Spray Foam Removal - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Spray Foam Removal

How difficult is it to remove spray foam under the trailer? Since I have a 19 with the gray water dump valve well under the trailer, I'd like to do the mod to have both black and gray easily accessible. Is there a technique for removing the insulation that works well?
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I removed some to replace a broken black tank gate, wasn't hard to remove. It was worse spraying some back on.

I used a razor knife that you can push the blade up on making the blade 4 or so inches long. Also used a sharpened putty knife. The putty knife did most of the job. It came off in chunks, roughly the size of a baseball on down. Took me about 30 minutes to remove what I needed to. I ended up with a 5 gallon bucket full.

I used a 2 part polyurethane foam kit to redo it afterwards but I know some folks have had decent results with the much cheaper can of Great Stuff, or something similar.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
I had to remove some to cut the grey tank pipe and add new fitting and grey tank valve . Pretty easy . I used plastic putty knifes to not damage anything hidden under the foam . When I got to the point I could see under foam pieces good , to clean up grey abs I used fine steel wool . I needed to get clean to glue new fitting on grey pipe .
I 'm not worried about replacing the foam I removed . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0TA
I just joined the forum, and working on my build sheet. Would either of you go with the spray foam again or leave it clean to work on projects under the escape? Located in Texas, not sure if it is a needed investment?
Thanks
Pat
DingoByrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #5

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoByrne View Post
I just joined the forum, and working on my build sheet. Would either of you go with the spray foam again or leave it clean to work on projects under the escape? Located in Texas, not sure if it is a needed investment?
Thanks
Pat
Is your home insulated? In the winter we insulate to keep the cold out. In the summer we insulate to keep our air conditioned camper cool. With our Casita we once camped on a black tar slab with no trees and our floor heated up.

Recently, there was an Escape for sale that had minimal insulation and single pane windows. We and others were interested until we found out they saved money on their build. It took a while to sell and he lost more on his resale than the windows/insulation would have cost.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #6

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
How difficult is it to remove spray foam under the trailer?

Put some catnip on the area you want removed and wait for neighborhood kitties to scratch away at it!

I lost some while staying at a friend's during my recent 2 month trip. It was due to at least one of her barn kitties using it as a scratching post.

So, if a cat can do it, so you can.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0TA
Definitely going with insulation all around and the windows. Considering the heat more than the freeze after reading. Thanks for your input. Congratulations on your Oct. delivery.

Pat
DingoByrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Not only for insulation but to decrease sounds from outside by at least a half a quarter of db's. After removing my fridge I used this spray foam, (Home Depot) to refill backside cavities. I also managed to get some on the tires and the gelcoat outside. Using this stuff I found does require great attention to technique.
Attached Thumbnails
Foam.jpg  
Old 08-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks
Pat
The decision to foam or not to foam was a toss up for me, for the obvious reasons, Insulating properties vs ease of maintenance. I got it and 4 years later I really don't know if I made the right choice. I occasionally camp at temps below freezing and find the floor still gets cold requiring carpeting of some sort to sit at the table.

I've had deal with removing it to fix plumbing and had it save the holding tanks from damage by road hazards. If I were to do it again, I'd get the foam.

I think it would help to hear from someone who has a trailer with, and one without the foam, to see what they think.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The decision to foam or not to foam was a toss up for me, for the obvious reasons, Insulating properties vs ease of maintenance. I got it and 4 years later I really don't know if I made the right choice. I occasionally camp at temps below freezing and find the floor still gets cold requiring carpeting of some sort to sit at the table.

I've had deal with removing it to fix plumbing and had it save the holding tanks from damage by road hazards. If I were to do it again, I'd get the foam.

I think it would help to hear from someone who has a trailer with, and one without the foam, to see what they think.
We have the foam and pretty much sums it up for us. Yes would get the foam again for the protection it offers . (Our grey valve was damaged from something hitting it on the road , that wasn't covered with foam )Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I don't have undercarriage foam and think the cost outweighs any benefits not covered by a nice rug... which also acts as an interior gravel barrier.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
We got the foam for camping in cooler weather. Yes, the floor still gets cold, but then how cold would the floor be without it?
The final factor in the decision was for it's noise suppression value. I like quiet when I'm camping. If it helps reduce the inside noise of a loud campground, then it was worth it. So far, no complaints.
Finally, I anticipate it will help with re-sale, when the time comes.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We had a 17B without underside insulation foam and now a 21 with foam. I would get the insulation foam again were I getting another trailer. The floor is very much warmer on cold nights and I feel much more confident in below freezing nights with the fresh water tank being well insulated.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Thanks
Pat
We are in NY and decided not to get it partly because we were inspired by this alternative:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post124917
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and did you install the insulation yourself?
Old 08-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and did you install the insulation yourself?
Not yet
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #17
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Not only does the foam keep us cooler when it's hot and warmer when it's cold, it is a nice sound barrier when camping with others who have a different sleep schedule than us at campgrounds. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #18

I find that our Escape blocks out very little outside noise, ours being the old body style. I have the extra insulation, double pane windows, and the underside foam, I can hear pretty much everything outside.

We carry and use a white noise generator.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I find that our Escape blocks out very little outside noise, ours being the old body style. I have the extra insulation, double pane windows, and the underside foam, I can hear pretty much everything outside.

We carry and use a white noise generator.
I am a little surprised to hear that this is your experience. My wife and I have noticed that our 1st gen trailer with the double pane windows and extra insulation is extremely quiet inside, we very rarely hear anything going on outside of the trailer. Wish the furnace and the air conditioner were quieter though, as it does take some getting used to the noise from those machines.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I am a little surprised to hear that this is your experience. My wife and I have noticed that our 1st gen trailer with the double pane windows and extra insulation is extremely quiet inside, we very rarely hear anything going on outside of the trailer. Wish the furnace and the air conditioner were quieter though, as it does take some getting used to the noise from those machines.
I'm surprised your's is quiet. Wonder if it has something to do with the different models involved. Maybe it's just the loft in a 5.0TA, can't say I've heard anyone mention the issue. May well just be us.