Drymesh or hypervent under matress - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #121

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've never forgiven UPS for sending me a bill for $50 brokerage. I always ask which shipper is being used, and if it's UPS, they lose the sale.
Any suggestions for shipping fabric from the US to ETI? My first thought was UPS but maybe they aren't the best option.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #122

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
USPS works for me. Goes via US Post and then Canada Post.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #123

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Wrinkly cushions!

Here's what the cushions look like after installing the hypervent. I'm going to try really hard to not let it bug me. Too much! Plus, I figure by the time I get the pillow covers sewn and they're tossed on there, I won't notice 'em.

Anyway, if getting the hypervent and the filler cushions, I'd suggest you get them 1/2 to 3/4" shorter (in length) than normal. I've not actually put both in, so I'm not sure if they would need to be a bit shorter in depth - just thought of that now. Will check it later and if it needs to be shorter, I'll post about it.

I did forget to measure the back cushion, but it probably could be shorten about the same amount and you wouldn't have all these wrinkles, or at least as many.

First photo shows how the filler board cushion curves up when it's in place. When you sit on it, it's fine. Second shows ya how it's a tad bit too long. Next two photos show you the oh-my-gawd wrinkles.

The last two photos show you how thick the hypervent mesh is from viewing both behind and underneath the cushions.

And for those wondering about the sticker on the window - here's what I got. I also put one on the kitchen window. Kind of hard to see through the tinted windows and it's coming off a bit on the dinette window - probably cuz it's cold outside.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PS - note the black screw covers I replaced the fuggly tan ones with.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04932.jpg   DSC04933.jpg   DSC04934.jpg   DSC04935.jpg   DSC04937.jpg  

DSC04938.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:03 PM   #124

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Here's what the cushions look like after installing the hypervent. I'm going to try really hard to not let it bug me.
You might try taking a strip of your extra sunbrella and sewing or gluing a border on the hypervent. That would help on the rough edges and also help hide them.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:07 PM   #125

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You know you really only need that hyper mesh if you camp in the winter, so for 8 months it is not needed and can be put away.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #126

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
Any suggestions for shipping fabric from the US to ETI? My first thought was UPS but maybe they aren't the best option.
I purchased my fabric from a Canadian company.

Outdoor Fabrics Canada Inc. - - Sunbrella Outdoor Fabric Distributor

The reason I did that was to avoid the "customs" hassle and unknown charges that might be assessed. I paid $39 (CAD) shipping direct to ETI. I would advise you to check it out and you can decide for yourself if it works for you.

Had no issues. the fabric was shipped and received by ETI. They sell the same Sunbrella Fabric that you would get from Sailrite.
Mike & Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:14 PM   #127

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
I am flying mine out with me next week.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #128

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You know you really only need that hyper mesh if you camp in the winter, so for 8 months it is not needed and can be put away.
Yeah, but a lot of the times it'll be used on the West Coast where it does rain a lot, even during those so called warmer months.

But thanks for that comment.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
You might try taking a strip of your extra sunbrella and sewing or gluing a border on the hypervent. That would help on the rough edges and also help hide them.
Good idea, thanks!

A project for later on.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #130
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Yeah, but a lot of the times it'll be used on the West Coast where it does rain a lot, even during those so called warmer months.

But thanks for that comment.
The rain really isn't the problem. It's the temperature difference. That's what causes the condensation. If the temperature is moderate, you won't have condensation problems, even over extended periods of rain. The areas susceptible to moisture from the condensation are mostly near the outer wall, and then it's only really an issue if the inside temperature is much warmer than the outside.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:34 PM   #131

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
For what it is worth, we found that we didn't need hyper vent under the seat cushions -- we didn't get condensation there, only on the walls below the window and the backs of the cushions that were under the windows. we also put it along the sides of the mattress that butt up against the outside walls, and underneath the mattress ending about 6" from the bottom of the mattress. That has worked well to prevent condensation in our classic 21, even when the temperature outside the trailer was down to the low 20s (F) and we were keeping the inside toasty warm, and cooking spaghetti inside. As Robert points out, condensation is mostly due to the temperature differential on the walls of the trailer.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
For what it is worth, we found that we didn't need hyper vent under the seat cushions -- we didn't get condensation there, only on the walls below the window and the backs of the cushions that were under the windows.
I figured it was overkill, but I'd much rather have too much than not enough. Of course, if they got moldy I could get NEW cushions with a full fabric wrap, like I thought I had ordered.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:17 PM   #133

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglasrud View Post
A few months ago someone posted that they had ordered Drymesh or Hypervent online ( I can't remember which one) for under matress condensation control. Drymesh looks like the best deal, so I've been trying to contact them by phone with no luck. According to their website they will send directly to my address in Canada with a shipping charge, but I don't see any sales tax added to the shipping for B.C. What I'm wondering is if there could be a brokerage fee and B.C. sales tax added on to their shipping charge. I've been caught with this before when ordering from the U.S. and the brokerage fee can be quite high. Has anyone had experience with this company? Thanks.
Have used Hypervent in two cabins on our powerboat for the last five years. Have no experience with Dry mesh but I can tell you that the Hypervent has performed flawlessly in a challenging and moisture laden saltwater marine environment.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #134

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Outlets in picture

Quote:
First photo shows how the filler board cushion curves up when it's in place. When you sit on it, it's fine.
On a slightly different subject, in your first picture you have various outlets under your dinette. We are working on what outlets we want and where. Could you please tell me what each item is that can be seen under the dinette and if it is an outlet, why you are installing one there?
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #135

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Having worked with both DryMesh & Hypervent, I far prefer DryMesh. It is softer, causes less scratching, is easier to cut, and a bit thinner. Both products work. I have not be able to find a source that will sell DryMesh to the US. If anyone finds one, please post so others (including me) can use it. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:04 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
On a slightly different subject, in your first picture you have various outlets under your dinette. We are working on what outlets we want and where. Could you please tell me what each item is that can be seen under the dinette and if it is an outlet, why you are installing one there?
There's a regular outlet in the front right and the back left. One was standard (I think the right one) and I added on the left one. Figured I didn't want laptop cords crossing over the dinette as I knew someone (like ME!) would trip over 'em.

The one on the left front is for the inverter. Not exactly sure when that one will be used - I'll be asking the electrical guru when he's more recovered from his cruise and long flights (aka Dirk).

I don't know what's next to the inverter outlet - but I'm sure someone else does! I was waiting for Dirk to get home to go over all that stuff so both of us would know at the same time.

The other thingie on the right shows how much power you're drawing. Dirk was intently looking at that the other night. I look at it and think "yeah, whatever".

The panel on the back has your fuses and such, I believe. I just know the stupid door always comes down when I make the slightest movement back there, so right now there's a piece of packing tape on it. And hopefully this Sunday Dirk will screw on these flipper thingies to keep it in place. Boy - try explaining that to the hardware people! Lowe's couldn't figure out what I meant, but the guy at the much smaller, neighborhood hardware store did. Jeez. Used for screen doors, I guess.

Yeah, you're not going to get technical terms from me, that's for sure.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Having worked with both DryMesh & Hypervent, I far prefer DryMesh. It is softer, causes less scratching, is easier to cut, and a bit thinner. Both products work. I have not been able to find a source that will sell DryMesh to the US. If anyone finds one, please post so others (including me) can use it. Thanks in advance.
You know Jon, you keep asking about a US source and nobody has an answer for ya. I think YOU just need to become the US source!

And seriously, I once did this years ago. I've been involved in this horse figurine hobby for about a bazillion years and there was one company from England that everyone liked, but didn't know where to find their models. I contacted the British Embassy in Seattle (pre-google days), they gave me contact info and I eventually became their biggest US dealer.

So, yeah, become the US dealer. I would have been all over that product (drymesh) in a heartbeat!
Old 12-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #138
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
As far as ventilation and weather, whether hot or cold.. yeah you do want to use something. During hot weather, your body sweats... even if you aren't aware. The mattress and cushions will absorb that moisture if not ventilated. I read where a bed mattress in your sticks 'n bricks gains weight due to moisture and dust mites, you want to keep that at a minimum in your trailer, right? I know the IKEA mattress I bought for Ten Forward says it must be ventilated.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:08 PM   #139

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
How much interest is there in the DryMesh product? My husband and I own and operate several e-commerce websites so we have import and distribution

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #140

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
How much interest is there in the DryMesh product? My husband and I own and operate several e-commerce websites so we have import and distribution

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
I am interested. I tried to go through the ordering process on the English website but in the end it only said we will contact you via email. Haven't heard anything yet but I expect shipping is awful.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote