Retractable Screen Door Problem - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2023, 01:38 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
I ordered the screen door part from Seiki almost 3 weeks ago. I now realize they are a Japanese company. Any thoughts or experience as to when I might receive those items?
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 02:37 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I have ordered twice from them- cannot remember the time frame receiving, however three weeks sounds too long. Try this email address:

ms.seikiscreensystems@gmail.com
Old 07-14-2023, 06:31 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Perhaps your item is on backorder.

I got an overnight email response from the 'contact us' form on their website.

I had forgotten how long my order took, but checked my old emails. It took 6 days to get the the shipping notice from PayPal, the item arrived (shipped to Canada) a week later. My order and shipping tracking messages came directly from PayPal.

https://ssl.seikiscreensystems.com/contacts/index.php
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 10:27 PM   #44

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
When I installed the handle on my screen door, I accidently drilled through a string that ties all of the little black plastic pieces together on the bottom and up the inside edge of the door. What a mess. Black plastic pieces all over the place. I ended up disassembling the door and tying everything back together with a new piece of string. Worked just like new afterwards. I even had a few spare black plastic pieces left over.
My screen door closes fine when I'm inside the trailer because my hand is exerting a slight amount of outward pressure while closing, so it aligns great with the latch. But when I'm outside the trailer, I have to use my fingernails on the back edge of the aluminum to pull the thing outward a couple millimeters so it can latch. I was about ready to drill screw holes and install a door pull when I (fortunately) read this post. Can anyone clarify if there's a way to avoid severing the string when drilling holes? Or is there a better way to secure a handle or pull of some sort? TIA.
Old 07-17-2023, 12:29 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
My screen door closes fine when I'm inside the trailer because my hand is exerting a slight amount of outward pressure while closing, so it aligns great with the latch. But when I'm outside the trailer, I have to use my fingernails on the back edge of the aluminum to pull the thing outward a couple millimeters so it can latch. I was about ready to drill screw holes and install a door pull when I (fortunately) read this post. Can anyone clarify if there's a way to avoid severing the string when drilling holes? Or is there a better way to secure a handle or pull of some sort? TIA.
My suggestion would be to first clean the black track, and adjust the screen tension at the top and bottom of the door. That might make the door easier to close. I had trouble getting my door to latch until I took everything apart and gave everything a good cleaning and adjustment while replacing my broken part.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:15 AM   #46

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
My suggestion would be to first clean the black track, and adjust the screen tension at the top and bottom of the door. That might make the door easier to close. I had trouble getting my door to latch until I took everything apart and gave everything a good cleaning and adjustment while replacing my broken part.
Just a reminder for those that may be adjusting their screen that the main spring tension adjustment is done at the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Vista Plus adjustments.JPG  
Old 07-17-2023, 09:07 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
Thanks, but I'm having trouble envisioning how that would help move the door outward (toward the outside) at the point of the latch mechanism. Wouldn't those steps merely change how the door moves from side-to-side?
Old 07-17-2023, 08:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Thanks, but I'm having trouble envisioning how that would help move the door outward (toward the outside) at the point of the latch mechanism. Wouldn't those steps merely change how the door moves from side-to-side?
I realize that making the door easier to pull closed does not change the position, but I found that the door was easier to latch if only light pressure was needed to pull it shut.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:33 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Yep- a finicky thing. Although most of the adjustment is on the bottom- the top does have some effect on the taughtness of the screen across the frame. Perhaps the seller trying to make it work for the sale to you overtightened the bottom. Try backing it off a bit going counter clockwise.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:50 PM   #50

Let's envision a square object that you're trying to insert in a square hole of the same size. If the object is not properly aligned (a bit to the right or the left) it will not go in. That is what the screen door and latch point are like. If one could be the screen (looking straight on toward the latch point), one would see that latch a bit to the right rather than straight ahead. If I'm inside, the small pressure of my hand pushing the screen across for closure is enough to create perfect alignment. But when I'm outside the trailer, my hand pressure accentuates the eventual misalignment.

I don't care how little spring pressure there is to hold the screen back. It isn't going to make the alignment better. It's just going to go "Bam!" (collide) a little harder and faster. Thus, when outside the trailer, it is desirable to pull outward slightly on that screen door's leading bar. That is where a small door/drawer pull would be perfect. I guess if I can find a self-adhesive one that will fit in that narrow indent (slightly less than 3/4" wide) I will buy it, but so far everything I've found on Amazon is too wide. And I'm not going to drill if it risks severing the cord.