2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2024, 01:45 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn

Is anyone towing their 5.0 with a Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn? Year I’m looking at is 2017, it has a V8 5.7L Hemi CrewCab with a 5.5 foot bed. The tires are large making the bed seem higher, and I think I measured it from the ground to be 58 inches.

I really like this truck; mainly for how well it has been maintained and I’m getting a pre-buyer’s inspection anyway, but I’m concerned that the 5th wheel won’t be level if it’s too high.

Thanks,
Marjorie
shlm2umac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
That's a pretty high bed rail, especially for a 2017 half ton. But I notice you said "I think" about the bed rail measurement...probably good to get an accurate measurement that you are sure of since an inch or two can really make a difference in this case.

I have a 2019 Ram - changed quite a bit from the 2017, but the 5.7 Hemi is a great motor, tried and true for a long time and easily pulls the 5.0 with plenty to spare. You also need to look at the payload capacity on the drivers door frame sticker, that can sometimes be quite low on a truck loaded with options so good to know. I'm attaching a photo of our payload sticker so you can see what it looks like. Our payload is 1804 which is on the high side for a Ram, I ordered my truck specifically for towing. Search the forum for info on payload capacity.

It sounds like your bed rails, even if that measurement is off a little, will be on the high side and you would need to get the high lift kit on your 5.0. Our bed rails are 55.5 and I got the high lift kit because we have a big hump in our driveway to go over - I have 9" of clearance between the truck bed and trailer frame. 6" is the normal recommendation, so with a high lift kit on your 5.0 you should have just about that much and be fine. The high lift kit is barely noticeable in driving and using the trailer.Click image for larger version

Name:	Rambo payload.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	72512
Attached Thumbnails
Hitch setup with high lift axle.jpg   Driveway 2.jpg  
Old 01-28-2024, 02:19 PM   #3

Thank you, David. This is very helpful. Someone told me the lift kit is only about $200 and I can purchase it at Escape. Do you know if that’s about right? And who would put it on?
Old 01-28-2024, 05:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlm2umac View Post
Thank you, David. This is very helpful. Someone told me the lift kit is only about $200 and I can purchase it at Escape. Do you know if that’s about right? And who would put it on?
You can purchase the kit from ETI as an option on new trailers.

You may want to look at your suspension first to see if it already has the high lift installed or not. Post a photo of it here on the forum if you are unsure. You would be looking for something that looks like this shiny black piece:

Without the shiny black bracket, the silver bracket would be bolted directly to the side of the frame.

There are a lot more photos here to help you understand. This may not be the exact kit you would use but it works the same way.

ETI or ppl here on the forum can tell you which is the correct high lift kit to buy. ETI may instal it or not. You'd have to check with them.

Otherwise, a trailer service shop should be able to instal the kit. Or perhaps TradeMasters in Chilliwack would do it. Again, you'd have to ask them.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:31 PM   #5

Trailer: N/A
This is from the Escape 5.0 Towing Compatibility Guidelines
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1848.jpg  
claude6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
You can purchase the kit from ETI as an option on new trailers.

You may want to look at your suspension first to see if it already has the high lift installed or not. Post a photo of it here on the forum if you are unsure. You would be looking for something that looks like this shiny black piece:

Without the shiny black bracket, the silver bracket would be bolted directly to the side of the frame.

There are a lot more photos here to help you understand. This may not be the exact kit you would use but it works the same way.

ETI or ppl here on the forum can tell you which is the correct high lift kit to buy. ETI may instal it or not. You'd have to check with them.

Otherwise, a trailer service shop should be able to instal the kit. Or perhaps TradeMasters in Chilliwack would do it. Again, you'd have to ask them.
Marjorie

Considering the info given by Centex (Alan) on another thread regarding your trailer, this information about a high lift axle may not be correct.

Your Profile shows you have a 2020 Escape but Alan has described you have a 2015 5.0TA. The above info I posted about high lift axle was pertinent if you in fact had the 2020 5.0TA. I am quite sure your 2015 trailer has different axles and hence to raise the trailer on the suspension would require a different method.

My 2015 5.0TA has the older beam type axles on leaf springs and yours likely does too. If you want more info on that process you can check out my thread about lifting my trailer.
Old 02-02-2024, 01:15 AM   #7

4 tires not 2

Hi Lyle, I do have a 2015, and I believe I have the double axle. And the bed rails on the Dodge Ram 1500 truck I’m hoping to buy are 56” not 58” as I thought. I took a picture but I don’t know how to attach it here. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlm2umac View Post
Hi Lyle, I do have a 2015, and I believe I have the double axle. And the bed rails on the Dodge Ram 1500 truck I’m hoping to buy are 56” not 58” as I thought. I took a picture but I don’t know how to attach it here. Thanks.

You should immediately change the trailer information in your profile because you're causing confusion. As others have pointed out, there are differences between a 2015 and 2020 Escape and many users look at the trailer listed in your profile to base their suggestions off of. You may be receiving incorrect information that's based off a dated and incorrect profile.

Because you haven't changed it yet even though its been pointed out elsewhere I will assume you do not know how to do it.

Go to the top of the screen and click on "User CP" then on the left side look for the subsection titled "Your Profile". In that subsection you'll click on "Edit your details". To the right you'll now see a section that opens and in that section "RV model and Year" is one of the entries that can be made. If you do not see it then you may have to scroll down a bit. You can change your current entry of "2020 Escape" and put in "2015 Escape 5.0TA". Be descriptive, there's nothing wrong with putting a little more information in there. Then once you're finished scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and click on "Save Changes".
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote