lifting trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2023, 05:19 PM   #1
RWS

Trailer: 2014 escape 21
lifting trailer

I want to raise trailer to replace tires. I'm thinking of placing the jack under the frame and putting blocks under frame while taking tires into town for change over. I don't think I should lift at axles?? Sound correct?? Tires are from 2014, even tho they don't show any wear or checking I don't trust them...
RWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Yes

Replace the tires and lift under the frame ONLY. It's possible to bend and damage the axle if lifted from there. The manual may describe the optimum axle jack placement position.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Escape actually recommends lifting where the axle bracket bolts to the frame. Do not lift from under the axle beam. The frame is probably fine too.
Attached Thumbnails
C50BE9BB-691B-417F-B810-F6FD232E36FC.jpeg  
Old 01-31-2023, 07:14 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWS View Post
I want to raise trailer to replace tires. I'm thinking of placing the jack under the frame and putting blocks under frame while taking tires into town for change over. I don't think I should lift at axles?? Sound correct?? Tires are from 2014, even tho they don't show any wear or checking I don't trust them...
Took my 2014 to the tire shop for new shoes and they only charged me $100 more to clean and regrease the bearing since they had the tires off anyway. Well worth it in my opinion!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWS View Post
And you shouldn't trust them at over 8 years old. A blowout has caused owners a lot of headache & expense fixing fiberglass. Curious as to why you want to do this yourself vs. going to a tire store? I just bought my second set of Goodyear Endurance for $500 out the door. First set two years earlier was $450. No way am I going to try and save $50 or so by removing the tires and lugging them down to the tire store.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
If you have four jack stands and a reasonably level parking site, here's a simple way to get the wheels off the ground:

First, loosen (do not remove) the lug nuts on all four wheels. Second, lower the tongue jack to raise the back of the trailer. Third, put jack stands up to the frame rails on each side at the back of the trailer. Six to eight inches above level at the location you place the jack stands should do it. Fourth, crank up the tongue jack until you have raised the front of the trailer somewhat above level. Fifth, repeat step three at the front of the trailer near the stabilizers. Finally, lower the front of the trailer onto the jack stands. Done! If you forgot to loosen the lug nuts before getting the wheels off the ground, you will be a very unhappy camper at the point.

No need to crawl around under the trailer to get exact placement of the jack. You can "eyeball" how high you have to raise the back of the trailer to get the wheels off the ground, and once you've done it, you will find it easy to repeat when necessary in the future.

If you don't already have them, suitable capacity jack stands are cheap at Harbor Freight.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Oh, one more caution. DO NOT be tempted to lift the trailer with the stabilizing jacks. They are not designed to take the full weight of the trailer.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:43 AM   #8
RWS

Trailer: 2014 escape 21
The closest tire shop is Missoula Mt 150 mile round trip for me. I was also wondering about servicing the bearings. The trailer has been sitting for the last two years. I do have the ez lube axles.
RWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:47 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
If you have four jack stands and a reasonably level parking site, here's a simple way to get the wheels off the ground:

First, loosen (do not remove) the lug nuts on all four wheels. Second, lower the tongue jack to raise the back of the trailer. Third, put jack stands up to the frame rails on each side at the back of the trailer. Six to eight inches above level at the location you place the jack stands should do it. Fourth, crank up the tongue jack until you have raised the front of the trailer somewhat above level. Fifth, repeat step three at the front of the trailer near the stabilizers. Finally, lower the front of the trailer onto the jack stands. Done! If you forgot to loosen the lug nuts before getting the wheels off the ground, you will be a very unhappy camper at the point.

No need to crawl around under the trailer to get exact placement of the jack. You can "eyeball" how high you have to raise the back of the trailer to get the wheels off the ground, and once you've done it, you will find it easy to repeat when necessary in the future.

If you don't already have them, suitable capacity jack stands are cheap at Harbor Freight.
This is a clever method, but it occurs to me that it would be straining the frame the opposite of how it normally rests, and putting all the support at the farthest points (for a 4000 lb trailer there would be >2000 lbs on the tongue jack). Any info (ETI, frame manufacturer) that this is okay?
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:48 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
trailer bearing service is pretty easy. pop the cap off, remove the castle nut, take off the wheel, clean out the old grease, inspect the bearing, reassemble with fresh grease. also inspect the brakes while in there, and replace if needed. you can get a kit with all the electric brake parts, new magnet and everything, or just replace the shoes, depending on how worn things are.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:52 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
trailer bearing service is pretty easy. pop the cap off, remove the castle nut, take off the wheel, clean out the old grease, inspect the bearing, reassemble with fresh grease. also inspect the brakes while in there, and replace if needed. you can get a kit with all the electric brake parts, new magnet and everything, or just replace the shoes, depending on how worn things are.
John, how often do you also do the back bearing and replace the seals?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:15 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
John, how often do you also do the back bearing and replace the seals?
my mobile RV guy does them both and the seals every time he services them. about once every 2 years. I used to do my own, but I hate dealing with dirty grease, wheels are messy.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel108 View Post
This is a clever method, but it occurs to me that it would be straining the frame the opposite of how it normally rests, and putting all the support at the farthest points (for a 4000 lb trailer there would be >2000 lbs on the tongue jack). Any info (ETI, frame manufacturer) that this is okay?
That is a neat method and with the rigidity of the frame probably ok. You have to make your own call though. Not sure about stock Escape tongue jacks but our Bulldog electric is rated at 3500#.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
if you just got to go to town for mounting. I would just do two at a time. drive one axel onto block's and remove the two tires from the axel that's off the ground. repeat after you bring the two back.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:00 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
if you just got to go to town for mounting. I would just do two at a time. drive one axel onto block's and remove the two tires from the axel that's off the ground. repeat after you bring the two back.
if 'to town' is a 150 mile round trip, um, i'd be wanting to minimize those.