Rain leak - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
This is interesting... I'd like to see a photo of the rain guards. I don't think this was the issue with my leak but would be interesting to add these guards for future heavy duty rain/wind events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
I'm not very familiar with the 2017 17 design, but we had some leaking water after camping in torrential sideways rain this summer in our 2018 21. We determined that it was coming in through the awning style thermal windows. Took the trailer to Escape and they added rain guards to all of the windows, no charge. Said that this is something that they do standard now. Now sure if this tidbit of info. is possibly helpful to the leak you are experiencing.
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #22
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Our trailer is put away for winter, but this trailer has it that is shown on Escape’s website
Attached Thumbnails
131BDDE5-9EC5-44D2-B152-21DB787BA024.jpg  
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:10 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
They only put the rain guards on the frameless windows, and then only on certain ones. you have to purchase e-z-gutters for anything else
Old 01-01-2020, 03:29 PM   #24

Trailer: 17
You can call and buy escapes rain guards and put them on any RV you want which is what i did.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
They only put the rain guards on the frameless windows, and then only on certain ones. you have to purchase e-z-gutters for anything else
Being the type of person i am, I had to do the research as to why the frameless windows leaked at the top. Since I had a defective window from Hehr that was to be replaced under warranty, pulling a window was going to happen anyway.

What I found was that there is a stepped lip at the top of the window that the sealant tape did not fill. I filled the gap with butyl rubber, reinstalled the window with the Escape supplied sealant and it never leaked after that. I ended up doing all the windows and that stopped them from leaking as well.

The pic below is before I applied the butyl rubber.

Just so you know.
Attached Thumbnails
Window-leak-point.jpg  
Old 01-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The early frameless windows did not have the strips and did not leak, my 2016 was that way. I guess sometime in 2017 or 2018 Hehr and Attwood sold out and there was change in manufacturing needing the rubber strips.This was also when Escape stopped offering the small thermal windows. My 2019 has them, I assume your 2017 does not? Thanks for the heads up on resealing if you lose the rubber strip.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The early frameless windows did not have the strips and did not leak, my 2016 was that way. I guess sometime in 2017 or 2018 Hehr and Attwood sold out and there was change in manufacturing needing the rubber strips.This was also when Escape stopped offering the small thermal windows. My 2019 has them, I assume your 2017 does not? Thanks for the heads up on resealing if you lose the rubber strip.
My trailer never had the rain strips or caulking along the top of the windows. It was one of the first few 2017 21' built and was before all the fixes came out (rain gutters, caulking along the top, etc.) for the leaking window problem. Several of the trailers built at the same time as mine had leaking windows that Escape then sent out the rain gutters to fix.

Fixing the root cause (step gap in window sealing flange) means that my trailer didn't need any "fixes" - the windows were reinstalled where they don't leak.

If you ever have cause to pull a window, you might keep this info in mind so you don't need them either.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:39 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
My trailer never had the rain strips or caulking along the top of the windows. It was one of the first few 2017 21' built and was before all the fixes came out (rain gutters, caulking along the top, etc.) for the leaking window problem. Several of the trailers built at the same time as mine had leaking windows that Escape then sent out the rain gutters to fix.

Fixing the root cause (step gap in window sealing flange) means that my trailer didn't need any "fixes" - the windows were reinstalled where they don't leak.

If you ever have cause to pull a window, you might keep this info in mind so you don't need them either.
Tom just a thought ,could the problem be the fiberglass walls are thinner then say non fiberglass walls making it necessary for the fix you discovered ? Thoughts ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:24 PM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Being the type of person i am, I had to do the research as to why the frameless windows leaked at the top. Since I had a defective window from Hehr that was to be replaced under warranty, pulling a window was going to happen anyway.

What I found was that there is a stepped lip at the top of the window that the sealant tape did not fill. I filled the gap with butyl rubber, reinstalled the window with the Escape supplied sealant and it never leaked after that. I ended up doing all the windows and that stopped them from leaking as well.

The pic below is before I applied the butyl rubber.

Just so you know.
Tom: Did you relay this to Escape? Maybe they can implement a fix of their own or alert their supplier. Personally I have found it hard to believe that an unsightly strip of plastic is needed above the newer awning style windows so they don’t leak.