh, when did ETI announce that they were coming out with the 19 layout in a 21?

Ron
Old 07-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Once you try them, you will never go back! with or with out the trailer.
Tin.
This is where the true testament is. You actually have to try both, and like you I would not go back, with or without towing.

Besides, they make it look more like a real truck instead of a play toy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
What month did you buy in, Jim?
I believe it was October. A call to a local dealership would confirm.
Quote:
Oh, when did ETI announce that they were coming out with the 19 layout in a 21?

Ron
I seriously think that would be a huge seller for them. I would have probably gone with that instead of the 5.0TA.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #17

Quote:
This is where the true testament is.

I believe it was October. A call to a local dealership would confirm.

I seriously think that would be a huge seller for them. I would have probably gone with that instead of the 5.0TA.
Thanks, Jim.

Yes, I've never been a fan of the "corner bed" in a RV, especially one right next to the entry door!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'm the wrong person to ask Ron, cuz I'll cost you money. I love my Lariat with the power telescoping and power folding trailer tow mirrors, pro trailer backup assist, power everything and leather. I used to have trucks. Now I have a luxury vehicle that happens to have a truck bed.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm the wrong person to ask Ron, cuz I'll cost you money. I love my Lariat with the power telescoping and power folding trailer tow mirrors, pro trailer backup assist, power everything and leather. I used to have trucks. Now I have a luxury vehicle that happens to have a truck bed.
And I bet it was all so you could give Yolanda a comfy ride, eh?
Old 07-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
And I bet it was all so you could give Yolanda a comfy ride, eh?
My entire motivation is selflessness.