has anyone added more lights to an older trailer? (15A) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2019, 02:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
has anyone added more lights to an older trailer? (15A)

After hanging out a bit in Mimie's new 17b I realize my 15A is lacking in lighting. In particular, there are no overhead lights. All the lights are under the cabinets or shelves- on on each end of the front one under the kitchen cabinet, one on the back and each side of the back. Nothing above the bottom of the cabinet doors, nothing between the door and the back bed/dinette area (microwave cabinet over wardrobe is there.)

So I want to add some lighting higher up. Options would be the ceiling (stick on? maybe with velcro so they wouldn't travel stuck on?) or the tops of the cabinets. Has anyone added anything to the ceiling or above the cabinets? (Narrow strip there so not a lot of room). I'd probably do battery operated LEDs as I'm not into wiring things.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I added a battery powered lantern above the front dinette for playing cards. The OEM lights cast your shadow on the table.

On this lantern you can remove the globe and hang it or sit it on the table with the globe installed. Supposed to run 30 continuous days on low. I'm still on first set of batteries.
This also my mod. I drilled a hole for the eye screw.

I bring it into the house when the trailer is not in use. Part of our earthquake kit.
Attached Thumbnails
LED lamp.jpg   LED lamp 2.png  
Old 11-17-2019, 06:38 PM   #3

That is a good idea. I have a set of four small ones I got in case I have to park in the dark. That would help with light at the front end. Not in the middle, though, not sure where I could hang one.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Bea’s table light is a great idea . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It is possible to retro-fit a light in a new location.

Both Jim B. and I retro-fitted lights over the dinette in our 19s.

Note my favorite coffee close at hand.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
11-11-2014 4-26-08 PM3_resize.JPG   12-11-2014 3-04-20 PM1_resize.jpg   12-11-2014 3-24-26 PM3_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #6

And it is Led . Pat
Old 11-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #7

Mine doesn't have any lights overhead so no wiring up there (and probably nothing to attach one to.) But the dinette is not the problem, it is the middle of the trailer which is darkest. I may just install some battery operated cabinet lights as I often leave the doors open anyway.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Mine doesn't have any lights overhead so no wiring up there (and probably nothing to attach one to.) But the dinette is not the problem, it is the middle of the trailer which is darkest. I may just install some battery operated cabinet lights as I often leave the doors open anyway.
Bobbie , Bea’s worked off a usb . Pretty easy to change plug to accept usb . I changed ours to accept usb . I wish Bea would jump in here . I can’t remember where it was posted . Pat
Old 11-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Mine doesn't have any lights overhead so no wiring up there

No Maxxfan?
Old 11-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #10

Lagun table buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Bobbie , Bea’s worked off a usb . Pretty easy to change plug to accept usb . I changed ours to accept usb . I wish Bea would jump in here . I can’t remember where it was posted . Pat
Bea’s thread is Lagun table buddy . Someone asked about her table lamp , info there . Pat
Old 11-17-2019, 08:06 PM   #11

It's there, not sure I'd be willing to mess with its wiring.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #12

Quote:
It's there, not sure I'd be willing to mess with its wiring.

Don't blame you. That's why all my extra lighting is battery LED.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #13
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post

Hi Bobbie and Pat,

We built up this lamp using this gadget from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Light-Bu...s%2C226&sr=8-4

This allowed us to convert a regular 110VAC lamp to use a 12v LED bulb and run the off a USB outlet under the dinette. It provides a nice, soft light and does not require hookups. (We credit Jim (cpaharley2008) for giving us the idea of using a small table lamp - thanks Jim!)

Here's a picture of the lamp.

As for the thing the lamp is sitting on - see this thread http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ddy-16713.html

- The Bea Team
Attached Thumbnails
side r.jpg  
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:46 PM   #14

The table lamp is nice but I'm looking for upper area lighting. All the current lights are over the two dinette/bed areas, nothing in the middle except the range hood (which isn't LED).
Old 11-17-2019, 09:51 PM   #15

Where exactly do you want to place the light and to illuminate what? I've been inside a 15 that had the kitchen at the front. Other than that, I don't remember much.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
I added strip LED lighting to my 17B. Just tied into the existing 12v wiring and added a separate dimmer switch. Quite easy to do. Added strips at both ends, also replaced all of the incandescent bulbs with warm LED bulbs. I think Home Depot sells them.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
There wasn't any wiring there. The power source comes from the fan about 4' away. It's possible to carefully push a stiff wire along about the ceiling vinyl and pull the wires over.

There wasn't anything there to attach to. I epoxied a piece of 1/2" plywood in the cutout and the fixture is screwed to it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hi Bobbie and Pat,

We built up this lamp using this gadget from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Light-Bu...s%2C226&sr=8-4

This allowed us to convert a regular 110VAC lamp to use a 12v LED bulb and run the off a USB outlet under the dinette. It provides a nice, soft light and does not require hookups. (We credit Jim (cpaharley2008) for giving us the idea of using a small table lamp - thanks Jim!)

Here's a picture of the lamp.

As for the thing the lamp is sitting on - see this thread http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ddy-16713.html

- The Bea Team
Hi Bea thanks for chiming in . I think very nice idea . Also anywhere there is a electrical plug could add the usb connector . Maybe a counter etc. I believe Escape has been adding to their trailers now for years . You want the 12 volt ones .Lots of ways to even add many places in trailer . Thankyou again for your idea ! Pat
Old 11-17-2019, 11:40 PM   #19

Quote:
The table lamp is nice but I'm looking for upper area lighting. All the current lights are over the two dinette/bed areas, nothing in the middle except the range hood (which isn't LED).
Bobby adding the lights that some have done , I don’t blame you for not wanting to take that on . Another suggestion being where you live , what about going to the factory and let them add your lights for you ? Just a suggestion . Pat
Old 11-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
We had a 2007 17B. The previous owner installed a led tape strip light under the cabinets at the back of the trailer. I took it out and installed it under the awning outside. I think that is what they originally bought it for but they didn't follow through. The previous owner also removed all the light bulbs and replaced them with poor LED bulbs. They weren't very bright at all. Often we used a LED lantern to supplement light.

What I was planning was to purchase a 12' led strip light and install from the front towards the back down the center of the trailer, offset to one side to avoid the MaxFan. That way it would provide lots of light and eliminate a lot of shadows. It would be cool to to change the colors too. The light strip would go an with the 2 sided tape it came with and the wiring could of been concealed in the bulkhead cabinet and or tray above the front window .

But we ordered a new trailer, so new mods on the mind.