Floor Replacement: Stick or Click? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B (The Errant Escape)
Floor Replacement: Stick or Click?

Planning on replacing the floor in our 2010 17B. Would be interested in recommendations/experiences with peal and stick vs click floating floors. I am not qualified to use single sheet vinyl.

The original floor is still flat and well attached, just old with some nicks, so I think I can just put the new floor on top of it.

Have pulled the baseshoe and molding in all the areas to be painted (before the floor goes down), but am unable to get the metal strip on top of the rise into the large dinette out. It is secured underneath the cabinets on each end. Do not know if I will be able to slip the new floor under it or not.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
From what I have seen, sticky backed flooring does not do real well in trailers, especially ones that see big temperature differences from time to time as the stickiness really does not hold the pieces in place well and cracks open up.

Click flooring could be tough in the tight spaces of a trailer but doable. You do have to watch with what quality you use, as click floorings can suck water into the joints creating problems. Some of the better makes do better.

Why do you say you are not qualified to do sheet vinyl? I would choose it over both your options. It just takes a bit of care to first cut the piece to fit, and then glue it in place. Leaving a wee gap at the edges will be covered by the trim pieces going back on.

Whatever way you go, good luck with your installation.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #3

Thanks, Jim.

I guess I am leery of sheet vinyl because I do not know how to install it without any (or at least very few) seams. I thought about making a pattern out of butcher paper and then cutting a single sheet to shape, but am not at all sure about it. The vinyl would require gluing (probably contact cement?) which is also outside my experience.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:35 PM   #4

You could easily do a single sheet, no seams. Using paper to get the edge shape some of the trickier spots can work too. I would likely only do this on one tougher edge, then trim the piece in place, taking only what you need. Having to do a second cut to make it fit perfect is just fine. While a contact cement would hold, I would not use it as when it makes contact it sticks hard, and if the piece is not in exactly the right place...... I would use an adhesive meant for sheet vinyl.

Another thought is buying the sheet vinyl, then hiring an installer to put it in. I doubt it would be very expensive, and then they would have all the tools and experience to get it done.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I agree with Jim, I wouldn't rule out sheet vinyl.

First of all, there's loose lay vinyl, no glue required. Actually I've used non loose lay without adhesive without any problems.

Making a pattern is the way to go. I've used various methods. Cutting strips of cardboard 2 or 3 inches wide and using a hot melt glue gun also makes a good and accurate pattern. I also use strips of 1/8" ply the same way.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
There is always carpet and the laminate floors which you lay and just secure around the perimeter.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:29 PM   #7

Ron,
I am not familiar with loose lay vinyl. How is it held down? I was wondering if I could just use staples under the baseshoe? Intrigued.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Ron,
I am not familiar with loose lay vinyl. How is it held down? I was wondering if I could just use staples under the baseshoe? Intrigued.
There are some sheet vinyls you just adhere around the outside. This would be quite easy to do if you had the sheet in place, roll back one half, glue, then do the same with the other side.

This actually is a fairly small area so just tacking down the edges before the trim could work too, just ensure you have a vinyl flooring that works well this way.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Ron,
To tell the truth I've been using non loose lay vinyl for years in kitchens and bathrooms, just relying on the baseboards to hold it in place. So, yes, staples would work as a backup.

One of the worse kitchen vinyl floors that I ever had was a glue around the perimeter one. It was sensitive to sunlight and would discolor. Don't know if that's a characteristic of that type or not.

The last kitchen floor that I put in last year was "loose lay". Cost a little more but it's a high quality and really does look like real tile.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote