Outlet blown - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 2016
Outlet blown

Hi, I was using a hair dryer and an electric heater in one outlet by the frig- terrible idea!! I blew the outlet and have run out of ideas how to fix.. Breakers on and off..no change, tested all fuses -( except the 40's) and all are ok. Tried re-set on GFI on outside outlet..no change. Any ideas? Thank you in advance..

dayshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 - 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe.---
The receptacle is 120 VAC and is protected by a circuit breaker.
The trailers 12 VDC system is protected by fuses.
A blown fuse in your 12 VDC system has no effect on your 120 VAC system

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #3

Thanks Steve..the circuit breaker did not trip..I did turn it off and on with no effect.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L 4x4
Have you tried other outlets to see what all in the camper still works or not? Perhaps isolate the problem to one side of the camper or the other, front versus back? Depending on the wiring, perhaps another GFI on the same circuit has knocked out the whole circuit. I've not heard of that in Escapes, but I have heard of such in campers from other manufacturers.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21 pick up August, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayshe View Post
Thanks Steve..the circuit breaker did not trip..I did turn it off and on with no effect.
If shutting off & resetting the circuit breaker doesn't solve the problem, you may have damaged the electrical connections at the receptacle or breaker panel. I'd visually check both ends, including the neutral connection at the breaker panel (with the power off, including the inverter if you have one).

Loose or burned wiring should be cleaned up & reconnected. If the receptacle or breaker connector is burned or discolored, replacement is also a good idea. If you are not comfortable with digging into the electrical systems, find an electrician.

If the receptacle is on a whole house inverter circuit, you need to check the inverter & transfer switch as well.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 - 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe.---
Just flipping the circuit breaker on and off will not necessarily reset the breaker . Put the breaker in the off position then push down firmly on the breaker handle in order to reset the breaker. Then put the breaker handle in the on position.
One more thing to check is the terminations on the receptacle.
If the receptacle was backwired , the spring clips terminations may be bad . If that is the case , replace the receptacle using the screw terminals.
A standard circuit breaker is an overcurrent device and does not provide GFCI protection.
A GFCI is a personnal protection Device and does NOT provide overcurrent protection
They are designed to perform two totally different functions and are not interchangeable.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayshe View Post
Hi, I was using a hair dryer and an electric heater in one outlet by the frig- terrible idea!! I blew the outlet and have run out of ideas how to fix.. Breakers on and off..no change, tested all fuses -( except the 40's) and all are ok. Tried re-set on GFI on outside outlet..no change. Any ideas? Thank you in advance..
What exactly happened when the outlet "blew"?
Did you hear anything?
Did you smell anything?
Did everything suddenly stop working, or was it a progression?
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #8

It was a sudden stop in power..no smell or sound..
Old 01-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Been there, done that! But in my case it was the microwave and cube heater.

If you have an on board surge protector, there's a breaker box as the power comes into the trailer. On Ten Forward, there are two breakers in a gray box under the dinette (drivers side). I had a self-inflicted wound, and lost all outlet power to the trailer. Flipping all the breakers and reset on the GFI did no good. Turned out the breaker itself was bad (it never flipped off). Replaced that breaker (<$10 at Lowes) and I have power everywhere.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Assuming 1500W space heater and 1500W hair dryer on high you would be approaching 25A on what I presume is a 15A circuit. Is anything else in the trailer not working that might be on the same circuit? If yes, then I would definitely suspect the breaker. If the circuit was really overloaded, which it sounds like it was, the breaker should have tripped to protect the wiring. Doesn't sound like it did its job and you are lucky it just shut off without incident. I would follow Jon's advice above and check both the outlet and breaker and all connections. Safest bet is with trailer unplugged and using your 12V lights or other worklight to see. If you are not comfortable with electric I would have an electrician look at it.

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote