Tire Advice Needed - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2017, 11:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Using your tape measure the distance from the top inside edge of the tire to the fiberglass wheel well flat wall. It should be the same on both sides of the trailer and on each wheel. Meaurure as high up as you can on the front and back of each tire under the trailer to the other side. These numbers should be the same. Use logic to determine as many points as you can that should have like dimensions. I was wondering if you checked the hub tightness where the inch and a half nut holds down on the outer bearing? You wheel spindle nut is suppose to be a little tighter than finger tight. If someone was turning that nut down by hand and hit a burr on the spindle threads and did not actually bottom the nut it could be too loose also. You could tighten it down with a wrench and see if it will move very much and then once seated , the bearings would both be seated and you could back the nut off and then finger or lightly tighten it. I don’t think you’ve got a cotter key to hold the nut but rather the new style spring clip. Make sure it’s snapped on right on each nut/ spindle. You will figure it out. The inflation pressure and wheel balance could be your problem too so don’t overthink this. Some things you might not be able to fix but at least if you familiarize yourself with the (setup concepts) you should be able to understand the repairman or at least keep him from taking you to the cleaners. Best of luck
Iowa Dave
Just went outside and measured distances as suggested. Three of the tires are about 9.5 inches at the top. The problem tire is a little over 10 inches. I will jack it up in the morning and check for bearing play.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Dave,
Have one question on measuring the tire to top of wheel well. On the Scamps I’ve had the weight of appliances was always on the driver side and was usually a bit lower well clearance than passenger side. On my 19 the big fridge, water heater, bath are all on the DS. Should you still expect DS well clearance to be identical to PS? Haven’t ever checked it but interesting if it should the same number on both sides regardless of disproportionate interior loading.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:50 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
Just went outside and measured distances as suggested. Three of the tires are about 9.5 inches at the top. The problem tire is a little over 10 inches. I will jack it up in the morning and check for bearing play.
Is there any chance that this wheel took a hard hit? On a construction trailer of mine, I had that and a suspension shop had to do a realignment, which entails a bit of twisting on the axle. Not sure if that can be done on torsion axles though, as mine was had spring suspension.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Dave,
Have one question on measuring the tire to top of wheel well. On the Scamps I’ve had the weight of appliances was always on the driver side and was usually a bit lower well clearance than passenger side. On my 19 the big fridge, water heater, bath are all on the DS. Should you still expect DS well clearance to be identical to PS? Haven’t ever checked it but interesting if it should the same number on both sides regardless of disproportionate interior loading.
Good point Dave. The problem tire is on the passenger side though. However, I do carry a heavy tool box (30-35 lbs maybe?) in the rear hatch on that side which could affect it some. I checked bearing play this morning and there is a barely discernible amount coming from all four, which I think is normal.

After re-evaluating my travel history I thinks it's likely I've got more like 25,000mi on the trailer, so it's probably time to take it in for alignment, bearings and tires anyway while I'm parked here for a while. Hard part now is finding someone out here I can trust to do it properly.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Hard part now is finding someone out here I can trust to do it properly.
I have NO idea how close you might be to either of these Redneck locations in California. Might be worth looking into: Locations | Redneck Trailer Supplies
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
You can call Dexter for referral, yet remember Occam' s razor!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Even loading

When we had the 2010 19 Escape we loaded it for the Osoyoos Rally and took it to the local
quarry to weigh it. With the sink , storage cupboards tool boxes on the opposite side of the 5.0 refrigerator we weighed it with one side half on the scale at each pass and the
total whole trailer on the scale. It was very close ( within 100 lbs) of even side to side. The total weight was 3680. That said we ran this trailer about 42,000 miles on the original Marathons 14 inch. When I bought new tires I was had one tire with 3/32 left, two at 4/32 and one at 5/32. The right rear was most worn, the left front least. I never had cupping or Uneven wear so I never actually measured distances from the tire top to the wheel well but with only one half of the tire capacity being used there was very little deformation at full (48 lb psi) inflation. There are so many variables and checking them over I sometimes find something obvious and then other times change 6 different things and the problem goes away and you never really know what fixed you up. I start with the no cost variable( tire pressure, loose nuts, brake adjustment), go on to the cheap(er) stuff ( wheel bearings, tire balance). And then get professional help as a last resort. Axle wear, bent parts, broken welds etc. of course you have to be honest with yourself and remember if you did something stupid that didn’t leave a cosmetic mark but in your heart you know might have bent something.
This is all my own logic learned over 55 years of towing trailers and bending some stuff up
along the way. I have two degrees. One is from Iowa State, the second from the University of Hard Knocks. The second cost me more than the first but stayed with me longer. Of course it was a 55 year curriculum.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #28

Thanks Dave. I found a small alignment/brake shop in Santee just north of Chula Vista that seems very competent so I just dropped it off and told them to repack the bearings (which I should have done before I left on the trip) and check the alignment, etc. Appointment tomorrow at Discount Tire for new Goodyear Endurance D rated tires. I'm kicking myself for not keeping a closer eye on things.

ds
Old 12-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I'm kicking myself for not keeping a closer eye on things.
Don't beat yourself up about it Bill. It's a relatively new trailer and you are keeping an eye on things, or you wouldn't have spotted the problem.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Thanks Dave. I found a small alignment/brake shop in Santee just north of Chula Vista that seems very competent so I just dropped it off and told them to repack the bearings (which I should have done before I left on the trip) and check the alignment, etc. Appointment tomorrow at Discount Tire for new Goodyear Endurance D rated tires. I'm kicking myself for not keeping a closer eye on things.

ds
Hi: Kingfish... Don't pull a hamstring kicking yourself. Just think of it as a late present from "Sanity Clause"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #31

Watchful Eye

Glad to hear you’re going to get all fixed up. Like others have said, don’t beat yourself up. If you would have noticed the cupping and done nothing or If you would not have noticed it and suffered a blowout and damage, then you could beat yourself up. But doing the research, finding a shop, learning more about brakes, suspension, tires and bearings is a good thing.’ While you can’t get a degree from Hard Knocks University, you still have to pay tuition. Straight ahead rolling and Happy Camping.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #32

Trailer: 2005 Rockwood 8240ss
Tire problem

I had this problem on a trailer. I’ll bet it’s on the front axle. The axle is bent, no longer tracking true. Take a long strait edge and place it horizontally across the tires. Each tire should point straight forward. I’ll bet this one points out slightly.
FFPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #33

Quote:

ds
Search the web to be sure the price is the best as they and America's Tire will match it. They have a tool on their websites to submit or just call them first. Got a Maxxis for $84; their rack rate is $112.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:46 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Hi Kingfish,

Glad to hear that things are coming together for you. Congrats on the tire choice, I just had a set put on the alloy rims for our 21 due next summer. They look like very nice tires.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #35

Endurance Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
Hi Kingfish,

Glad to hear that things are coming together for you. Congrats on the tire choice, I just had a set put on the alloy rims for our 21 due next summer. They look like very nice tires.
We put Endurance tires on the 21 when we got it home from Tucson. We have alloy wheels. They held air very well and I never added over a pound or two the rest of the season. I now have about 10,000 miles on them and they are wearing great. I’m running 62psii. Driving about 62 mph. I’ve driven long interstate days in 90F temps with no problems. They’re on the 21 that weighs somewhat over 4,000 lbs. Haven’t weighed it yet. Job for early spring. They seem to track well in heavy rain and bite with the brakes on pretty good too. I cannot tell that they have any better rolling ability like Goodyear claims, I ain’t that good. I do like the sidewall strength they aren’t squirmy at all. “Take another half a pound out of that right front shoe, she’s walking up hill on turn two a little bit.” Jerry Blundy
Iowa Dave
Old 01-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #36

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
I had some uneven wear on my tires and had a Dexter expert check my alignment. The alignment was off so the problem was solved! Since they are independent suspension all four axles need to be checked.
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #37

How was the problem solved? Did they bend the axle?
Old 01-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #38

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Sorry I didn't ask them
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
How was the problem solved? Did they bend the axle?
I know a suspension shop I took a construction trailer in to bent the axles to correct alignment. It worked great, no irregular wear after that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #40

Right, my understanding is unless it is a wheel bearing issue(been there, had that) most everyone will say that kind of tire wear is due to a bent axle.

Glad you got it fixed, if it were me I would still watch the tires for some time to be sure.