Locked out - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #11

Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
We picked up our 19 in early December and I also recall something being said about the door locks. We have had our trailer out only 5 times! Tonight I was going to go into the trailer and lo and behold the deadbolt wouldn't work , Barry had been in the trailer an hour earlier without problem..I think we both had been careful when locking and unlocking but I think it is the nature of the lock mechanism.We took off the door and Barry had to remove the lock assembly to remove the deadbolt as neither would work from inside or out! so at this time only the handle locks.

has anyone who has had this problem done a complete assembly changeover?

we are the Worth's and this is our little fort....Fort Worth
Janet W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Good idea to apply some lock oil graphite once a year to your lock to keep it operating smoothly. I too have wondered about squeezing thru that exterior hatch, no way jose! worse thing would be removing the hinge screws, I leave my tools in the hatch for that reason.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape
Is a more reliable entrance door lock assembly avaliable ?
RV Lock Keyless Remote for Trailers, 5th Wheel and Campers. Great Christmas Xmas Present!! ??
Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
According to the photos on their web page, it looks like a direct replacement for the existing mechanism, at least on my trailer. What I didn't see was whether it had the additional deadbolt function. I would suspect that the batteries might be taking up the space the deadbolt occupied.
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
I started this "Locked Out" post in Hood River. We had a previous trailer with exactly the same lock and were always careful to "position" the key for removal. This was not the issue. Something was wrong with the lock. Interesting that some other trailers from around the same time period had similar issues... bad run of locks? As to the electronic one. It has a deadbolt but that is the manual key on the lock. So, most people were having trouble with the deadbolt, this might still be an issue with this lock as well. After looking on line at how easy it is to defeat these locks, unless you are the owner trying to get in we have decided that we will only use the latch lock when leaving and not take a chance on the deadbolt. We will use the deadbolt when inside.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape
Dead bolt

From JT Guardian, RV keyless lock
Yes. The RVLock handle does have a deadbolt that is actuated by either the electronics or a key as a back up. We encourage our customers to use the keys only for backup and to use the remotes and keypads as the primary source for locking and unlocking.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I dont know what brand of lockset Escape uses, but this was just posted on a Facebook page I follow: Nearly 3 million RV door locks recalled
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Sure sounds like what happened to us. I may forward the article to Reace. That IS the lock used on our Escape.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I dont know what brand of lockset Escape uses, but this was just posted on a Facebook page I follow: Nearly 3 million RV door locks recalled
Hi: Donna D... Thanks for this vital info. I just went out to check ours and can't find a model# on it anywhere. Ours looks like the one in your link except the deadbolt lock is at the bottom not the top. This requires further checking into. Thanks again. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Eriep.s. looks like our 5.0 has a 44610 model showing the deadbolt lock on the bottom. I'm sure this will be a logistic nightmare for all mfg's of RV's. Check the Flush Slam Lock on Fastec's website!!! http://www.fastecindustrial.com
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
We just checked our 2008 5.0 and it is a 43610 (even though it does not look exactly like the picture of that model on the website...kind of reversed!!)

Here is a link to how to find your model number and key code number.
Frequently Asked Questions

Note that in our case, the model number was on a piece of paper previously glued inside the lock but it had come loose and was sitting inside the lock when we unscrewed it.

When putting the backplate back on, be sure to align the D shaped hole in the red lever with its pin in the lock. And be sure the black tongue on the inside lock handle is on the correct side of the lock bolt. Then position and tighten the 4 screws in an alternating pattern.

Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote