Door hinge pin fell out and a solution - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2018, 05:21 PM   #61

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I just had the door almost fall off as one of the hinge pins came out and the other was halfway out. Yes, they were inserted from the bottom rather than the top. I checked Western Hardware's web site, and it says "Quantity very limited. Will not restock." So I ordered a pair of hinges and they shipped so they still have some.

I re-inserted the one pin remaining from the top and put a 5/16 bolt in the other. I am glad this happened while I was home rather than on the road.

If you have a trailer with the pins mounted upside down, like mine, CHECK them now, don't wait until the pins fall out! And put a 5/16 bolt in your tool kit so you have it if needed.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #62

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I checked Western Hardware's web site, and it says "Quantity very limited. Will not restock." So I ordered a pair of hinges and they shipped so they still have some.
When I ordered a pair a few months ago I questioned the sales guy at Western Hardware. He did confirm that they will not be getting any more of these hinges, but admitted at that time there were still “a few hundred” left.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #63

Trailer: Escape 21NE
A question: has ETI looked into this? Will they use the stainless version, or at least the right handed ones going forward? From the number of people experiencing the issue, seems they'd want to make a change. Those hinges see a lot of use.

I changed my Burro hinges to the SS ones a few years ago - the previous ones were also SS but were over 30 years old...so they do last.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #64

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
A question: has ETI looked into this? Will they use the stainless version, or at least the right handed ones going forward?

They changed the entire door and the hole it fits in.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
A question: has ETI looked into this? Will they use the stainless version, or at least the right handed ones going forward?
I called and left a message last Wednesday for Parts at ETI and am still waiting for a call back.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #66

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Very true, since the hinge screws are exposed. The alternative is to dab a little solder or epoxy into the screw head holes. But, you're committed then. No easy way to remove the door if needed.
I ended up using these:

https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-De...?product=20523

https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-De...?product=20524

They use Torx bits, but these have a small pin in the middle of the star opening so you really need the special "star pin-in" bit, which most bad guys likely wouldn't happen to carry with them. Could still drill through the screw head, but at least they'll have to work for it. Just order a few extra bits and keep them accessible in the tow vehicle just in case...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1576.jpg  
Old 06-27-2018, 02:55 PM   #67

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Those are Called security Torix screws one can get a set of torix security bits at harbor freight, northern tools or at Ace hardware
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I called and left a message last Wednesday for Parts at ETI and am still waiting for a call back.
I got a call back today from Reace. He said he had tried to call back earlier and left a message but he suspected he got the wrong number. I appreciate his follow-up. He was not aware of this thread and the replacement stainless steel hinges, which he said were probably better than the chrome hinges. He was ready to send me a replacement but I told him I had put on the replacements so there was no need. If anyone else has a problem and doesn't /can't order replacements, I suggest you call ETI for an alternate solution.