Pictures of portable AC Exhaust Through Window? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles, California
Trailer: N/A
Posts: 5
Pictures of portable AC Exhaust Through Window?

Hi All!

Not an owner as of yet but getting very close to pulling the trigger. Living in the Southwest, AC is an absolute must, but I’m seeing units in the for sale forum without AC just languishing. My thought is to use one of those portable AC units that have an exhaust hose that you install in a window to vent the hot air.

Does anyone out there have any pics of how this might work in an Escape? I couldn’t even find videos on YouTube of how the windows themselves on an Escape work.

Basically I need to know if the plastic “plate” thing that the exhaust hose attaches to (or even one that I might fashion myself) that you set in the window frame will work with the windows?

Not really interested in getting rooftop or any other permanent fix as the whole point of a trailer without AC is to save the money that is often knocked off the asking price.

The AC would only come into play on the hot days of summer, so while it’s not an ideal solution, it’ll do the job for those few months of the year.

Thanks all!
__________________

mstrsltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Steve Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fremont, California
Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Posts: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrsltr View Post
Hi All!

Not an owner as of yet but getting very close to pulling the trigger. Living in the Southwest, AC is an absolute must, but I’m seeing units in the for sale forum without AC just languishing. My thought is to use one of those portable AC units that have an exhaust hose that you install in a window to vent the hot air.

Does anyone out there have any pics of how this might work in an Escape? I couldn’t even find videos on YouTube of how the windows themselves on an Escape work.

Basically I need to know if the plastic “plate” thing that the exhaust hose attaches to (or even one that I might fashion myself) that you set in the window frame will work with the windows?

Not really interested in getting rooftop or any other permanent fix as the whole point of a trailer without AC is to save the money that is often knocked off the asking price.

The AC would only come into play on the hot days of summer, so while it’s not an ideal solution, it’ll do the job for those few months of the year.

Thanks all!

Ron in B.C. is the only one I am aware of, mstrsltr :

Install an air conditioner yourself
__________________

__________________
Steve and Debbie
2016 - 21'

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles, California
Trailer: N/A
Posts: 5
An impressive solution, but not really what I’m after.

That’s a plain ‘ol window unit he’s using, in the escape hatch no less! I’m talking about a portable AC unit with the exhaust hose that mounts in a window. I’ve seen people achieve it with sliding windows on other trailers, but haven’t seen an Escape specifically.

Thanks for your reply tho!
mstrsltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 182
THIS is what you need to do

Ductless A/C install....

Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 18,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrsltr View Post
An impressive solution, but not really what I’m after.

That’s a plain ‘ol window unit he’s using, in the escape hatch no less! I’m talking about a portable AC unit with the exhaust hose that mounts in a window. I’ve seen people achieve it with sliding windows on other trailers, but haven’t seen an Escape specifically.

Thanks for your reply tho!
Perhaps you can be the first in this endeavor, someone has to be the first?
__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong.....
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #6
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,556
If the OP is really intent, I suggest adding a dedicated exhaust port through the side wall with an outside hatch to open when the AC is in use - add some bug screen, and you're good to go.
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,326
The better portable air conditioners have both intake and exhaust hoses, so they don't blow your conditioned air outside only to be replaced by more hot and moist air through a window or other vent. That means planning for a plate in a window that handles both hoses, or two fittings through the wall.

I have one of these portable units (used in the house), and although it has only half the cooling capacity of a typical RV unit it seems like a really bulky thing to have in a trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:21 AM   #8
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The better portable air conditioners have both intake and exhaust hoses, so they don't blow your conditioned air outside only to be replaced by more hot and moist air through a window or other vent. That means planning for a plate in a window that handles both hoses, or two fittings through the wall.

I have one of these portable units (used in the house), and although it has only half the cooling capacity of a typical RV unit it seems like a really bulky thing to have in a trailer.
True, the one I use has a 2x2 footprint and is 3 feet tall.
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 2,941
I did the mini-split install that was linked in post #4, but that is way beyond what the OP appears to be looking for. The portables are typically bulky and loud. The best I’ve used is a commercial unit made by Tripp Lite, but that will set you back some serious cash. I’m sure some custom port(s) could be furnished at a slider window or through an access hatch, but it will be clumsy.
https://www.grainger.com/product/TRI...idential-6RHW7

You may want to consider having the unit outside which of course comes with other challenges including weight, but should be quieter unless the velocity of the ducts are too high and some machine noise travels in through the ducts.

https://climateright.com/
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
fudge_brownie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Janesville, WI, Wisconsin
Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Posts: 1,401
I think the best solution is to obtain the roof top shroud from Escape and install just like the factory. On my Escape 19 2010 model, without air, the wiring was already present for the air conditioner. Another option is to take the unit to the factory and have them do it. This puts the unit in the standard mounting location used by millions of RV's and eliminates some serious "kludge" issues.
__________________

__________________
Paul and Janet Braun
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 now 2012 Toyota Sequoia V8
Escape 19' 2010 now 2014 Escape 21'
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.