Dump the RM8551 ? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2021, 11:27 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The NovaKool R4500, (2-way) made in Canada, sold in the US (San Diego and Idaho) is 4.3 cu.Ft. and is about 28 x 20 inches. Waiting on them to respond to my inquiry. Anyone have one?
Old 02-13-2021, 11:36 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Myron
Appears that can be purchased without the freezer and dc only. May use a bit less power without the freezer. I see no need to have the a/c ability which should also make it a bit cheaper and less to go wrong.

Davel
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:36 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 17B "Tamago", 2019 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax Diesel
We have the Nova Kool R3800, though we did consider the R4500, as both seem to require the same cavity opening, but the R3800 uses half the power, an important consideration when boon docking.

To complete installation, we had to add a small filler piece above the fridge, not a big deal.

As for power needs, we use a portable folding 180W solar system from Princess Auto that easily plugs into the tow vehicle plug. Kinda snazzy, but really easy!!

This past summer, we had great success with this new setup, including the fridge's freezer making ice, and actually cooling, a first for us over the past few years!! We'd do this again.

Nova Kool was also the best priced compressor we could find. Having it locally manufactured was a huge bonus!
Old 02-13-2021, 11:50 AM   #24

Tworainy

Thanks for the reply. That’s a great point with 3800 using less power. Seems to be a good trade for less than a cu ft difference in size. I also have 180 watts of portable panels so hopefully be good to go.

Davel
Old 02-13-2021, 11:56 AM   #25

What's interesting is the R3802 (3.5 cu f., no freezer) - is the same cut out dimension as the R4500.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:16 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Cool!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
What's interesting is the R3802 (3.5 cu f., no freezer) - is the same cut out dimension as the R4500.
Hi: MyronL... I find it's easier to realize these units are not "Residential fridges". They take more attention and time to operate but our RML8551 will still keep ice cubes frozen and food safe to eat. Even though I have done some mods to help... you gotta give 'em time. Thanks Rossue!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Check the depth of cutout ... 18" vs 21" could account for the different interior volume?
Old 02-13-2021, 02:47 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: MyronL... I find it's easier to realize these units are not "Residential fridges". They take more attention and time to operate but our RMS8551 will still keep ice cubes frozen and food safe to eat. Even though I have done some mods to help... you gotta give 'em time. Alf
Hey Alf! Don't you have an RML8555 single door 6.7 fridge? I had that as well, however went for the swap offer Reace negotiated. The SS shelves inside the RML are way better than the plastic crap in the RMD.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
Greg it doesn’t appear that the Amish make a replacement for our fridge, that I could find on their site.
Davel
Not currently, but when I spoke with them a few years back they said they had never had any of the RMD units to fabricate. Said if I came there, they'd provide the overnight parking and they would pull the cooling unit and build a replacement out for it. Going forward, after replacing mine, they would would be able to offer it.
Of course, things may have changed and they no longer want to do that, but worth a call.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:33 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hey Alf! Don't you have an RML8555 single door 6.7 fridge? I had that as well, however went for the swap offer Reace negotiated. The SS shelves inside the RML are way better than the plastic crap in the RMD.
Iowa Dave, no, lets give credit where it is due, Rita showed us a mod for the RMD. Easy to make metal shelves for the "beast". After the second shelf cracked to the tune of $80 it was a welcome discovery. The solution is closet shelves sold at Home Depot. Cut to size and flipped they really work well. Very limited cutting that can be made easier with an electric tool. Some plastic tips to cover cut area and you are in business. I believe they will work in any RMxxx model.

There are so many problems with that refrigerator that several threads have been devoted to it. The list is impressive:
  1. Vulnerable to a weak propane regulator
  2. Cavity not insulated
  3. Flame out when driving
  4. Inability to exhaust heat out top vent
  5. Orifice clogs
The worst part is there is not one solution. Can you tell I have been there?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:15 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
There are so many problems with that refrigerator that several threads have been devoted to it. The list is impressive:
  1. Vulnerable to a weak propane regulator
  2. Cavity not insulated
  3. Flame out when driving
  4. Inability to exhaust heat out top vent
  5. Orifice clogs
6. Can't provide enough cooling in 100F+ conditions (gas or 110VAC).
7. Shelves prone to cracking.
8. Door prone to opening on its own.
9. Insecure mounting in the frame (screws don't bite into solid wood.)

My single biggest complaint, anything else is trivial by comparison.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Not currently, but when I spoke with them a few years back they said they had never had any of the RMD units to fabricate. Said if I came there, they'd provide the overnight parking and they would pull the cooling unit and build a replacement out for it. Going forward, after replacing mine, they would would be able to offer it.
Of course, things may have changed and they no longer want to do that, but worth a call.
Greg A
Thanks for the reply. That’s an interesting offer and definitely worth a follow up call.
At this point Myron is having more problems with his 8551 than I am, however that could change with the next trip!
Davel
Old 02-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Iowa Dave, no, lets give credit where it is due, Rita showed us a mod for the RMD. Easy to make metal shelves for the "beast". After the second shelf cracked to the tune of $80 it was a welcome discovery. The solution is closet shelves sold at Home Depot. Cut to size and flipped they really work well. Very limited cutting that can be made easier with an electric tool. Some plastic tips to cover cut area and you are in business. I believe they will work in any RMxxx model.
I did order the white close-spaces shelves Home Depot and they work well, although I recently supported from underneath on the lower shelf as heavier items would bend it so the crisper tray wouldn't open. The RML8555 shelves are nice, yet of course wont fit an RMD8555.
Old 02-13-2021, 07:32 PM   #34

The big issue is having no confidence that on propane the thing is consistently reliable. When it works it is great, and yes that is, has been, the case on AC or DC.

This afternoon for example, day and night, battery power 2 dots last several days, with 100 watt solar panel, MPPT controller and lithium in play, RM8551 has not failed to please me. At 5 pm today, fridge showed 42°F and with a mostly cloudy day the battery was a happy 13.2 volts. That's on 2 dots. How can you not like that?

I always carry the Engle cooler. On propane fridge is bound to shut down for no apparent reason. No second guessing no Monday morning quarterbacking has changed that dynamic. (Some cheese, please, with this whine.)

Hunt we must.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:09 PM   #35

Quote:
The big issue is having no confidence that on propane the thing is consistently reliable. When it works it is great, and yes that is, has been, the case on AC or DC.

This afternoon for example, day and night, battery power 2 dots last several days, with 100 watt solar panel, MPPT controller and lithium in play, RM8551 has not failed to please me. At 5 pm today, fridge showed 42°F and with a mostly cloudy day the battery was a happy 13.2 volts. That's on 2 dots. How can you not like that?

I always carry the Engle cooler. On propane fridge is bound to shut down for no apparent reason. No second guessing no Monday morning quarterbacking has changed that dynamic. (Some cheese, please, with this whine.)

Hunt we must.
Hi: MyronL... Have you had an RVTech check out the fridge operation on propane? Could be something wrong with just that system since the heaters and adjustments for it are seperate. Ours runs better on propane than 12 or 120V. Alf
Old 02-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #36

Hey Alf! The RMD8551 was a model with a lot of complaints just like our RML8555. Reace got Dometic to help with a swap to a "more robust cooling unit" with the RMD8555, yet the only help for RMD8551 owners was a new door. Not the solution many had hoped for and if I owned one would be looking to ditch the ****!
Old 02-14-2021, 08:07 AM   #37

Cool!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hey Alf! The RMD8551 was a model with a lot of complaints just like our RML8555. Reace got Dometic to help with a swap to a "more robust cooling unit" with the RMD8555, yet the only help for RMD8551 owners was a new door. Not the solution many had hoped for and if I owned one would be looking to ditch the ****!
Hi: Rossue...I never like to talk about "Ditching" anything. One thing I know for sure is this. "For every mile of road there's two miles of ditches"!!!
When I show our trailer the fridge gets noticed. I tell folks it's a real beauty... not a hard worker, but was slim enough to fit thru the door.
The problem as I see it is in the modern world the life expectancy of an RV is 5 yrs. About the same as appliances and Dometic makes 'em that way!!! Alf
Old 02-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #38

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I'll second that. Should someone discover an Amish replacement (for the RMD8555 innards) kindly let me know.
--
Alan
This came up a few years ago. Might be worth checking in with these companies again and seeing if there are any options available. I would start with JC and National RV Refrigeration.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...s-11451-2.html
Old 02-14-2021, 08:43 AM   #39

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA/2022 Ram Hemi
Could anyone point to where "Rita showed us a mod for the RMD. Easy to make metal shelves" post is? The mod isn't needed at the moment but I like to keep track of the ingenious fixes folks come up with.
waltkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:20 AM   #40

RMD 8555 2 Door Refrigerator Shelf