New trailer .... water issue - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
We encounter water that does not taste good. Since we camp on the edge of the Gogebic Iron Range, water is often rusty from the iron ore in the ground. To the geographic extreme we find the water in Florida is sulphur tasting. Both variations make terrible coffee. The answer is a Brita water pitcher. We do not drink out of taps, only external water we draw from a spigot. Saves carrying or buying store bought water, I trust the safety of water I am only concerned about taste.
We recently took our grandchildren camping at Lake Gogebic State Park. Due to the fiasco in Flint Michigan and the states failure to properly monitor drinking water supplies we were concerned . We contacted the Park Ranger and he told us the water was safe and that he would E-Mail me a copy of the latest water test results . As Fudge Brownie said the water has an iron taste but we were more concerned with its safety
The Ranger remarked that since Flint the number of inquiries about water guality at the park had increased dramatically

Just a note ; In many States - State / Municipal / Private campgrounds with wells are required by law to have their well / water tested for safety . There are States that have no such requirement . We stayed at a State Park where they had not tested their water in over 5 years and when people started getting ill they discovered that the water was well over the limit for E-Coli .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Because we travel with pets and we must bring their water with us we also bring our own 2.5G water in the refrigerator. Local water is only used for flushing and washing.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
From discussions with other campground hosts I know that National Forest campgrounds are required to test monthly in Colorado. Doesn't help with taste. In Big Bend, I strongly discourage consumption of water from certain campgrounds - but its "safe". Your taste buds should warn you also.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:00 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I tend to sniff the water before I'll even taste it, and I try to avoid filling my tank with overly mineral or overly chlorinated water. Since we've started drinking only purified water at home ($2 per 5G jug if you self-fill), I've become even more sensitive to bad tasting water, because the purified stuff is so good. The place I fill my drinking water jugs at home goes through a 4-stage process, sedimentation filtering, charcoal filtering, reverse osmosis, and a final charcoal 'polishing' stage. makes our coffee taste way better too, and our electric coffee maker no longer gets crusty with hard water minerals.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #25

We’ve ran into two Wisconsin State Parks where the water had high levels of nitrates (Rural agricultural areas ) You can not see , smell or taste nitrates and standard water filters including charcoal fiters cannot remove them . Boiling the water also has no affect
Nitrates are especially harmful to young children
Both parks drilled new wells but the nitrate problem persisted
Old 07-28-2019, 08:04 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We’ve ran into two Wisconsin State Parks where the water had high levels of nitrates (Rural agricultural areas ) You can not see , smell or taste nitrates and standard water filters including charcoal fiters cannot remove them . Boiling the water also has no affect
Nitrates are especially harmful to young children
Both parks drilled new wells but the nitrate problem persisted
Eat a hot dog, lunch meat, bacon, salami or sausage or drink wine, all can be full of nitrates.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Eat a hot dog, lunch meat, bacon, salami or sausage or drink wine, all can be full of nitrates.
You left out my favorite! Corned beef. Nitrates are what gives it that nice pink color.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:19 PM   #28

Evidently the warning signs at the water spigots , restrooms and rangers station were not necessary and a false alarm
Old 07-28-2019, 09:07 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
... Since we've started drinking only purified water at home ($2 per 5G jug if you self-fill), I've become even more sensitive to bad tasting water, because the purified stuff is so good. The place I fill my drinking water jugs at home goes through a 4-stage process, sedimentation filtering, charcoal filtering, reverse osmosis, and a final charcoal 'polishing' stage. makes our coffee taste way better too, and our electric coffee maker no longer gets crusty with hard water minerals.
Same here and is why we do the same when travelling in our 21. Finding Glacier water or equivalent while on the road can be challenging though. Sometimes it is outside grocery stores while in other cases it is inside a Walmart or Safeway.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:54 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
At home we just drink tap water, and use it for all our needs. We have never brought water into the house. Our water tastes great.

My whiskey though is not as cost efficient.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:58 PM   #31

Good for you. My tap water measures 23 grains and no way am I drinking that. Could do an R/O unit yet choose not to.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:28 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Our water is 0.3 grains per gallon. Not positive what that means but we, and most Calgarians, are good with it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:34 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Portland, Oregon has some of the best fresh water in the nation. It doesn't require multiple filters or chemicals like chlorine to make it drinkable. I'm spoiled! I've been drinking it out of the tap for 50+ years. Sooooo, when I'm traveling I'm really picky about the water. I can wash and flush with just about any water. But by gosh, I want my coffee in the morning to always taste the same. No surprises. As much as I'm trying to get plastic out of my life, I will buy water if it means my coffee in the morning is as expected. And yes, I do carry refillable containers. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Our water is 0.3 grains per gallon. Not positive what that means but we, and most Calgarians, are good with it.
Yeah, what that means is you have soft water. No surprise in Canada, however for many of us we have to take extra measures.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:07 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
When I lived in San Francisco, our water was excellent, snow melt from the high Sierra by way of Hetch Hetchy in the north end of Yosemite.

here in Santa Cruz, the water is very hard, and just plain tastes nasty.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:27 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When living with a well I had a basement full of water conditioner items, After my water heater leaked in 2 years I found out my water was acidic. My Ph was not 7.0 so in came the acid neutralizer people. Then my water became hard, in came the Culligan water people, now I was putting chemicals in one section and adding salt in another and test my water weekly. I bought fiberglass water heater tanks and non metallic faucets and waited for the copper pipes to start leaking. I could not wash my cars as the water left a white chemical dust when it dried. Then my well went up, no water means no shopping for best deal, first plumber that arrives gets the sale. Then my water started tasting strange, well it seems my underground river had changed and now my water was coming from New York instead of Pennsylvania. I was so happy to get a house with municipal water.