Help with flickering dome lights - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2023, 09:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Help with flickering dome lights

I have a 2017 19 and the central dome light and one over the sink both started the dreaded flicker. Not long after looking at it, the central one died completely.

I looked at this thread: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ure-13016.html
and saw a few suggestions but I'm wondering if anyone has shown how to replace one of the circuit boards, or alternatively replace the whole light unit with a better one. I'm a little nervous taking it apart and would prefer to follow instructions or watch a video. I see some contacted Escape for replacements - do they come with good instructions?

I don't even know if I'm removing the domes correctly. I'm kind of squeezing them but they are tight and I worry about the plastic tabs breaking off.

So in summary I'm looking for a simple solution, even if it costs more, and some advice/instructions for replacing if anyone can help. Thanks.
Bbawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:57 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have a similar issue. I replaced the original LED’s with a soft Kelvin of 2700. They were from SuperbrightLEDS.com. After a number of years several flicker out of the 11 installed.

Way back Reece suggested using an emery board to burnish the contacts in the fixture. This has done some good, a nail file in a judicious manner.

That said, one fixture is still problematic. Swapping bulbs does not help. I have not removed a fixture to know what is underneath.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
We have a 2022 21C. I have no idea if our experience is related to yours, but we had flickering while switching from shore power to batteries.

After deciding to shut off all led lights before switching power sources, the flickering stopped.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 11:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I had light flickering on 12V when I first got my E19 in Oct ‘21. As soon as I tightened all of the electrical connections under the DS dinette and at the batteries, my lights quit flickering.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I have had good luck removing the LED “bulb” and using a pencil eraser to clean/scrub/abrade the contacts. I then run a bit of a product called “DeoxIT” on the contacts. DeoxIT comes in a spray can and it works great the umbilical cord contacts. And when one of my outside lights wouldn’t come on, I sprayed some of it into the switch (around the edges) and operated the switch several times on and off. It hasn’t malfunctioned again since then.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Thanks all. Mine are the soldered versions you can't unplug. We almost never use shore power. The other lights are fine but these two began to strobe like crazy then one fully quit. I'm looking at these https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Interior...77-000492.html to replace and it looks like a fairly easy fix. I'm also passing through Chilliwack soon so might pull into Escape and ask them.
Bbawt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, led bulb, lights, overhead light