Retractable Screen Door Problem - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #21

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Thanks
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:56 AM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

Leftover pieces are usually not a good sign... when reassembling anything. I always consider no leftover pieces to be a good indicator of success when building anything from a kit.
I hope they were just extra because the doorway is narrower than the maximum.

The three most feared words in the English language.
"Some Assembly Required"
Old 06-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Direct link to replacement screen

Marant: For some reason it is impossible to find a link to screen parts from the Seiki site. This link was provided to me from ETI. It is the replacement cartridge for the Vista Plus screen.
SEIKI SCREEN SYSTEMS | Replacement Parts

Parts of the full install instructions will give you an idea of what you need to do.
http://www.seikiscreensystems.com/pr...plus_right.pdf
Old 06-16-2019, 07:58 AM   #24

Rubicon

Yes, I had the same problem with the Seiki site. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Marant: For some reason it is impossible to find a link to screen parts from the Seiki site. This link was provided to me from ETI. It is the replacement cartridge for the Vista Plus screen.
SEIKI SCREEN SYSTEMS | Replacement Parts

Parts of the full install instructions will give you an idea of what you need to do.
http://www.seikiscreensystems.com/pr...plus_right.pdf
Dave if it helps , when we installed new thicker flooring in trailer , needed to remove the whole screen door assembly. Yes the screen is a cartridge. I needed to cut a little off for the new flooring and then reinstall . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #26

Referral site worked perfectly. Cartridge ordered.

Thanks again
Old 06-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Referral site worked perfectly. Cartridge ordered.
Thanks again
Glad it worked. Finally figured out how to get to the parts on the Seiki site. From the home page there is a box that says “Shop for Products and Parts Online”. Somehow I missed that before.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
' The installer said to make sure you do not take apart the screen from the bottom when you have it out. Apparently the springs inside will let go…making a mess'
The bottom cap on our Vista retractable screen is cracked, and I wanted to order and install a replacement. From looking through the install instructions, it looks like the sliding bar is removed from the bottom cap during assembly, but the bottom cap is not removed from the black sliding track. Can anyone tell me if it is safe to remove the bottom cap without 'making a mess' ? I suspect that I might have to put all those black pieces together again, but at least not mess with the mesh and spring assembly.

Has anybody ordered replacement parts from the web site recently as described in earlier posts? The site seems to work to select items, but I get sent to PayPal for payment before filling in my contact or delivery information. I am just wondering if the ordering process still works these days.

Thanks!
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
Has anybody ordered replacement parts from the web site recently as described in earlier posts? The site seems to work to select items, but I get sent to PayPal for payment before filling in my contact or delivery information. I am just wondering if the ordering process still works these days.
It works. Just checkout as a guest when you get to the PayPal prompt and click “Pay with Debit or Credit card” and it will ask you for your information.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:20 PM   #30

Thanks, Dave.

I also sent an email from the website contact page and got an overnight response confirming they can process the order, so I have ordered the part.

I have also looked at the bottom track on the door more closely. I have found the black string that holds all the black track pieces together (described in Dave Walter's post), and realize that is what supplies the tension to close the door. I had incorrectly assumed that the tension to close the door pulled on the screen, not knowing about the string in the track.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:03 PM   #31

My last post was incorrect about the door closing tension being applied to the track. It seems that the screen pulls the door back open, not the bottom track. The bottom track is not connected to the spring tensioner adjuster wheel.

I have received the part I ordered and completed the repair. Here are some comments on the process for anyone else who has to repair their screen door.

Online process - this must be the first online vendor I have used (I don't do a lot of online shopping) where the order completion and shipping confirmation emails came directly from PayPal. It took a few days before my order shipped and I got the shipping info and tracking email from PayPal. I was expecting some type of order confirmation from SEIKI, but none appeared. But it all worked out ok, even shipping to Canada.

The support phone numbers from the install guides (both my paper copy, and the new online version with different numbers) end up at some marketing outfit. However, I got prompt (overnight) replies from the contact page on the SEIKI website, both before ordering, and also requesting additional install information for the part I ordered. I have attempted to attach the install PDF I received.

I was replacing the sliding bar bottom cap (look at the install instructions for part names). My main concern was if the retractable mesh guide track would come apart so I would have to string all the plastic pieces back together. Not a problem, the entire track disconnects from the screen housing (fixed side of door) with 2 screws, and pulls out from the sliding bar (moving side of door) at the other end. The track runs between the 2 halves of the bottom cap. There is a spring at the end which hides inside the sliding bar to keep tension on the string which holds all the pieces together.

To remove the sliding bar bottom cap - the bottom rail, catch frame, top rail and screen housing all are first removed. The bottom rail is held onto the floor with an adhesive, either double sided tape or some type of putty, in addition to the 2 screws. I decided not to tape the bottom rail when reassembling, it will make it easier to unscrew and clean in the future. I found the hardest part was trying to pry off the screen housing from the mounting bracket without marring the screen housing with my screw driver. I had to use a rubber mallet and small piece of wood to pop the screen housing back into the mounting bracket, it did not want to pop back in on its own as suggested by the install guide.

Everything else went according to instructions. I cleaned all the moving parts, especially the retracting mesh guide black pieces. The door operates much smoother after a disassembly and good cleaning.

Hope this is useful information for someone in the future.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:06 PM   #32

I missed a step in the upload, here is a JPG version. (fingers crossed)
Attached Thumbnails
VP - How to replace Sliding Bar Caps.jpg  
Old 09-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I fixed my screen door problem yesterday and today just found this thread on almost nearly the same issue.

In my case however the black retracting mesh guide was broken off of the connector at the bottom screen housing. I never liked this retracting screen door because it never seemed to retract itself cleanly. I must have at some time kicked the thing, or bumped it and busted the connections.

I was going to order a new mesh guide but the Seiki screen systems reply email I (quickly) got wanted $47 plus $20 shipping for it. A complete door, if I ordered one would cost about $206. I balked, this made no sense to me.

Back in the trailer to study the problem door and realized the problem was bigger. The connecting bottom cap linkage to the retracting mesh guide, which holds the spring-loaded black plastic guide to the screen housing, was also busted off on one side. Even if I replaced that $67 retracting guide there was no way to keep it attached to the lower housing cap. Also did not want to tackle any spring loaded stuff.

Got the impression they don’t sell what I also needed to fix, that is, a new bottom cap with tabs that holds the spring loaded mesh guide. No wish to take down the entire screen door to work on it. Did think about just dumping it all and buying a new screen door. Here’s my fix. It was tricky, but it works.
Attached Thumbnails
screen1A.jpg  
Old 09-08-2021, 11:30 AM   #34

Nice fix, Myron.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:14 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 15
We have a different problem. Our dog tried running through this screen and ended up pulling a piece of the screen at the bottom out of the moving rail. Is three anyway to repair this without taking the whole screen door apart?
stalance@telus.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:18 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Usually when that happens- if the screen is not torn- you can just push the screen back in between the black plastic guides at the bottom.
Old 06-24-2023, 11:45 AM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
My latch on my screen door broke on my 2015 Escape 21. This is the rolling screen door that catches upon closure. Can anyone direct me to find a replacement part or previous forum discussion? Thank you.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 11:53 AM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
I think I found it on the Seiki site. $20.00 shipping for a $18.00 part? Crazy. Any other suggestions or is this just the way it is? http://www.seikiscreensystems.com/sh...20070803115010
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 09:29 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyone View Post
I think I found it on the Seiki site. $20.00 shipping for a $18.00 part? Crazy. Any other suggestions or is this just the way it is? http://www.seikiscreensystems.com/sh...20070803115010
If I recall correctly - and it has been a long time - Seiki charges the same for shipping whether it is a single screw or a full door.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 10:47 AM   #40

Trailer: 21
Almost looks like you could fabricate o e out of angle aluminum stock n not have to worry about it breaking again c