Wheel lock/boot security - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2020, 08:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Bryan, the invoice I got from Proven Industries for my lock says it’s a 2178-A model. It fits my ETI 19 hitch just fine. At the time I ordered it was correct for my camper, and I imagine other trailers as well. However, on their current website it shows that model as square. The one I got and use is round. You may want to contact them to clarify before you order, if that’s what you decide to do. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:19 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
One can always remove the spare tire cover for the duration of the trip and mount the lock on the spare tire while travelling.
Barry
That is definitely a possibility, but not one I would personally employ. My Brahma sits in my garage unused, in essentially new condition. It was rather expensive. After COVID-19 social distancing ends, if any one would like to procure a Brahma for 1/2 it’s retail price, feel free to contact me by PM. But it would likely have to be a pick up in Florida because I suspect shipping charges would be outrageous.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you are referring to their Wheel Lock Model WL-200...

The real problem with this lock is that it is specifically for trailers with leaf-spring suspension (the lock is a hook which goes around the spring), making it suitable for only 2014-2015 5.0TA's, and no other Escape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
leaf springs with no brakes, making it suitable for no escape ever...
Good point: the wheel would need to have a hole close enough to the rim for the lock shaft to get past the brake drum. Something to consider if anyone want to try this on an early 5.0TA, or a similar lock hooking onto something else on another model.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
And I have a Purple Line Nemesis lock (Nemesis Professional Caravan Wheel Clamp | Trailer Accessories | Purple Line) used for about three months. Because our trailer is now stored in a secure lot and this lock is too big clutzy, and unnecessary for our trips, it sits in its storage bag in my garage. Like Carl, I would part with it for about 50% of retail, after our sequestration is over. Because it is so big and heavy, shipping probably would not be an option.
ColoradoSwany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:18 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
As it has been discussed before, all anti theft devices are just deterrents and won’t stop a determined thief. I have a progressive industries hitch lock, but a thief with a battery powered grinder and a cutoff wheel can disable just about anything. I like the idea of a jack-e-up so you can remove the young jack and also removing the safety chains so they can’t be used to tow the trailer with. Also tracking devices as mentioned and really good insurance.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
IMHO, the Brahma lock is only good for home storage. It is too bulky and heavy to take on camping trips. Of course, if camping in remote areas I would find a way to bring it along. I have one, but I stopped using it. Now I use a War-Lok pin lock on the king pin of my trailer and a GPS tracking device that sends an immediate alert to my cell phone if the trailer moves. That provides an added bonus, the euphoria of knowing that the scumbag thief/thieves if they get that far should be quickly apprehended and jailed.
This is a very good point. The Brahma lock is quite heavy and cumbersome, and can take a minute or two to get it on. We use it at home, but whilst out camping, we use the Proven Industries tongue lock.

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Wouldn’t recommend this one😁
Attached Thumbnails
ABFC9CC8-A696-43B7-BEFA-AE447B7C04AD.jpeg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Wouldn’t recommend this one😁
Ah,,,hahahaha

I think that's a definite agreement on this one!

Emjay
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
And I have a Purple Line Nemesis lock (Nemesis Professional Caravan Wheel Clamp | Trailer Accessories | Purple Line) used for about three months. Because our trailer is now stored in a secure lot and this lock is too big clutzy, and unnecessary for our trips, it sits in its storage bag in my garage. Like Carl, I would part with it for about 50% of retail, after our sequestration is over. Because it is so big and heavy, shipping probably would not be an option.
We also have the Nemesis . We have used if we unhook from truck. Reason for it being heavy I think it is made from hard to cut metal . We also have expensive lock and pe chain suggested by forum member but hard to install getting under trailer usually use for our generator . The Nemesis covers the wheel nuts which is also good . We also have other protections . We just throw the Nemesis bag in back of truck just in case if needed . Your choice but I would keep . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:53 PM   #30

Trailer: 2019 21 foot
I use the Brahma camping on every trip. I don't find it that difficult. Don't agree its for home use only.
dscottsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:34 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottsmith View Post
I use the Brahma camping on every trip. I don't find it that difficult. Don't agree its for home use only.
In addition to the Brahma wheel lock being heavy and cumbersome, when I'm in a campground I'm not keen on being seen as a paranoid anti-social as I attach the Brahma.

Then again, that's when I'm in a campground. If I was boon docking and planned on being away from my trailer for a few days, I might reconsider . . .

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:49 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria90 View Post
In addition to the Brahma wheel lock being heavy and cumbersome, when I'm in a campground I'm not keen on being seen as a paranoid anti-social as I attach the Brahma.

Then again, that's when I'm in a campground. If I was boon docking and planned on being away from my trailer for a few days, I might reconsider . . .

Chuck
I really don’t think any reasonable person would think that . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:43 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottsmith View Post
For the record, I never stated in my original post the Brahma was for “home use only.” I essentially stated, with an IMHO, that I personally found it better suited for use at home, where I no longer use it. But I do not live in an area where there has been a rash of trailer thefts. I am more concerned with theft when I am traveling, hence my use of GPS tracking devices.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:26 AM   #34

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Wouldn’t recommend this one[emoji16]

Actually, that lock did it’s job. The thieves were just clever and resourceful enough (not a huge challenge in this case) to circumvent, but not defeat, the lock. But how would they have fared if that wheel had a locking lug nut on it? There’s no one item that can create perfect security. In the security world it’s all about developing overlapping layers of security. A five pack of locking wheel nuts is only around $30. Put one on each wheel, including spare, and you’ve just made things much harder for the “spare swapping” thief.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Actually, that lock did it’s job. The thieves were just clever and resourceful enough (not a huge challenge in this case) to circumvent, but not defeat, the lock. But how would they have fared if that wheel had a locking lug nut on it? There’s no one item that can create perfect security. In the security world it’s all about developing overlapping layers of security. A five pack of locking wheel nuts is only around $30. Put one on each wheel, including spare, and you’ve just made things much harder for the “spare swapping” thief.
All it takes to defeat the locking lugs is a 3 lb hammer and an properly sized socket. Done it a few times for people who misplaced "key".
Old 04-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #36

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
All it takes to defeat the locking lugs is a 3 lb hammer and an properly sized socket. Done it a few times for people who misplaced "key".

Sure, every lock, no matter how sophisticated or expensive, can be defeated. That’s why “layers of security” are important, not just one thing. Not just the wheel boot, but a wheel boot plus lug nut protection. Not just a coupler lock, but some way to render the safety chains unusable (eg run them through the propane tanks then padlock them together).

Fort Knox can be hacked. Anything can. It’s just a question of the time and resources required by an attacker to defeat a given security system. Multiple, easy security measures can add up to a hard target that will send thieves looking for an easier score.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Sure, every lock, no matter how sophisticated or expensive, can be defeated. That’s why “layers of security” are important, not just one thing. Not just the wheel boot, but a wheel boot plus lug nut protection. Not just a coupler lock, but some way to render the safety chains unusable (eg run them through the propane tanks then padlock them together).

Fort Knox can be hacked. Anything can. It’s just a question of the time and resources required by an attacker to defeat a given security system. Multiple, easy security measures can add up to a hard target that will send thieves looking for an easier score.
No argument here, it's just that some are so easy i don't see their value. I use a Fort Knox on my 5.0 TA and carry good insurance. Carrying around anything bigger or heavier for me just ain't worth the effort. If it gives anyone comfort to add a lot of hardware to prevent theft then by all means do so, just be aware a few minutes with a battery operated disc grinder is the key that opens all.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
A five pack of locking wheel nuts is only around $30. Put one on each wheel, including spare, and you’ve just made things much harder for the “spare swapping” thief.
True. For me, making every tire swap and maintenance task requiring wheel removal much less convenient is not worthwhile, so I have removed the security nuts from my vehicles and replaced them with normal nuts. I no longer need to keep track of the adapter key. Around here, theft of wheels from vehicles is rare, and of the few wheels stolen some had security nuts anyway.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
True. For me, making every tire swap and maintenance task requiring wheel removal much less convenient is not worthwhile, so I have removed the security nuts from my vehicles and replaced them with normal nuts. I no longer need to keep track of the adapter key. Around here, theft of wheels from vehicles is rare, and of the few wheels stolen some had security nuts anyway.
👍
I did the same thing on my wife’s 2013 CR-V. Every time I needed to rotate tires the locking nuts were a PITA. We now have a 2018 CR-V, and it came with normal lug nuts. Apparently, Honda realized they were not a good idea.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #40

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnest View Post
Bryan, the invoice I got from Proven Industries for my lock says it’s a 2178-A model. It fits my ETI 19 hitch just fine. At the time I ordered it was correct for my camper, and I imagine other trailers as well. However, on their current website it shows that model as square. The one I got and use is round. You may want to contact them to clarify before you order, if that’s what you decide to do. -Tom
I ordered the 2178-A today. I expect it to be square (new design) because it is supposed to also fit the safety chains. Before I ordered I emailed Proven Industries and they confirmed the 2178-A was the proper lock for the 2” Atwood-style yoke coupler that Escape uses. This should apply to all models and all years.

https://www.provenlocks.com/collecti...s/model-2178-a
Attached Thumbnails
00B902AA-514A-4428-BFCD-F9AD45CAE5B5.jpg